Emperors Talon Recon Company - Elysian twist

Carraigf

Hi folks,

So I'm a huge fan of sentinels and use them in most of my games as they fit the 'light/recon' fluff for my army - right now I run mech vets in Taurox with plasma and a CCS in a chimera with a coupe of squadrons of sentinels and some tauros venators in support. I normally opt for either drop sentinels with MM or switch out the weapon fits for ACs and run as scouts.

It's a fun army to play, not the most competitive, but game after game I've been impressed with how both sentinel variants perform, provided I can keep the in cover ;), and so far its been fun to use in victory and defeat. So anyway I recently discovered the Emperors talon formation and like the idea of adding some more of these bad boys as I increase my army size up to the 2k mark.

The wording of the formation got me a bit excited as it says 1 scout and 3 squadrons of any type in any combination. of any type...see where I'm going here..and this is why i'd like to ask for your thoughts/advice on the below:

So:

1. Can I use drop sentinels in the formation?

2. If so do formations deploy in the same way as squadrons - ie all deployed together with coherency?

2. If not can you split a formation - allowing one or more squadrons to be deployed via deep strike?

My thinking is the lead scout with 1 or 2 squadrons of scout/armoured could rock up the table then call in the drop buddies if they meet something that needs a Multi-Melta to take it down. Seems fluffy to me - and always with opponents permission - but what are your thoughts?

Carraig, o7

I'm not sure about point 1, depends on the exact wording of it. For point 2, they function as normal independent squadrons except where the rules specify (and as I remember it, they don't say anything extra in this regard). Following on from that, it's probably ok to split the formation up unless it says they must all arrive together or a similar restriction.

Hey Fish,

Thanks for coming back. Without quoting verbatim they don't specifically say 3 squadrons of scout or armoured just any type...

And thanks for the clarification - in hindsight you wouldn't see an SM demi coy in 4" coherency but thought I'd better check :D

Archived