How do you Run your Mechanized Vets

Rommel44

Hey mates. Looking to get some feedback as I am in the process of mixing up my list to try new ideas and currently I'm debating on how many Mechanized Vet Squads to field. Right now in games of 1500 to 2000 points, I field anywhere from 4x to 6x Vet Squads (or Grenadiers depending on the list), with each Squad having 2x Meltaguns. 

For me so far, this has worked out very well, but there are games where I do feel that it may a bit overkill as I could use the points for other things. Anyways, Which IG list do you run (Standard or FW), how many Vet Squads (or the equivalent) do you run in your list, and how do you load them out? And what units do you use to support them. Appreciate the feedback

If you don't run Platoons and like Mechanized lists, I agree that your choice is optimal. Vets spam is great, and if you like to stay in your transport, 2 special weapons is ok if you want to save some points.

I would think in these two options to get to an optimal choice for you:

- 2 or 3 special weapons? 2 meltas are ok, but plasma, if you overheat, can kill one of them too soon, so I would always take three of them.

- Chimera or Taurox? If you are going to go forward to capture objectives, a Taurox can save some points, and with the vehicle spam and running forward with them, the AV12 of the Chimera is not that important, and the TL Autocannon is a good weapon for that transport.

I usually run a Mechanized Platoon, with 2-3 infantry squads with a heavy weapon sitting in a Chimera in the back, and let the Vets in Tauroxes go forward to capture objectives or counter-attack the enemy units that come to me.

I've personally gone away from Vets but have played a couple of games with 2x Lascannon, Advanced Sentries and Taurox with 1x Demolitons and Heavy Flamer in Valkyrie. I used the Las Vets as midfield objective hunters and speed bumps and the Airvets as last chance drop in and grab unit. Support wise LRBT, Exterminator, Hellhound, Scout Sentinels

I tend to take a mix of Platoon and Vets, so it's unusual to not have at least one Vet squad. That said they usually run the same - melta or plasma to get the most from their BS4. Almost certainly mechanised too. I do use some cheaper squads to hold back, with a HWT and maybe sniper but their purpose is to hold ground and offer some support more than any heavy hitting.

i currently run 3 - all the same, chimeras and 1 melta 1 flamer - i know its not the triple melta everyone seems to run, but i like the versatility of the unit.

Redundancy is key for Guard, I found your build risky. A single melta or a single flamer is not going to get the job done most of the time.

i currently run 3 - all the same, chimeras and 1 melta 1 flamer - i know its not the triple melta everyone seems to run, but i like the versatility of the unit.

Redundancy is key for Guard, I found your build risky. A single melta or a single flamer is not going to get the job done most of the time.

but that is why i run them like this, 3 melta are no good to anyone of the wrong side of the board. This was i have multiple units (albeit with only a single melta) for better board control, blus if they come up against a horde/large unit then the flamer will help.

I should probably have mentioned that i dont list tailor, i design a list when i have a game arranged and then find out on the night what im up against!

but the 3 vets is my core.

3 meltas or 2 meltas and hf

No carapace keep them cheap

Preferably in a chimera but taroux work if you're short on points

I'd say 2-3 vets would be the most you want to run. Platoons are always handy for back field hwt support with a psyker and priest

I run 2 meltas in my vet squads with a chimera transport. I don't really vary the loadout, as I'm using kasrkin as my vets, and I run them alternately as stormies, or vets, and then sometimes as armored battlegroup and sometimes not.

Thanks for the replies so far. From looking at the posts, the norm is about 2x to 3x Squads of Vets only for the most part. Would you say me fielding 4x Squads of Vets in Chimeras and a CCS in a Chimera a bit overkill atm? I am trying to find some god balance for my army as I have tried lists with 7x Chimera Squads (1x CCS, 7x Veterans/Grenadiers depending on the list), but I usually am able to field at least 2x LR Variants and a Flyer in my lists for support. Is the Mechanized IG list dead now? Noticed that many IG lists in battle reports, games, and in forums are no longer Mechanized Infantry.

I'm an odd duck, I guess...my vets take forward sentries and autocannons, and hunker down in cover, preferably ruins.  Their empty chimeras are my mobile scoring units...

/edit/  That comes to 145 a unit, so ~600 points, since I take four of them...occasionally just three.  It's 30% of a list, and I know most people like to take the minimum when it comes to troops, but I think I really get a lot for the points, only my heavy support options are better, really...I'll take sentinels and stuff, but point for point, I find them far less effective than my vets.

I think that's a valid tactic

Although I'd rather go with taurox as objective grabbers

1 they're cheaper

2 built in dozer blade

3 twin linked autocannons mean you're still hitting on a ~5+ if moving more than 6" and they're not bad at AA either if you can concentrate 2 or 3 on a flyer

I think that's a valid tactic

Although I'd rather go with taurox as objective grabbers

1 they're cheaper

2 built in dozer blade

3 twin linked autocannons mean you're still hitting on a ~5+ if moving more than 6" and they're not bad at AA either if you can concentrate 2 or 3 on a flyer

That comes down to "run what you brung" for me...I have nine chimeras and zero taurox.  Also, I generally can get my objective grabbers on target in not more than two turns of flat out no-shooting drive like hell operations.  That means at least three turns of sit and shoot at the beginning of the game, so having AV12 and two heavy weapons is enormously beneficial.

In my meta the problem is that infantry out of vehicles is always dead without making a single saving throw. Too many ap4 ignore cover things...

There are plenty of assorted flamers in my meta, too.  If you are relying on a single infiltrating unit with 2+ cover to hold down an objective in a lonely corner of the battlefield, that's a problem. When you have forty veterans camping cover to provide fire support, and maybe they happen to be within a turn's running of an objective, but they are neither critical nor insanely dangerous, it's a different story.  My vets tend to attract plenty of "gratuitous leftover stormbolter fire," but my opponents tend not to base their strategy on getting heavy flamers into position to kill 4-5 vets, especially when the autocannon has two wounds and coming after my vets in my deployment zone is almost certainly a one way trip.  They'll lose the unit without finishing the job.  It's just not worth it unless you have a S6 flamer to double out the autocannon.  Plus, when I do put an objective next to a ruin with the intention of camping it with my vets, I use two squads and try to put the autocannons under overhead cover.

Archived