Bullgryns

sebs_evo7

Hi guys searched through and didn't find much

About to purchase a box of bullgryns and thought about how best to employ them. I'm used to assault vehicles and realize that it's quite difficult to get the squad into the enemy's line to charge.

My guard army that I'm putting together is fairly typical with a static element and a mounted/mechanized tank/infantry section.

How i plan to kit them out is with the mauls and shields and i was thinking would i keep them in my deployment zone in cover near pask and my gunline for a counter charge or is there another role i should be using them for? Or should i spend the points elsewhere on something like two units of vets with camo gear instead?

Cheers

Bullgryns aren't cheap, but have a few useful roles to play. Without any assault vehicles they're stuck yomping up the table which is why I think the slabshield approach is more useful (plus the mauls are overly expensive). For the mauls I'd say a counter attack unit is their best use, but they'd need to be protecting valuable units to make their cost worthwhile. Fortunately Guard can easily get lots of expensive and valuable units that would like a mean combat unit to protect them :P

Unfortunately Ogryns are expensive for what you get, so you should consider your potential needs as to what may be best. Some Vets to unleash some special weapons on interlopers can pack a punch, but they don't have much staying power especially against the likes of drop podding flamers etc. Some Bullgryns would resist small arms much better as well as be a threat to most in combat, which would also conveniently prevent the enemy from attacking the likes of Pask.

Each Bullgryn with Power Maul costs 60pts and IMO, you'll struggle to make them pull their weight. I wouldn't hold them back as any canny opponent will just kill or evade them before they get the chance to counter-charge, (annoying thing about 40K is that everything is on the board for your opponent to see, you can't "hide" anything which limits strategy.) 

Guard don't really have an Assault Vehicle, other than the Stormlord, which prefers to sit still so it can fire twice.

Generally the best thing to do is take a few with the standard Slabshield, and give the Bone'ead the Power Maul. Have the normal dudes cover him and advance them up the field. They'll cover your forces, draw fire, and tank a surprising amount of it. Bone'ead can pitch in with a decent number of attacks at S7 AP4 if they get stuck on anything. Add a Priest to make sure they hold and buff their CC ability, and you're laughing.

Ran that setup against Tyranids with a 6-man Bullgryn Squad, Power Maul on Bone'ead and Priest. Went through two Carnifexes, Deathleaper, an Exocrine and a squad of Hive Guard before the end and still had two Bullgryns and the Priest left. Hilariously brutal.

I use the Rampart detachment, which gives them fearless and counter attack. I use 12 bullgryns, the command squad with 4 flamers, and a mixture of weaponry on the bullgryns for a total of 750 points for the detachment. I usually have an ordo xenos inquisitor with prescience and rad grenades in my army as well. I usually use them as a wall with 2 company command squads with plasma guns behind them. They can give themselves the order to ignore cover. This is around 1000 points but is pretty brutal. I have the bullgryns advance up the field and get on objectives. The bullgryns have repelled the Skyhammer and Space Marine biker armies.

In small games I have used Bullgryns in a unit of 3-5 as a bodyguard for my inquisitor, and it was OK. Keep in mind that I usually play infantry guard with a lot of units.

In any case, I think the key is to make sure they are fearless or stubborn. Without that, they are definitely not going to be that good. (Considering they are only marginal even with fearless)

750pts? Ouch, that's a lot of investment.

I mostly did it for fun, but it (Rampart Detachment) has done well sometimes. I have paired it with Cult Mechanicus grav servitors/kataphrans and Coateaz, which was quite brutal. If nothing else, they take a lot of time for the enemy to kill.

Didn't realize you can mix the units equipment. Sounds like that mix could work. I'm thinking of giving them a chimera as a dedicated transport which they could start outside of or inside depending on my opponents army.

I'll also put a priest in the unit

I use the Rampart detachment, which gives them fearless and counter attack. I use 12 bullgryns, the command squad with 4 flamers, and a mixture of weaponry on the bullgryns for a total of 750 points for the detachment. I usually have an ordo xenos inquisitor with prescience and rad grenades in my army as well. I usually use them as a wall with 2 company command squads with plasma guns behind them. They can give themselves the order to ignore cover. This is around 1000 points but is pretty brutal. I have the bullgryns advance up the field and get on objectives. The bullgryns have repelled the Skyhammer and Space Marine biker armies.

In small games I have used Bullgryns in a unit of 3-5 as a bodyguard for my inquisitor, and it was OK. Keep in mind that I usually play infantry guard with a lot of units.

In any case, I think the key is to make sure they are fearless or stubborn. Without that, they are definitely not going to be that good. (Considering they are only marginal even with fearless)

This list sounds super fun!  I played with some ripper gun Ogryn the other day, but Bullgryns sound way cooler.

Warning: Bullgryns are overpriced and NOT "I wanna win tournaments" material.

Otherwise they're great fun, I mean just look at the awesome models!

I run the Rampart Detachment for Fearless and counter-attack as well. 2 units of five with 3 normal and two mauls (sarge' and his corporal type of thing) in each.

The Command unit goes all pistol and CCW because why not, sort of fits the theme.

Their LD is pitiful so either fearless from the detachment or a priest per unit is a MUST. Priests give the added benefit of re-rolls so that's juicy but naturally more points as well.

If we could only take slab-shields and power mauls.... I'll rip their arms of and reconfigure in a heartbeat.

Archived