Gnenthaal's Space Wolves - Thornik Frostwrath CoF

Hi Brothers, Traitors and fellow Painters.

I've been lurking down here for a while, feeding my needs for hobby, getting inspiration, ideas and so on…

My hobby (like everyone else here I think) has had ups and downs. For the last two years or so, it's back again to its higher levels. And that's damn good ! :biggrin.:

While I've started a topic in the fur-ious Space Wolves section where I've pledge my self for the fifth ETL, I thought it was time I started a topic here too.

Getting your feedbacks, giving some. Sharing thoughs, inspirations and experience around brushes, paints and minis.

For now here are the things I've started to work on for the ETL :

- fenrissian wolves

FenrissianWolves airbrush ALL

FenrissianWolf airbrush 2

FenrissianWolf airbrush 1

Thunderwolves (marines only ATM) :

860191ETLVOW1WGairbrush

There's also a Fireraptor I started last year which need to befinished. Maybe after the ETL.

FireRaptor 3

FireRaptor 2

FireRaptor 1

I also have a few other thing that I have to share, but that are finished or nearly, like the sicaran in my space wolves section topic.

C&C are obviously welcome, and, if my english sounds weird (grammar, strange syntax, any mistakes), please pardon my french and let me know so that I can correct it.

Thanks,
Gnenthaal
Edited by gnenthaal

Hi fellows.

Thanks Codyrstuart !

Yes, airbrush can be a good gain of time and effort. But it needs to be mastered. You'll need to exercise to gain precision. There is a triptyc : distance - pressure - dilution.

My advice would be : thin, thin thin. Thin your paint, work with several transparent layers upon a preshaded undercoat.

But, back to thunderwolves.

Could put my hands on the airbrush yesterday evening, thank to my tender half falling asleep on the coach.

So I dealt with the 6 first thunderwolves.

I will use 4 different tones on the 12 wolves, 1 per miniature box with variations in order to have wolves that do not look too much like each other.

Yesterday I starded with the neutral grey and the blue grey which are close.

sml_gallery_70010_12076_356295.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_98025.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_272195.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_28382.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_210998.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_303619.jpg

The result is still "flat" but it's quite normal with the airbrush on such a texture. A few washes and (not too) drybrushes will make the fur sculpt pop.

Tell me, what do you think of them so far ? To me, some wolves are still too similar. I'll try to mark the difference with regular brush and the washes (might add on some a brownish wash).

So next to the 8 left. I shall run them as 2*3 brownish tones, plus a black-black one on the wolflord's wolf and a red-brown on the WGBL's one.

G.

Hello all,

so it's been a good and productive week end.

I've been able to finish the airbrush part of my first vow.

the 2nd batch of thunderwolves :

TWC brown airbrush 1

TWC brown airbrush 2

TWC brown airbrush 3

TWC brown airbrush 4

TWC brown airbrush 5

TWC brown airbrush 6

Like for the blue grey ones, i'll mark more difference on the fur by washes and drybrushes.

And those of the Wolflord and the WGBL :

umbra ferox

WGBL TW airbrush

And I've done all the bases.

bases airbrush

Tonight back to brushes !

C&C are indeed welcome.

G.

Hello all.

@Nemac : Thx ! It's far from finished. I still have to add some lights (on the black parts mostly), do the ligings, the battle damages, decals et weathering.

Should be more like my sicaran, which is finished :

116965sicaranend2

641838sicaranend12

Another quick update. Metallics on their way.

Stormfang brush1B

Stormfang brush1A

Let me know what you think of it so far.

Hi all !

Thanks Nemac ! Can't wait to get back to that Fireraptor too.

So, our baby girl was (a bit) sick this week end and I could'nt work as much as I intended in first place.

And, consequently, the stormfang is not finished.

There's quite work stil to do but I hope to have it "Game standard" finished by tomorrow or wednesday evening.

sml_gallery_70010_12076_297949.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_30356.jpg

It was also the opportunity to test the new Citadel gloss washes. And They are quite fine to me. I might just add a few drops of medium to smooth a bit the transitions, but the result is interresting.

