Help turn my bunch of Guard into a fighting force

Hi folks,

I have literally no experience with Guard but came into the possession of a whole load of models from a friend. I’ve totted up roughly what there is, but I wondered if anyone could look over it and suggest what I could add in/take out to make things a bit more competitive. It comes to roughly 1650 as it is though. Any thoughts would be great.

HQ

Commissar Yarrick

Company Commander, power fist
Regimental standard
Vox-caster
3 guardsmen

Other

Ministorum Priest
Ministorum Priest

Troops

Platoon Command Squad
Vox-caster
Meltagun
Plasmagun

Infantry Squad
Vox-caster
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon team

Infantry Squad
Vox-caster
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon team

Infantry Squad
Vox-caster
Flamer

Platoon Command Squad
Vox-caster
Grenade Launcher
Plasmagun

Infantry Squad
Vox-caster
Grenade Launcher
Heavy Bolter team

Infantry Squad
Vox-caster
Flamer
Autocannon team

Infantry Squad
Vox-caster
Flamer

Veteran Squad
Vox-caster
2 Meltaguns

Veteran Squad
Vox-caster
2 Meltaguns

Fast Attack

3 Valkyries/Vendettas

Heavy Support

Avenger Strike Fighter

I'd say this is a great core to a list - you have plenty of troopers and aircraft so you've already got something to work with. I'd look into adding armour, some Chimeras for Vets and your CCS is always good to have and of course Guard tanks are solid and reliable :) It depends on how you'd like to run your army, for example you could add some artillery to get an artillery company. Got any pictures of your new models to show us?

Thanks for the replies guys smile.png

@WarriorFish. I think the investment in the tanks might be the way to go, but I'll have a look into the artillery options as well. I don't have any pictures just now, but I'll take a few tonight with everything out.

@duz_. I've never heard of that formation before, but that gives me something else to look into. Unfortunately the veterans are painted a very different scheme to the regulars, but I suppose I could just attach a special weapon to the guy's backpack to increase the number of specials in the squad. The CCS though could probably take one.

I can't remember the exact name of the formation. If you haven't already though, its definitely worth buying and downloading a copy of the Cadia formation supplement from BL.

There's also the Emperors Wrath artillery formation in there too.

Dettol is always good for stripping models so you can repaint ;)

Its more the case when you're paying 10-15pts for plasma and melta you want to increase your chances of hitting with them. Especially for plasma where you risk it getting hot.

You also will want to consider some chimera or taroux transports for your vets and CCS. You do have 3 flyers though so they can always ride in them. Personally I prefer as many of my units as possible on the table turn 1.

+1 for Dettol and a sonic cleaner. Like magic. Get a cheap electric toothbrush to do the scrubbing for you and you're laughing. Wish I had done it sooner!

I also agree on the more units thing, Guard do well with numbers generally so having enough to weather the storm and throw out one of your own has always served me well :) Looking forward to seeing more :tu:

Stripping a few keys models is always an option. I'm trying to avoid repainting too much as there's new stuff to add and it's not really my main army.

A little late, but picture as promised.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/image-17-05-16-09-30-3_zpsvxfrss5j.jpeg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/image-17-05-16-09-30-1_zpstsqhpqjs.jpeg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/image-17-05-16-09-30-2_zpszsp1ux27.jpeg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/craigoffilth/image-17-05-16-09-30_zpsv2m4mlnr.jpeg

That looks like a very nice army, the original owner clearly knew the devotion Guard deserve! Glad you've given them a good home :) I think the Vets look fine, they're not that different as it's just the fatigues I think which can be easily repainted if you wanted :)

Archived