Angels of Caliban (Spoilers)

Robbienw

• 2 weeks later...

Sry, cnf the book...Hate the cartoonish villan, hate the Russ 2,0 portrayal of Lion and dislike the stereotyping of primarchs and dumbed supporting roles which are Gavs trademark...To bad, really liked the Caliban power play and Astellan... Maybe I will skip only to that parts and semi finish the book ...hmmmm...

p.s. I live in Illyria

Maybe I will skip only to that parts and semi finish the book ...hmmmm...

So you're judging it without having finished it, even though a lot of the Primarchs, for example, is handled in the later parts of the book, as is Curze?

yep, enough is enough...there is no cherry on top which will erase the bitter taste which I felt...As I see from spoilers, good that I left it because all I needed was an emo part on a main char and the horror would be complete...Corax crying in DL is still making me twich...My opinion...No offense...

Scars, Wolf king and Path of Heaven are beyond awesome. All three totally deserve a place at HH fan bookcase

I would add Brotherhood of the Storm as well

As a WS fan...I totally lucked out when the legion was assigned to Wraight

What a brilliant job he's done with an almost blank slate

Finally finished AoC and was very happy with it overall. I must admit that I've found Gav's work variable in the past, but I found this was entertaining from start to finish. Especially loved the delving into the past history of the DA Legion. The main issue I had with the story was the previously mentioned scene wrt The fate of Curze. While I understand Gav was caught between a rock and a hard place due to past stories and fluff, I felt he didn't quite convince me within the narrative. Personal opinion only.

For those missing Legion fans out there I see Gav threw in another piece of the puzzle at the start. We now know that all 20 Primarchs were still around at the recompliance of Zaramund. That narrows the window for their "disappearance" from Imperial records.

For those missing Legion fans out there I see Gav threw in another piece of the puzzle at the start. We now know that all 20 Primarchs were still around at the recompliance of Zaramund. That narrows the window for their "disappearance" from Imperial records.

I didn't catch this. Can you give a quote?

@b1soul is correct. It was in the prologue (page 21 of the HB edition) when Typhon is contemplating Horus's quarters. He refers to the twenty kings-to-be of the Galaxy. He would have thought 18 if the great disappearance had already happened.

@b1soul is correct. It was in the prologue (page 21 of the HB edition) when Typhon is contemplating Horus's quarters. He refers to the twenty kings-to-be of the Galaxy. He would have thought 18 if the great disappearance had already happened.

Which is odd, because Gav's own previous novel, Deliverance Lost, indicated that whatever went down with the two unknown primarchs happened before Corax was discovered, which the FW books indicate was earlier than Zaramund (30,970). We do know this is before Alpharius is reunited (30,981), so it could be that Typhon is just thinking hypothetically of the 20.

Which is odd, because Gav's own previous novel, Deliverance Lost, indicated that whatever went down with the two unknown primarchs happened before Corax was discovered, which the FW books indicate was earlier than Zaramund (30,970). We do know this is before Alpharius is reunited (30,981), so it could be that Typhon is just thinking hypothetically of the 20.

But it doesn't. It only says two primarchs were left to be discovered when Corax was found. Namely, XI (or II) and Alpharius.

But it doesn't. It only says two primarchs were left to be discovered when Corax was found. Namely, XI (or II) and Alpharius.

Deliverance Lost? On page 224 in a flashback to when the Emperor found him, Corax recalls:

'Yes, you have brothers,' said the Emperor, smiling at his son's delight. 'Seventeen of them. You are the primarchs, my finest creations.'

'Seventeen?' Corvus asked, confused. 'I remember that I was number nineteen. How can that be so?'

The Emperor's expression grew bleak, filled with deep sorrow. He looked away as he replied.

'The other two,' he said. 'That is a conversation for another day.'

'Yes, you have brothers,' said the Emperor, smiling at his son's delight. 'Seventeen of them. You are the primarchs, my finest creations.'

'Seventeen?' Corvus asked, confused. 'I remember that I was number nineteen. How can that be so?'

The Emperor's expression grew bleak, filled with deep sorrow. He looked away as he replied.

I think this was confirmed by Laurie Goulding over on his forum, but the Emperor is filled with sorrow because two are still missing, not because two have already been "dealt" with.

I think this was confirmed by Laurie Goulding over on his forum, but the Emperor is filled with sorrow because two are still missing, not because two have already been "dealt" with.

Even if Mr. Goulding did say that, I'm not convinced. Why would he be "bleak" and "filled with deep sorrow" over there just being two more left to find? Further down on that very page Corax asks if he's found all of them yet and the Emperor just calmly says "Most", with no hint of sadness or gloom, in contrast to this earlier point where he's refusing to even explain it. It's clearly something big and he doesn't want to talk about it there and then.

Plus, if it was just that there were two left to find, why would Corax being number 19 be an issue? That would surely just lead to the Emperor saying "You are 19 of 20, but I haven't found two others yet". Whereas striking two names off the records so there are officially only 18 left, that creates a problem.

This point might have been officially retconned out since it was first published of course (and it wouldn't be the first thing within the series to get that).

As I have mentioned before elsewhere, my head canon is that the Emperor sent them into the Webway on a conquer/explore mission after he discovered it. They then ran headlong into the Dark Eldar who wiped them out leading to the rumours of a Primarch captive in their fighting pits. Since everything concerning the Webway is hush hush by the Emperor's decree, and the loss of two full legions would be bad PR for the new Imperium, the oath is taken by the hierarchy to never mention it again. Which leads to rumours in the rank and file about them being swallowed up by the UM, etc. in fact, the Primarchs may not even know the fate of their brothers. It isn't unknown for the Emperor to say Jst take my word for it and not explain the why.

Scars, Wolf king and Path of Heaven are beyond awesome. All three totally deserve a place at HH fan bookcase

I would add Brotherhood of the Storm as well

As a WS fan...I totally lucked out when the legion was assigned to Wraight

What a brilliant job he's done with an almost blank slate

Yes, he did - tis almost beyond reproach

No man...Russ executed both of the missing primarchs

Space Wolves are designed to destroy other legions tongue.png

And can't do anything except lick their tails without the help from other Legions :) Plus - their LUCK is beyond any sanity reason. They should have been destroyed a lot of times - but due to the miracle - DA, WS, Ultrasmurfs, warp storms etc. they always missed the butchers block rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit, when I first read "Deliverance Lost", this (the two missing primarchs) was my interpretation as well. That said, one can make a (somewhat convoluted) argument that for a being like the Emperor, who essentially bases his entire mission on his ability to see the future and guide it accordingly, there is little difference between two primarchs missing (as in not yet discovered), and missing (as in lost to his cause). I don't know if Gav intended it as such (I think the passage was supposed to be fan service creating ambiguity - similar to A D-B's passage in "The First Heretic" where the two Word Bearers are exchanging rumors), but there are definitely multiple ways to interpret it.

Of course, if we are talking about the Emperor's prescience in the context of him speaking to Corax, then there are other implications too. If he does not see the difference between primarchs missing due to not being found, and primarchs missing due to other factors, then how much did he really know about the coming Heresy? We also know that Alpharius ended up on Horus' side, and the second-to-last primarch ended up being expunged from records... so could the Emperor be foreseeing the fate of the primarchs not found at that time, which is where his sorrow would come from?

Or, it could be an honest mistake by the author, and we are trying to make sense of something that was not intended to create ambiguity. I wonder if the hardback edition of "Deliverance Lost" will in any shape or form edit said passage... because if it does, we will know the intent for sure.

Archived