Well, one more wash with agrax and I will work on the light of the gold.

Iron will only require a lighter drybrush.

Then i'll move on to the red wolves heads, the hellfrost destructor runes and pipes, and the shields at the rear. Put a few decals and that should be good.

G.

Hi everyone !

Back with the Stormfang.

I wished I had finished it yesterday, but no. I had to rework the golds. As I said, I tried the new gloss washes.

Could be better but not to throw away, IMO. It need to be tested with other techniques, paints, etc.

1 - The fact is, on metals, the shadows are not glossy. It's intereesting though on the intermediary parts.

2 - It would be better if they had a more gelified consistancy. Would be easier to work them. I want a thick and non transparent aspect on shadow and a thin and more and more transparent aspect on intermediary areas.

3 - Need several passes to obtain consistant shadows

4 - :cuss difficult to work further with metallic paint afterwards. The paint can't stop sliding and the blending is random.

Still, I think that with practice and combined with brown paint it can be a new and quicker way for me to do true metallic paint.

And I'm curious about what they can give on smaller areas : infantry for exemple.

Now the pictures :

Stormfang brush3 A

Stormfang brush3 B

Stormfang brush3 C

Stormfang brush3 D

Still have to do the wolf skull, the long fangs marking on the sides, the shields on the rear sides, the multi melta and some small details (parchment, red head eyes, the carved runes etc.)

I feel the hellfrost destructor pipes could benefit a lighter tone. Maybe later, when Ill do all the weathering and cockpit.

Any comment welcome. As I have my head to the grindstone, feedback is more than usefull.

Thanks.

G.

Edited by Bryan Blaire
Do not dodge the Swear Filter by replacing letters with symbols. It is a violation of the B&C rules.

Hello gals and guys.

A little advancement today. Week has been particulary busy.

So the stormxolf is tabletop done. I'll do the linings and weathering later.

It could also benefit from stronger contrasts on the brown shadows. The golds need a bit more work too.

Stormfang doneA

Stormfang doneB

Stormfang doneC

Stormfang doneD

I also painted the fenrissian wolves this week. Same idea, it need a bit more work to get a good focus on the head. I'll do that later also.

fenrissian wolves

C&C welcom as usual.
G.

• 1 month later...

Hello all !

It's been a while since I've posted here. Real life has been busy and I choose to spend my free time painting rather than taking lame phone pics and posting them here.

However, I've managed to paint almost every day, and my vow is turning out pretty well.

I've finished the thunderwolves and their riders are also close to be finished. They shall be done by friday evening. And then this week end I should paint the TDA Runepriest.

But enough of chatter. Pics !

Here are the thunderwolves (the thousand sons corpses have been finished since then) :

thunderwolves 1

thunderwolves 2

I'm not satisfied at all with the blue-grey ones. While I've managed to add variety with their fur, the tone is too close to the bases. And to the marines.
In the end you can't read anything. There's nothing that pop's up (to that point of the painting anyway).
I think they should benefit to be darker. When I'll have a better and "finished" overlook I will rework them.
Now to their riders.

These ones will have their agrax wash tonight :

sml_gallery_70010_12076_674998.jpg
These ones already have their washes done :
sml_gallery_70010_12076_783151.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_400760.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_310661.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_140551.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_94450.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_659.jpg

So, not that much left to do before the deadline…

Regarding the bases alteration it's planed. That's why I won't touch the furs before the bases are completely done. I want to add snow, and beneathit, melted snow/mud. So that should indeed add some contrast color to the bases. And some blood spatters.

And considering famous last words, doing my best Dan, doing my best ! :wink:

Little by little, the overall look is building up…

Thornik WIP

I think they look phenomenal, as they are now.

You have gone way beyond my level of patience & skill. Definitely a contender for the artificer award.

PS like the corpse :)

Last week end rush !

Tonight, highlights !

