So, what can / can't the Temp. Scions handle on-table?

Julgolax

I figured it might be an interesting place to pick up and start an army. Simple, relatively inexpensive as far as GW products go, and straight-forward. 6 10-man squads (3 in Valkyries, 3 in Taurox), 1 Command Squad with Lord Commissar in Taurox or Valkyrie. Drop in on points, support with ground, Commissar leads. Small games.

Now, the question is, what can they handle on the field and what can they simply not defeat? I'm looking worried at opposing air power, close combat monsters and high toughness units.

LOL...wellll...you can't really point at a codex and say whether or not they can handle it.  Stormtroopers are aces at picking the enemy's stupidly expensive linchpin unit out and nuking it.  They stink on ice at conventional force on force battles.  They specialize in raids to destroy something critical.  If you're using them in a conventional infantry "seize that hill" role, they're worse than eldar, they're stupid expensive, yet only T3 with 4+ armor, and no better than a veteran guardsman (that costs half as much!) in melee.  Use them for their formations, for their special rules, or leave them at home.  They can't really seize or hold ground, all they're good for is lightning strikes to decapitate the foe...it's a tough way to try and win a battle.

They have proven excellent in team games (where they go kill the important stuff, while the teammate controls the board)

You're really going down the wrong path if you're going for 3 valks and 3 trucks, and ten man squads are a bit iffy, too.  At minimum, I would suggest a 4/2 split, with either birds or trucks dominant.  Birds are much harder to kill, but they start in reserves, it's your call.  Why a 4/2 split?  Because you want either the ground assault or air assault formation.  Personally, I already own the air assault one, and I'm leveraging ETL to finish my ground assault formation, then I plan to field both.  Yep.  Both.  Ultimate hammer in an eggshell. eight 5 man squads, eight vehicles, and two commies....bristling with special weapons.  Emperor help me if I run up against a horde.

I second the '3 of each? So close to formation..' Thoughts.

If you want to run straight CAD with so many units/models you might want to consider multiple detachments. The reason being only the HQ scions can dole out orders. Orders are good. You want as many as humanly possible.

For every 20 scions you can get away with 2 units of command, 2 troops or 50% order giving fun units. With 65 scions that could be 6 command and 7 troops, granted they cost more and you might go overboard on upgrades you can always scale back.

Fortunately for you we have plenty of seasoned Stormtrooper commanders, so I'll just echo a few points. MT are a glass hammer army, they need to be used intelligently. MSU is generally best, and their formations are well worth considering for the bonuses. Be bold to achieve victory, as you can't afford to play too cautiously. Tough and elite units are easier pickings (always max out on special weapons) but hordes can be a problem with your limited numbers.

Last but not least - create a WIP topic in the barracks so you can show off your progress and share in tactical advice ;)

Lord help you if you run into green tide.

well...an air cav formation that's maxed out on rocket pods will run all over a green tide, removing bucketloads of models per turn...the problem is you dare not dismount, except to melta the odd kan or two.  S3AP3 is precisely the wrong gun for killing orks, flamers and grenade launchers would be good, but what stormtrooper commander fields those en masse?  (my ground assault formation will have two of each in its command squad, but those will be the only ones among eight squads of stormtroopers)

Have to say I'm partial to the Gatling taurox and will load up two of them with volleygun scion troops. That's some pretty troop clearing potential right there.

About 1k point force so less big nasties and more troops afoot though, meta is important to keep in mind!

If you just want them for the models, go with regular Astra Militarum and take Veterans with Carapace armour, maybe give them shotguns (i think shotguns look pretty cool on the models) and you have roughly the same army. You might have some extra points to spend on some other fancy stuff if you want.

Just an idea to take a good night sleep over. Most stuff reveals in self after a good night.

Archived