Any of the graphic novels good?

Kilofix

So between the SW, DW, Ordos, and SoB ones, which would you say would be decent reads?

I wouldn't mind buying them all if they're all decent reads but I havent heard much from others about any of them.

For comparison, I was happy enough to get and read McCragges Honor at its price point.

Thanks for the opinions.

So between the SW, DW, Ordos, and SoB ones, which would you say would be decent reads?

Exhibit A:

tumblr_nm2wga3A4c1tgki4mo1_500.jpg

:D

What is that? I haven't seen that.

I'm not entirely sure if BL sell the story atm - I can't seem to find it on their website. But if you can find the two graphic novels (first printed over a decade ago) going second-hand, I recommend getting them.

There are two BT graphic novels as well.

The first one, think it's Damnation Crusade, is really good. Liked it a lot and read it nomerous times. (written by Abnett)

The second one, don't know the english name, was ok. Story was quite predictable and I didn't like the way of drawing.

If you can get a example, get Damnation Crusade.

Bloodquest comic - Not sure if Black Library still have it or as part of a Blood Angel book they had as a order only?  It was a comic strip that was part of Warhammer Monthly, around a small group of Blood Angels exiles.  Battle Orks & chaos.

It a three serise story, art work really cool & I know I've use the comic for a lot conversion & general get idea for my own Chaos models.

Lone Wolves is also a good comic.

Then, as said there on Warhammer Monthly.  Games Workshop use to sell a monthy comic range from one off stories to one that would go on.  Bloodquest & then Redeemer that Olis has posted where part of this.  There was a cool comic strip that went on for a few issue on the 13th Black Crusade.

You may need to check ebay as they've been gone for a long time.  But it seem Black Library are bring some of the stories back, like Lone Wolves & recently the one on the Sister of Battle that out tomorrow I belive?

And of course there is Daemonifuge, a graphic novel about Ephrael Stern an Adepta Sororitas that BL have recently put back on sale smile.png I don't remember specifics, but I enjoyed it enough to finish it laugh.png

Exhibit A:

tumblr_nm2wga3A4c1tgki4mo1_500.jpg

biggrin.png

I've always wondered where that picture of yours came from...It was always so familiar but I could never quite put my finger on it!

I've always wondered where that picture of yours came from...It was always so familiar but I could never quite put my finger on it! 

Well, now you know. :D

Damnation Crusade. Tasty stuff, the glory days of the Black Templars fluff smile.png

The art from comic to comic changes wildly though, and sometimes it's rather....odd. But really, so awesome. Just look at the first two pages of the series:

http://i.imgur.com/JxvXaWb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/guxzLYV.jpg

Bad assery set to 11.1

Looks like I'll have to scour eBay.

Edit - Managed to score BQ 1-2 and DC 1-6. Still looking for BQ 3.

May get Lone Wolf and Inquisitor new from GW.

Deff Skwadron is certainly one of the best 40k comics ever released.

Honestly you should go digging on the internet for them all. 40K has a lot more comics than just the ones on the Templars and Sisters of Battle, starring everybody from Vindicare Assassins to the Imperial Navy. IIRC most of them were published under Apocalypse titles if you can find them.

There are two BT graphic novels as well.

The first one, think it's Damnation Crusade, is really good. Liked it a lot and read it nomerous times. (written by Abnett)

The second one, don't know the english name, was ok. Story was quite predictable and I didn't like the way of drawing.

If you can get a example, get Damnation Crusade.

The second one is Exterminatus. The production seems rushed, with a cliche story and confusing artwork- the Inquisitor and one of his prisoners have such similar character designs, the artist actually mixed them up!

I second your recommendation for 'Damnation Crusade'.

I stand by the statement that deff skwadron is an awesome graphic novel. Here is a quote to show why I enjoyed it:

"The best means of defence is attack and the best means of attack is a really big one with lots of boys and dead big shooty things and what have ya," said legendary ork smartboy Dreg Zog.

Wise words indeed, and ones closely followed by warboss Badthug as he mounts his counter-attack against his arch rival: Warboss Grimlug.

Unfortunately for Badthug, Grimlug seems to have read more of the book then the opening chapter...

"Jobs a bad'un boss! The boys are takin a pastin' out there!"

Purely subjective opinion follows:

Bloodquest was the first 40k novel graphic I read. The story is fairly straightforward. The characters aren't particularly nuanced. The artwork is much better than what I expected for the most part, but the action shots feel very static.

Lone Wolves enjoys better artwork, but the story was just not what I hope for. Mind you, I read this before I read any Dan Abnett novels, and, in hindsight, the plot and dialogue disappoint me.

Macragge's Honour is absolutely beautiful, but it reads much more like a series of illustrations for a movie production/screenplay. All the same, I don't regret a single penny I spent on it.

As a former art major and a fan of all things sequential arts, I really do wish Black Library would put more effort in this area. I believe that a picture is worth a thousand words, and that graphic novels have the possibility to inject incredible vision into the world of Warhammer 40k to life. I absolutely respect the power of the written word, but I would argue that Black Library novels don't always convey the majesty and scale of the setting.

Blood and Thunder by Boom comics was a good read. It's about a Ork nobs rise to power, however much of the story features a captured Tallarn officer and his attempts to fight back against his captures.

Mighty annoyed that they are all in SB not HB like the previous recent re-releases. Will not purchase in this format.

Whaaaaat?

What's wrong with soft back graphic novels? My Blood Quests were all soft back and great.

Archived