Finished the washes on  the gold and colifichets (teeth and skulls) at 1:30 last night.

thunderpack2

thunderpack1

thornik wip2

I now use a mix of the new glossy washed and a 1:1 mix of rhinox hide and black. I find it less liquid, less glossy and way more controlable and easy to work with. So that isn't just apply a generous wash on the concerned areas.

I can play with it and blend it when I want a thinner coat.

Still need to highlight it, but I'm happy the way it turns out at that step of the process.

More to come sunday (nomaly)

G.

Hi Dantay !

Yep, that my receipe onthe the golds.

Humm I don't think They d that blue wash.

But, you see the cables on the powerfists and thunderhammers ? I washed them with a mix of nuln oil and asurmen blue. If you want a satin/glossy effect, you can also add a little gloss varnish.

Think that should do the trick.

G.

Hello all.

It's been a while since I've posted here. Summer as been busy IRL, and I've been focusing on finishing my vow for the ETL.

Now it's finished, I've modified this topic's title and I come here present you the results of this ETL.

There are some things that need a bit more of work (company transfers for instance, or finishing the runes on the shields) and higlights that would benefit 2 ou 3 more steps. I will also make some minor adjustment, like changing the hair color of the Runepriest (too similar to the fur). I alos need to do the linings and the weathering so that these miniatures "pop" a lot more. So, still a bit of work to to after the moving.

But I'm happy the way they turned out.

I still think the grey/blue thunderwolf cavalry unit need a bit of work on the tone, but it's not as bad as I feared.

So, now, that pictures :

TDA Runepriest :

sml_gallery_70010_12076_501891.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_138919.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_340354.jpg
Thunderwolf cavalry unit 1 and wolflord :
sml_gallery_70010_12076_178464.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_915366.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_991595.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_287927.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_699219.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_28017.jpg

Thunderwolf cavalry unit 2 and WGBL :

sml_gallery_70010_12076_867872.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_1009519.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_482883.jpg
sml_gallery_70010_12076_396661.jpg

This was my first ETL, and a real challenge. These TWC, love the models, but it took me so much time to get them properly painted…

For now it will be moving place, make myself a new hobby place in the new flat (and yes that means negociations with the wife :wink:)

I have many more space wolves to get paint on it, and well, something bigger... (Cry me a reaver, many reavers to cross, by the reavers of Babylon :biggrin.::biggrin.: ).

So I will continue feeding this thread. And when will be comfortably settled. I'll take good pictures (no phone pics, and with a proper backgroud) of the allready finished models.

In the meantime, I'll be more than pleased to share comments, answer questions and chat with you.

G.

Thanks Hrolf !

No secrecy on my way of painting the armour plates ; ).

Will it be vehicules panels or power armour, the steps are the same.

I use an airbrush tomorrow do the main steps. They can be divided in three major parts :

- first part is preshaded undercoat.

Black primer followed by a white airbrush zenithal pass.

- second one is building a classical blue grey in three colors.

- the fang in the shadows

- Russ grey on the intermediary areas

- Fenrissian grey on the most highlighted areas.

Once this is done you have a smooth shaded blue grey. It's rather neutral. That's what the third part is about. Adding richness and depth to the intermediary and shadows area.

- third part is glazes.

You'll have to really really thin your paint. So that you can really work in transparent veils. Be patient better add layer after layer than to have a non transparent effect.

First glaze is incubi darkness. It's a dark desaturated turquoise. Sort of. You spread it onto the Shadow areas. And it has to go over the edges. A bit onto the intermediary areas (not much than let's say 1/3 max).

Second glaze is rhinox hide. Same, but just over the shadows. It's a warm red brown. Works just fine in the shadows of the blue grey.

You can use a Vallejo model air that is almost the same as the rhinox hide (though a bit less dark). Can't remember the ref just now.

Then, you just have to do linings to make the edges pop. I do it with citadel edge blue horror.

That's all. Seems a bit complex but with the airbrush it's quite fast actually.

Ho, and if needed, I adjust the glazes with regular brush. Pull a bit incubi here, deepen a bit the rhinox there... but that occurs only after having coated the other colors.

Hope that helps.

G.

Edited by gnenthaal