RG Painting guide up on Painting Section

Arbiter7

Hey guys, 

I thought I'd share with you a step-by-step guide on relatively quick and effective looking Raven Guard. 

I noticed that the resources section has none and thought I'd make one up for everyone. 

I apologize for the pics - they aren't of great quality since I used my smartphone, but better ones will follow. 

Link is on my sig! 

Hope you find this useful ! Eventually I may make a plog with the entire army and its progress.

So how mandatory do y'all feel the backpack banners/icons are for the squad sergeants? None of my squad sergeants have them, as I feel it detracts from the stealthy, covert ops motif I am going for. Also, helmetlessness is a no-no for me, except on Librarians. If a marine has a jump pack, he has a beaky helmet, except when its a Chaplain.

On another note, the white arms on veterans, is that for 1st Co veterans only, or do you do that for veteran sergeants assigned to a battle company as well. I ask, because it says in the codex that RG officers have white helmets, and it illustrates sergeants as having them. So, if I have a veteran sergeant assigned to an Assault Squad, do I paint his arms white? And, if so, do I paint the shoulder pad trim to match his company?

I like the backpacks very much. I don't mind the "stealthy" bit since I think of them as retractable. Once the battle begins, unfurl the colours says I !! The FW decals add a lot of character.

Helmetless also I don't mind at all, because it allows me to expose the pale hue of the marines which gives a lot of character IMHO

Agreed on mandatory beakies on jump infantry. I just got 20 from FW...

Regarding 1st co veterans, that's a good question. No idea, someone fluff-savvy should pitch in. 

I mean look at this guy and tell me he is unfluffy. I think he is epic. And I know that XIX is supposed to be written consecutively but I think the banner looks nicer this way :P

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l28/Arbiter_02/RG%20PG/Raven%20Guard/IMG_1186.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l28/Arbiter_02/RG%20PG/Raven%20Guard/IMG_1185.jpg

I need to do more Tactical Sergeants holding up their Combibolter and pointing or motioning with a Chainsword. It is a very "dynamic leadership" pose.

It's not a question of whether that model fluffy or not, it's a matter of my own personal taste. My compliments, that is a very well crafted model. I just do not do some of those elements. That banner is tight, wish I could freehand, or make a stencil for, the Corvid Rising.

My 5yo daughter is not so much into infantry, but she loves tanks and vehicles. We are getting a Whirlwind to finish my Suppression Force this weekend. But there is soccer, and dance.

This weekend we did a Landspeeder Storm for my Shadowstrike Kill Team. Usually I use Mechanicum Standard Grey for Scout fatigues, but this time I used Ulthuan Grey, as it is much more white, to mark them as being part of that formation.

I think I will also use the MSG on the togas/loincloths of the Sternguard I am working on. Still working on the theme I want to go for. Sternguard are even more "blingey" than Vanguard. Given that, and the white arms, I just may do the golden backpack icon, but I am on the fence about the mohawk helmet. Still, I kinda like the idea of a "lightning rod" shooting force that takes attention away from the rest of my units.

The 7th edition Codex states, "White helms are sometimes worn by officers ...".  This is proofed by Terminator Sergeant Maldax whose "badge" is worn on a shoulder shield with a skull, yet his helmet is black.  So there is wiggle room concerning "officers".

As for seconded 1st Co Vets into the other companies, there is no official word and I have not seen a model to represent this particular idea.  For my part, a veteran gets the white arms: Captains typically have them (not Librarians or Chaplains though).  Also, if armor is seconded from the armory to any company, and they are given the company color they are assigned to, then I think the same would go for Veteran Sergeants outside of the 1st Co.  So, a 3rd Co Veteran Sergeant (who came from the 1st) would have white arms with red trim and likely a white helm.

My 5yo daughter is not so much into infantry, but she loves tanks and vehicles. We are getting a Whirlwind to finish my Suppression Force this weekend. But there is soccer, and dance.

This weekend we did a Landspeeder Storm for my Shadowstrike Kill Team. Usually I use Mechanicum Standard Grey for Scout fatigues, but this time I used Ulthuan Grey, as it is much more white, to mark them as being part of that formation.

I think I will also use the MSG on the togas/loincloths of the Sternguard I am working on. Still working on the theme I want to go for. Sternguard are even more "blingey" than Vanguard. Given that, and the white arms, I just may do the golden backpack icon, but I am on the fence about the mohawk helmet. Still, I kinda like the idea of a "lightning rod" shooting force that takes attention away from the rest of my units.

I didn't like the bling so much, so I ended up buying a box of tacs and mixing them together. I shaved out one of the tabards, but I just sourced extra legs on the others because it was too much work. I made sure each one still had some special bling, but it's FAR less than the original kit had in it. I now have a ton of extra bits to spread around to other models as well, so it worked out. 

I did the same with Vanguard as well, splitting them with a squad of regular ASM. In that case, though, I did a lot of leg swaps and stuff on top of it. It's a lot of work, but I far prefer a toned-down look.

As for arms, in my DIY chapter I paint the entire arm in a warm off-white, sculpted iconography and all. No shoulder pad trim colors or anything like that. 

See, for seconded veteran sergeants, I was thinking white arms with company color on the trim of the shoulder pads would make sense, but black arms would be most practical.

Agreed for the most part Mr Tibbs, I just envision RG veterans as realizing that the enemy will look harder for a force that is entirely hidden, but if there is a visible force holding its gaze, that makes the enemy all the more vulnerable to the rest of the force. So, given that, I may just keep the arms black on seconded veterans.

I often have veteran sergeants for my Assault Squads. I have a dual LC veteran sergeant, and a Power Axe & Plasma Pistol veteran sergeant. I am considering making a veteran sergeant with Power Sword and Power Axe.

I told Krista that I want to finish out my 4th Co, and a few Auxilliaries, then I will be (mostly) satisfied. I have my Pinion Demi Co done, as well as a Shadowstrike Kill Team, and a Raptorwing. I want to get my Suppression Force finished, and build a Battle Demi Co, then make sure I have enough transports, build a varied Librarius Conclave, and then round out my heavy/special weapons for each squad as best I can with what I have left. All I want is plenty of options to deploy so I don't fall into a rut, and the game gets stale. Honestly working on, and touching up my paintjobs has really helped with that. Just don't anybody tell @Firepower...

• 2 years later...

Archived