Who does the art for Primarch series?

The issue looks more like one of colouring than the line work itself. Russ is a bit stubby, but so was Abaddon on the Talon of Horus cover. A more realistic colouring and inking would make the same illustrations look quite nice I think.

They seem to follow the recent trend of art being made to look like the models, rather than being completely unique. Not that it's always bad, the Harlequins codex used this style and it's perfect.

It is hard to like other styles when we have NR who is awesome. The Guilliman one was okay but I have to say the Russ one looks awful...does not do him justice...unless he was the lead in a metal band.

Its especially bad in Age of Sigmar. There's barely any art at all that doesn't look exactly like the miniatures. And since there's no real variation in weaponry, you get the same golden dudes over and over (and they recycle the same artwork for the books anyway). With 40k and HH, they at least draw new art at all, usually.

Sort of on topic. How does NR get paid for each artwork he does? Is it a one time thing or are there royalties involve? For example the Praetorian of Dorn (Easily my favorite) piece, does he get paid once or everytime anything with that art sells like the novels or posters, does he get a cut? 

Sort of on topic. How does NR get paid for each artwork he does? Is it a one time thing or are there royalties involve? For example the Praetorian of Dorn (Easily my favorite) piece, does he get paid once or everytime anything with that art sells like the novels or posters, does he get a cut? 

This is an interesting question. I believe that more often than not a commission gives the buyer 100% exclusivity of the artwork produced and in that they have the right to reproduce it for any media platform they see fit. More than likely the one off cost for such a piece will be quite high and strict terms of use agreed upfront with the artist. Because NR has been doing this for BL for 10 years or so now i would assume that he is on a rolling contract of sorts where the terms of use are roughly the same but the cost may differ dependent on the amount of work required for each piece he produces.

• 3 months later...

Seems like GW is going for art that is considerably lower in quality and as such a lot cheaper to obtain. Future codex art can usually be viewed in the 40k section of deviantart. Seems to be a clear intention to make it less grimdark and more sci fi-esque/cartoony.

The worst issue for me is the lack of consistency and scaling problems. There's a certain piece of art in the Kauyon supplement where it shows 2 RG marines with different variations of the Raven Guard Chapter badge. If you're drawing a space marine at least get the chapter symbol correct :/. What makes it worse is that they're beside each other which makes it stand out.

Scaling bugs me when the marine is 8/9 feet tall but has the arms of a 10-year old (Russ I'm looking at you).

Seems like GW is going for art that is considerably lower in quality and as such a lot cheaper to obtain. Future codex art can usually be viewed in the 40k section of deviantart. Seems to be a clear intention to make it less grimdark and more sci fi-esque/cartoony.

The worst issue for me is the lack of consistency and scaling problems. There's a certain piece of art in the Kauyon supplement where it shows 2 RG marines with different variations of the Raven Guard Chapter badge. If you're drawing a space marine at least get the chapter symbol correct :/. What makes it worse is that they're beside each other which makes it stand out.

Scaling bugs me when the marine is 8/9 feet tall but has the arms of a 10-year old (Russ I'm looking at you).

Exactly the case - best examples latest campaign books about Damocles and Fenris Campaigns. It's 90 % like just redrawn from Warcraft

Why wait for the future? I have plenty of questionable art to offer even now!

http://img03.deviantart.net/297c/i/2016/256/9/b/betrayer__loyal_cover_by_roomskyk-dahlbql.png

Adapted from ADB's paint masterworks.

H

Why wait for the future? I have plenty of questionable art to offer even now!

http://img03.deviantart.net/297c/i/2016/256/9/b/betrayer__loyal_cover_by_roomskyk-dahlbql.png

Adapted from ADB's paint masterworks.

Heretek - we saw how A D-B bowed before ya biggrin.png

Archived