Quick formations question

Urzu4

Hello fellow comrades,

I have a quick question regarding formations that came up in a game the other day. Can a similar faction use formations as a seperate detachment from a different book? I.E. I was playin against a farsight list CAD who had allied in a tau empire formation but met the unit and bonding tax of the farsight restrictions thus taking the formation as a farsight codex formation. Though it is not listed in there book, and I certainly didn't mind it just got me wondering if it was legal.

-Urzu4

You can run a formation from another book, however, it will follow all the rules from the book it's drawn from. If he did the bonding knife to be fluffy and consistent, that's one thing, however if he tried to tell you that it follows farsight enclaves rules, he's wrong. A bit more details might allow us to help you out better.

He did it so he could use the signature systems from the enclaves. But he did pay the tax and followed the farsight restrictions so I believe he played it correctly. Why would he not receive the farsight rules if he is from the farsight codex?

I believe this might be slightly more complicated because of the supplement nature. I am pretty sure supplements can use the formations of their base books but not the other way around. You definitely cannot use formations from a different codex from the units being used to fill them. However, you can use formations and units from multiple codices all you want.

He did it so he could use the signature systems from the enclaves. But he did pay the tax and followed the farsight restrictions so I believe he played it correctly. Why would he not receive the farsight rules if he is from the farsight codex?

Where is he drawing the farsight enclaves rules from? If he's using a formation that is not allowed by the Farsight enclaves decurion, that means he's having to draw it from the base codex, and even if he pays the bonding knife tax, he can't use the signature systems from FE in the formation. If he drew the formation from the Tau Empire Codex, he must abide by those rules. Regardless of what he does, if the base book doesn't have it, and that's where the formation came from, that's what he has to use. End of story.

I hate to say it, but he sound's like he was trying to rules lawyer it, to his favor. I hope you won, because either he doesn't know his books, or he wanted his already powerful army to be OP. FE is battlesuit heavy which means lots of twin-linked and battlesuit shenanigans, and it's plays fast and mobile, and they're probably the best at it.

I don't believe he was trying to rules lawyer and it was a fun game and I did win by a small margin of victory points. He was using a FE signature system for a melta blade for melee which fit the theme of his army (tbh even if illegal I would have let it go, it's not that powerful). I was more curious of hat was allowed the implications of could have using our formations with the Elysian drop troops (I like the valk model a lot and would love to be able to use the flyer formation with the cheaper vendetta and valks)

-snip-

If he drew the formation from the Tau Empire Codex, he must abide by those rules. Regardless of what he does, if the base book doesn't have it, and that's where the formation came from, that's what he has to use. End of story.

-snip-

I don't believe that is accurate. The reverse is definitely true (i.e. if it is in the supplement only the supplement can use it) but I am not convinced supplements cannot use the main book detachments. I tend to think the opposite is true.

Archived