What exactly are "Witch Hunters"?

Sororitas attache's? Just a type of Inquisitor? Can they be Space Marines? Perhaps average individuals recruited to be infiltrators and assassins for the "Witch Hunter" sect of the Inquisition?

There's so much glory and lore surrounding the Grey Knights and Adepta Sororitas, Death Watch, Daemon Hunters and Inquisitors. Why can't I find much lore about Witch Hunters?

The "witch hunters" are generally the Inquisitors of the Ordo Hereticus.

In 2nd edition lore, the Ordo Hereticus was created after the Age of Apostasy and had the mission of watching over the Ministorum, ensuring that the Ecclesiarchy's power was controlled and that prelates didn't abuse their powers (such as happened in the Plague of Unbelief).

3rd edition and later lore modified this somewhat, shifting the focus of the Ordo Hereticus mission more towards mutants, psykers, and heretics and aligning the Ordo Hereticus with the Ecclesiarchy.

Based on those changes, many players also refer to the Adepta Sororitas as witch hunters (largely due to their inclusion in Codex: Witch Hunters, along with the Inquisitors of the Ordo Hereticus).

However, "Witch Hunter" isn't a title that is exclusive to the Ordo Hereticus, so it might be possible for other agents of the Imperium to either assume or be called by that title.

Well, here I saw this thread title and thought "Hey that's my thing I can help here" and I see Brother Tyler has slain the issue with one post... laugh.png

If you can get hold of the old Witch Hunters codex that might scratch your itch. They're not massively represented in the general fluff unfortunately, being that it focuses more on the front lines rather than the home front.

In the Eisenhorn novel there also is a witch hunter trying to root out out psykers. This guy however has no ties to the inquisition, but rather is part of the ministorum instead. This was discused a while back in the inquisition subforum: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/315901-ministorum-witchfinder/?do=findComment&comment=4242187

• 2 weeks later...

Essentially, a Witch Hunter is any Imperial citizen who devotes his time to rooting out psychic taint in local populations. Those who belong to the Ecclesiarchy but are not Sororitas tend to call themselves Witch Finders instead, but they are generally the same thing.

Witch Hunters is also the unofficial name for the Ordo Hereticus.

Archived