Phase Form power and Leman Russ Squadrons

L30n1d4s

One of the new powers that Space Marine Librarians get access to is called Phase Form (WC1 power from the Geokinesis discipline). This power gives Move through Cover to a target friendly unit, plus gives Ignore Cover to its shooting and also allows the unit to shoot at any enemy in range, even if it does not have LOS to that enemy.

Obviously, quite a potent ability, especially compared to Perfect Timing from Divination discipline, since Perfect Timing only affects the Psyker and his unit, while Phase Form can be cast on a friendly unit within 24" of the Psyker!

There are tons of potential application for this power in an AM army with an allied Space Marine Librarius Conclave, but one that jumps immediately to mind is using it on a squadron of three Leman Russ tanks. Imagine the following:

-LRBT Squadron -- 3 x S8 AP3 Pie Plates with Ignore Cover are quite deadly to anything but Terminators and heavy armor, especially given how cheap a baseline Leman Russ is points wise (and the 72" range Battle Cannon combines VERY well with the ability to ignore LOS)

-LR Exterminator Squadron with Lascannon - 12 x S7 AP4 and 3 x S9 AP shots, all with Ignore Cover, are great at taking out enemy medium armored vehicles, especially skimmers like Wave Serpents and Land Speeders and DE Raiders/Ravagers/Venoms that rely on Jink saves

-LR Vanquisher Squadron with Lascannon, MM Sponsons -- 3 x S8 AP2, 3 x S9 AP2, and 6 x S8 AP1 shots, all with Ignore Cover and no LOS restrictions, are a major threat to vehicles, elite Infantry, and Monstrous Creatures alike.

-LR Demolisher Squadron -- It goes without saying that 3 x S10 AP2 Ordnance Large Blasts, all with Ignore Cover, are going to threat priority number one for many enemy armies, since they can threaten pretty everything except flyers and FMCs

-LR Punisher Squadron with triple Heavy Bolters -- 87 x S5 shots with Ignore Cover can be brutal against Light Infantry in cover (like Orks or guardsmen or Cultists) and can also be used against light vehicles or even Bikers with strong Jink saves (like Ravenwing)

-LR Executioner Squadron (with Pask) with Plasma Cannon Sponsons -- 15 x S7 AP2 Small Blasts, all with Ignore Cover and Preferred Enemy (from Pask) is the bane of basically anything that is not a vehicle (and can even threaten light vehicles with massed S7 shooting)

Anyway, there are quite a few powerful combinations available to Astra Militarum with allied Space Marine Librarians, but this definitely stands out as one competitive option.

All of the above...

For the is reason alone I will be building a lib-con to ally into my imperial guard...

Also. Slow and purposeful cataphract terminator captain could do interesting things with a blob full of plasma guns and heavy weapons. Plus rapid fire Las guns followed by assault...

Just remember s&p doesn't over watch

I think the obvious use here is a battery of 2 Earthshakers with an Inquisitor in it with a Psyocculum.  Everyone will be running Librarius conclaves, which is great! Now with this power when they put those psykers down, str 9 AP 3 Large Ignore Cover blasts will be raining down at ballistic skill 10....anywhere on the board...

Well, Conclave gives many more chances to actually get Phase Form, which is obviously essential for this tactic, plus it gives you more Warp Charges, the ability to harness them on a 2+, and the potential for other powers too (i.e. Warpmetal Armor power would give the entire squadron AV15/14/11, or Prescience could twin link the shooting of the entire squadron, or Invisbility could make it almost impossible to kill, etc.)

I can already hear the calls of OP in my local club at the suggestion of this, but in a tournament scenario this really is a good option. I've often allied my Guard with BA to bring in some hyped up DC to the table, but this seems like a much more effective use of points. I'm new to vanilla Marines, so I'll have to look into getting the codex and familiarising myself with some popular Lib-Con builds. Having already played with an Emperor's Wrath Artillery Battery (potential S9 AP3 Ignores Cover pie plates without the need for LOS), this is a really exciting prospect. 

Has anyone here built or worked out a Lib-Con with allying to Guard in mind already? I'd be interested to see what people are working on.

My current list includes a 3x autocannon blob with 30 conscripts an imperial knight and a Libby conclave with Tiberius. Between misfortune and orders our lasguns can do some interestin work (tank hunter lasguns with rending can hurt av12 and I've taken down opponent imperial Knights from the side flank with conscripts) the look on his face was priceless. Libby conclave works really well imho with orders and blobs. But feel free to ask any questions and hopefully I can answer them. (Also charging into Death Stars with conscripts and havin invis to perma tarp pit them is great as well)

Archived