REF - Fleet Organisation

MikhalLeNoir

Agree with you but (correct me if I'm wrong), we decided to stick with 20 Glorianas for the Legions.

So let us decide then again about their fates:

18 Legions - 17 Glorianas; Grave Stalkers don't have one

Amphion - leading Sol forces?

Hrafnkel - conquered by the Drowned

Photep - given to the Nightguard

If we say that the Grave Stalkers' Gloriana is given to the Drowned, I can live with that. But it has to be more reasonable than (Hesh, this is not against you) Legion XYZ only has one planet and needs two of them.

Edited by Kelborn

I've got a few issues with the insistence that people say that there was one Gloriana per Legion. There are 20 sons. And 19 Known Gloriana. Of these, we don't know of the Imperial Fists Gloriana, there is a second available to the Alpha Legion, and another of hitherto unknown background. Now, that could be that these last two are the lost ships of the IInd and the XIth, but then that begs the question, why weren't they handed out on a seemingly more appropriate basis? Horus was the foremost and greatest, and had the Vengeful Spirit? Why didn't he have a second to head his legion with, and cement his power as Warmaster? The Imperial Fists at outbreak of the Heresy were Terra's Protectors, surely giving them a Gloriana kept mothballed for such a situation would have proven useful, especially if they didn't have one already? Of all of the Legions, the Space Wolves considered themselves to be the Executioners and to be sent against other Astartes? How could they do that when they only had a single Gloriana, when others may have had two, when they're already one of the smallest legions?  Of all of the Legions, why the Alpha Legion? Why does a legion operate in secrecy have two of the largest war vessels the Imperium has ever deployed given to a legion more akin to operate in the shadows on squad level detachments, as opposed to a vast planetfall fleet like the Blood Angels, Ultramarines, or Dark Angels? 

None of those defenses make sense to me, and I refute that, instead referring to Occam's Razor, and that it's simply, The Alpha Legion have two Gloriana.

In regards to the Hrafnkel, I misunderstood the Prospero destruction being more physical as opposed to Psychic. I had simply made the assumption that the psychic destruction didn't give a whim for the physical distance, and that the Hrafnkel was left wrecked in orbit with the rest of the Wolf Fleet, being the simplest explanation for the loss of the near entirety of the Wolf Legion. Hence, Salvage, rather than recieving it as a gift. This is one of those things which has changed since I'd initially envisaged the interactions with the Drowned and the Wolves, and feels a bit like my fluff is being changed for me. Anyway.

In regards to Worlds, no, it's not a universal thing either. In fact every world conquered by the Astartes was inevitably turned into a recruitment world; Duthovan for the Dark Angels, the 500 Worlds of Ultramar, Bodt for the World Eaters, and many other worlds presented to the Second Founding Chapters typically coming from the recruitment worlds. Very few Legions operated with either a complete Terran/Homeworld split, in whatever ratio, there were inevitably legionaries from other conquered lands. Since the Drowned's inception, they were to never take any planet or recruitment world (with the exception of Styx, for that is their Primarch's homeworld), and instead to simply skim off the prime of a conquered planets remaining eligible inhabitants. As a result of this, the Legion operated alongside a Knightly House, which got to choose which of those otherwise eligible for becoming an Astartes they wished to take as a recruit for becoming a new Knight Pilot, tying them together in a bond. 

So, just want to confirm that you guys would insist on me changing;

- The Fleet Composition

- The entire recruitment process to not be as snowflakey?

Would it be better if I called one of the Gloriana's the Amphion? (Ironically, possibly also an Alpha Legion vessel, given that "Amphion" is one of twin Brothers, Amphion and Zethus; of course, this could obviously be explained away in its simplest iteration as "just a name", in the same way that "there simply are that many Gloriana Class", and that we have the names for these described more often, simply because of the notability of their deployment?)

I suppose it's not a huge thing to not have a Gloriana Class, and that I simply have a second vessel of the exact same capabilities as a Gloriana, but I hope you understand my incredulity at that way of thinking? In the event of calling a rabbit a smeerp would it not simply be easier to call it a day, and call it a Gloriana Class, especially considering that Gloriana's vary wildly in size and capabilities among the class; as notable by the threat presented by the Vengeful Spirit, while others were rarely talked of in such terms, while the Ultra's was 26km, but Iron Blood was 20km, esssentially fitting another Cruiser Class vessel's firepower (if not more, if you consider the overall surface area and greater depth of hull) inside the same classification.

Food for thought.

Hesh; as our lore manager, your Legion's recruitment style is absolutely fine very similar to how the Imperial Fists often operate with recruits.

As far as ships go here's my proposal which I think you'll find agreeable (ultimately I agree with Demus on these footnotes) Morrow takes the Hrafnkel before his brothers arrive and he claims it as a salvage, this enrages Daer'dd and Hectarion that they would come to blows with Morrow if not for the Emperor.

The Horrorheart is the Gloriana given to Morrow by his father, simple.

And finally The Ferryman is a gift from Daer'dd when Morrow is found and Daer'dd's attempt at seeing if could build a ship on par or better than a Sol Pattern Gloriana, so it's still a Gloriana and it doesn't step on the toes of anyone worried about the initial 20 Terran Glorianas.

How does that feel to you?

Edited by Chief Captain Redd

I have no issues with the recruitment process either. I'm kinda confused at this point. Hesh, did you want two or three Glorianas? 

I'm all for everything in orbit around Prospero being killed.

Really? Russ' entire fleet is destroyed, too? I thought that was pushing things a little bit. Yes, it is Magnus detonating, but I doubt the blast zone would breach the upper atmosphere.

Sorry, everyone. Not everything.

The psychic element of the blast, in my mind, would just overwhelm the minds of everyone on or around the world. So anyone aboard those ships would go straight down

Edited by bluntblade

I never criticized your recruitment process. Oo

Sorry if it seemed so.

Concerning the Wolves' fleet:

Was the Nightguard already well established during ymtgr Prospero incident? Otherwise, they could receive a great number of ships to bolster up their capabilities.

They (the ships of the VIth fleet) could be held in reserve for a new purpose like the Nightguard or the like.

Think that Big E and Malc could reasonable keep the fleet for themselves (personal fleet?) while accepting the Hrafnkels capturing by the Drowned.

Post-Insurrection, the remnants of the fleet could be given to the remaining loyalists and / or the Nightguard to give them the necessary tools for their tasks.