Genetics in 40k: a random musing/justification of fluff

BitsHammer

So as I typically do I was mulling some stuff over in my mind on the way to work and was struck by a random thought on why the Emperor needs to use the Y chromosome to make Marines. Basically it's because of something the gene has: a short leg. My thought is to minimize rejection, failure and catastrophic mutation the geneseed amends that short leg of the Y early in puberty basically making it an artificial X. The body is already geared to read that chromosome for puberty so it just reads the additional instructions on top of the base ones.

Also crossed my mind is that the switch for psykers is likely in the X chromosome since both sexes can be psykers.

Thoughts, or disagreements?

22 other pairs of chromosomes that men and women share as well. No reason for psyker-related genes to be on the X, or even for it to be a single gene and not some extremely complex collection of semi-random genes that triggers psyker-manifestation.

22 other pairs of chromosomes that men and women share as well. No reason for psyker-related genes to be on the X, or even for it to be a single gene and not some extremely complex collection of semi-random genes that triggers psyker-manifestation.

Good point.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it said before, that the reason that males are used, is the inherent aggression. That's why the process begins before puberty, on top of the body's natural growth and development at that stage. Basically, Space Marines are hormone-raging teenagers. 
The ultimate reason was probably the simple fact that human males are typically larger and stronger, on average. Because of the prevalence of melee combat pre- and post-Unity, this was obviously a major concern. Once this was determined, I assume that the Emperor designed the implants with a male subject in mind. 

I would assume that not all implants are necessarily male-specific, but the main ones I see are the Biscopea & Ossmodula, as they involve synthetic HGH, as well as controlled stimulation of the pituitary gland, which results in a larger-scale, but still obviously male, musculo-skeletal system. 

Yes/No?

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong but I always thought the emperor created the original batch of gene-seed from his own genetic template.

I only have a basic understanding of genetics but wouldnt it be easier to copy the template without trying to change the gender??? (confused)

Archived