Does anyone still use Mephiston? If so, how?

There are only a few models imo that have stood the test of time. Lemartes, The Sanguinor, and Astorath, as far as named characters go and the metal death company, although they are noticeably slimmer.

With the level at which the new models have come out there is absolutely no reason not to have a new better Mephiston instead of that silly psychic hood and 1983 mullet with gorilla hands in leather gloves. *shutters* bloke looks worse than Sid Vicious...

Edit: I love the story of Mephiston, as well as all the BA, but I feel after the remake of Cassius in Death Watch, Odin (Ulrik) of the Space Pups and the new BA chaplain, there has been a craving for new higher profile named characters for the chapter.

Back on topic: the fact he can be strength 10 makes for a great vehicle and MC Hunter, and has some reliance to being an immediate threat the opponent has to deal with. Also he's one of the only Psykers that can cast more than 1-2 powers a turn now so that also brings his utility back and at his point cost it isn't that steep.

Like all models from that era (like Dante), he's a full head shorter than the modern marines. He just seems weedy when standing next to his brothers.

The size is a real issue. I painted up an old metal grey knight in blue to use as a librarian and he looks so small and skinny next to my other marines that it just looks ridiculous on the tabletop and I've never used him in a game.

I love the old Mephiston model and eagerly look forward to painting him up in a modern paint scheme (also with better skills) but the size difference is troubling. Just look at how he stands next to the new Sanguinary Priest model... and this is taken at an angle rather than straight on:

Hidden Content

gallery_27469_12034_18871.jpg

I have to say it would be all kinds of awesome to charge a Knight with Mephiston and destroy it with Sanguine Sword. For that reason alone I'm tempted to build my own counts-as. Given the scarcity of BA in general these days (at least in my meta -- the last two tournaments I've attended had zero BA since I brought IG/=][=) and meph in particular it might catch people off guard and they might not prioritize targets properly.

BA aren't terrible. They had a good showing at The LVO on my side of the pond earlier this year. They are mostly allies though. However there were some list that were majority BA with Allied detachments included. But that's also against some of the most brutal lists ever. Luckily we don't get too deep into Allies around here. And I'm super glad they fixed that dumb dumb loop hole where people would take imp vets in a drop pod...

Honestly I think there is but a single change that would make Mephy SUPER viable.

Make him Jump-Infantry, represent his old wings.

Let's just make him a jump monstrous creature and be done with it.

Mainly because I love the idea that the tiny model would be an MC.

EDC

I personally think, that the Current Mephiston could be a little better just by removing the Sanguine Sword Psychic Power, that came from the 5th edition psychic table....

I would free Mephiston of 1 psychic slot, and by this simple thing, it would empower him as well as bringing quite the "perfect" balance to the Character power. I better see the Sanguine Sword of Mephiston as a Named Relic Sword, that could be +2 Str/Ap 3 with the Adamantium Will special rule. It would make a little more sense. (At least to me, but maybe not only to me^^.)

(Seriously, the first power of the Biomancy table is better than the Sanguine Sword, as well, as more "fluffy" since it also increase the Toughness.)

There are only a few models imo that have stood the test of time. Lemartes, The Sanguinor, and Astorath, as far as named characters go and the metal death company, although they are noticeably slimmer.

Lemartes, the Sanguinor and Astorath 'stood the test of time' simply because they're much newer models than the other BA characters. They and Seth are from 2010, while Dante, Mephiston, Tycho and Corbulo are from 1996 - over 20 years old!

While I still like the Mephiston and Dante models in looks, I was so disappointed how weedy Dante looked when I put him next to some Sanguinary Guard that I immediately kitbashed my own version. My chapter master will not be a midget.

Definite ground for him going MC/AV/SH hunting with a few vanguard vets in the same configuration (Shields, Grav Pistol, Fists spread about).

Again doing what we do best, part of the multiple pod and fast unit threats all coming in at once.

Just Watch out for stomps... Though you can LoS those!

Will have to try him out in my Caestus though :D

Lemartes, the Sanguinor and Astorath 'stood the test of time' simply because they're much newer models than the other BA characters. They and Seth are from 2010, while Dante, Mephiston, Tycho and Corbulo are from 1996 - over 20 years old!

While I still like the Mephiston and Dante models in looks, I was so disappointed how weedy Dante looked when I put him next to some Sanguinary Guard that I immediately kitbashed my own version. My chapter master will not be a midget.

Sorry mate. Only started in the middle of 5th edition when fail cast first came out. I was under the impression that those were actually much older than what they are. It makes sense why they are still higher quality. Although, Tycho albeit being a bit shorter is still an excellent model!

I'm currently painting up the death watch librarian as a counts as mephy. The model is really good anyways mephy has preformed good and bad for myself. I have had him stuck in combat with an artificer armour chapter master for several rounds of combat before finally killing him and finishing off his command squad in the same round of combat.

I'm just about to enter a league and i have mephy and 5 foot dc marines with a power fist in a raven in my list. See how it goes

Usually i put him in a pod with a command squad with storm shields and melta but I've had mixed results with this.

I've used him foot slogging with terminators of both variety and a priest to hold the middle of the board, also riding a spartan assault tank with same crew minus priest. Solid. Draws fire, and can be brutal. I normally drop a levithan dread back field in a pod and attempt to crush opponent between the two and/or force them to split their fire. Prefer Dante as I have lots of JP assault squads DC etc and he gels well with them. Can add a level 1 lib to guarantee prescience. 

If they gave him a JP he'd be instantly amazing. His speed and the expensive options to move him where he need to be is his major downside. 

Like all models from that era (like Dante), he's a full head shorter than the modern marines. He just seems weedy when standing next to his brothers.

The size is a real issue. I painted up an old metal grey knight in blue to use as a librarian and he looks so small and skinny next to my other marines that it just looks ridiculous on the tabletop and I've never used him in a game.

I love the old Mephiston model and eagerly look forward to painting him up in a modern paint scheme (also with better skills) but the size difference is troubling. Just look at how he stands next to the new Sanguinary Priest model... and this is taken at an angle rather than straight on:

Hidden Content

gallery_27469_12034_18871.jpg

They have to fix all of those older models so they line up nicely next to the new stuff. I recently painted Tycho, and I put him on his 25mm base, and then put that on a 32mm base, but even then his smaller body and stature still sticks out. You can't fix that, only his height.

I'm currently painting up the death watch librarian as a counts as mephy. The model is really good anyways mephy has preformed good and bad for myself. I have had him stuck in combat with an artificer armour chapter master for several rounds of combat before finally killing him and finishing off his command squad in the same round of combat.

I'm just about to enter a league and i have mephy and 5 foot dc marines with a power fist in a raven in my list. See how it goes

Usually i put him in a pod with a command squad with storm shields and melta but I've had mixed results with this.

I'd really like to see your interpretation of this, as I too have thought about this as an alternate option.

Archived