Baal Predator; tactics and which version works best?

Helias_Tancred

I frequently have games where the bolter sponsons do more damage than the assault cannon...never leave home without them.

Same. They also offer a considerably better firing arc than the standard Predator kit.

EDIT: Not the hugest difference I suppose but least you'll get both bolters on more things.

16311687063_ae5887b115_z.jpg

I frequently have games where the bolter sponsons do more damage than the assault cannon...never leave home without them.

Same. They also offer a considerably better firing arc than the standard Predator kit.

EDIT: Not the hugest difference I suppose but least you'll get both bolters on more things.

16311687063_ae5887b115_z.jpg

Wow, I had never noticed this - do they have different sponson mount bits??  Or is it just because the Heavy Bolter barrels are shorter, so you mean it's got better arcs than lascannon sponsons?

As some who's built a couple if Baals and has just recently built a standard pred i can conform the sponson mounts are indeed different.

I didn't realise the difference in arc though...

I if running the flame storm I personally wouldn't bother with sponsons. Most of the time you'll be moving 12", and if you're not shooting the flame storm you're probably best flat outing to get into cover/better positioning. A storm bolter might not be a bad shout...or a HK missile to ping off a S8 shot early on...

I've got a team game this week, only 1k per player, so I might try the cheap flamestorm Baal.

EDC

As some who's built a couple if Baals and has just recently built a standard pred i can conform the sponson mounts are indeed different.

I didn't realise the difference in arc though...

I if running the flame storm I personally wouldn't bother with sponsons. Most of the time you'll be moving 12", and if you're not shooting the flame storm you're probably best flat outing to get into cover/better positioning. A storm bolter might not be a bad shout...or a HK missile to ping off a S8 shot early on...

I've got a team game this week, only 1k per player, so I might try the cheap flamestorm Baal.

EDC

Eager to see your results!

As was pointed out, they are differently crafted sponsons between the Predator kits. The evil part of me wanted to magnetize lascannons onto Baal sponsons and use that tank as the standard Predator but that most certainly would be modeling for advantage. How would I sleep at night knowing my sponsons might both get used??

Isn't the firing arc of sponsons defined explicitly in the rule book, despite how they're modeled? Am I thinking of a previous edition?

Predator sponsons are in the BRB and are 180 degrees... Unless you have a second edition Predator in which case they have 90 degree arcs like a Leman Russ.

Isn't the firing arc of sponsons defined explicitly in the rule book, despite how they're modeled? Am I thinking of a previous edition?

Predator sponsons are in the BRB and are 180 degrees... Unless you have a second edition Predator in which case they have 90 degree arcs like a Leman Russ.

Predator sponsons are just wider than 180 degrees, likewise with the Leman Russ example being just more than 90. Check it out on pg. 74 :)

I've got a game against a Genestealer cult with 'nid allies tonight.

I cant think of a better time to use a flamerpread. >:D

They're pretty effective against Orks, but then I usually go assault cannon/heavy flamers because the AP3 of the flamestorm seems a moot point againt the green tide.

I've got a game against a Genestealer cult with 'nid allies tonight.

I cant think of a better time to use a flamerpread. >biggrin.png

They're pretty effective against Orks, but then I usually go assault cannon/heavy flamers because the AP3 of the flamestorm seems a moot point againt the green tide.

Ignore cover AP3 on Nob Bikers is a pretty big deal though!

Archived