I wonder when someone builds a squad with grav gunslingers.

Probably when it doesn't cost 260 points for 10 Grav shots :P

With bikes It's 108 for 9 which then lowers to 6 after the Combi has been popped, so not too poorly priced when you take into account extra wounds...

In my DOA usually take a priest with a power fist, Auspex & jump pack over the captain for 2 reasons. 1, Dante is your challenge accepter, 2 hit and run utilizes the power fist better, and gives you extra S8-9 AP2 @WS6, which can also help deal with (G)MC and the like as well as other problematic issues. Definitely take at least 1 squad of Vanguard in this formation so you have some 3++ jumpers. I'm at work but I will post you a mock list of mine later.

Okay So this is one of my DOA lists I've been tinkering with for a while now. It is 1500 points but easily can be beefed up to whatever your standard games are. It is filled with MSU and is definitely a Cookie Cutter, but it could easily be made to fit your play style. This one in particular was meant for you to Deep strike everything/reserve everything first turn. The Warlord is Dante, He goes with the Vanguard Veterans, and Priest. It puts you in your opponents business very very quickly and is very much a glass cannon. 

Flesh Tearers Strike Force 1504 (I haven't decided if I want to drop the auspex or something else)

HQ
Sanguinary Priest 105
Jump Pack
Power Fist
Auspex

Troop
Tactical Squad 135
Melta Gun
Combi-Melta
Drop Pod
Locator Beacon

Elite
Vanguard Veteran Squad 214
+2 Marines
Jump Packs
Grav-Pistols x2

Storm Shields x3

Fast
Assault Squad 135
Melta Gun x2
Inferno Pistol x2

Fast
Assault Squad 135
Melta Gun x2
Inferno Pistol x2

Fast
Assault Squad 135
Melta Gun x2
Inferno Pistol x2

Fast
Assault Squad 135
Melta Gun x2
Inferno Pistol x2

Fast
Assault Squad 145
Plasma Gun x2
Plasma Pistol x2

Fast
Assault Squad 145
Plasma Gun x2
Plasma Pistol x2

Lord of War
Dante xxx

My personal Strike Force Mortalis list is around 1100 points depending on what I want to do; but you can come up with your own build if you prefer. But basically it takes out the Assault marines and runs a bit differently. If you remove all but 1 of the Assault Marines Squads take away the inferno pistols and give the sergeant melta bombs, drop the 2 extra bodies in the Vanguard veterans and it brings the total to 1850 points,  and you have wiggle room with your points in favor of war gear or beef up some units etc. I would honestly take more Vanguards, or what have you, part me me usually drops the jump packs on one Death Company Squad and puts them in the Raven. Its all preference though, but you still have a mostly jumper/deep strike list that is wicked fun!

Strike Force Mortalis 1110

Chaplain 110
Jump Pack
Meltabombs

Death Company 140
Power Fist
Jump Packs

Death Company 140

Power Fist
Jump Packs

Death Company 140

Power Fist
Jump Packs

Death Company Dread 190
Blood Talons
Heavy Flamer
Melta Gun
Drop Pod
Locator Beacon

Death Company Dread 190

Blood Talons
Heavy Flamer
Melta Gun
Drop Pod
Locator Beacon

Storm Raven xxx

I'll just add that the Blood Angels have a beautiful legacy in which you become a participant if you play BA or their successors. I am 100% about the Lamenters, but I dig BA all the way, because they are the children of Sanguinius, who is the most-boss of all the Primarchs. No one else went to their death knowingly, because it was the right thing for humanity. I know it's fiction but I still love it a lot.

I'll just add that the Blood Angels have a beautiful legacy in which you become a participant if you play BA or their successors. I am 100% about the Lamenters, but I dig BA all the way, because they are the children of Sanguinius, who is the most-boss of all the Primarchs. No one else went to their death knowingly, because it was the right thing for humanity. I know it's fiction but I still love it a lot.

"Don't talk about my beautiful Angel Boy. He died for my sake, just be grateful"

-The Emperor

Hopefully you all get the reference happy.png

I really have had a ton of success running the Angels Fury Spearhead+ a deep striking BSF/w Dante and sang guard or DC. The 3 Ravens in the spearhead is a huge price but I find that them coming in on turn 1 is just so huge plus charging sang Gaurd after deep strike on t2 with Dante is really hard to deal with. Then you also have 30 tact marines who can combat squad and are ObSec.

I really have had a ton of success running the Angels Fury Spearhead+ a deep striking BSF/w Dante and sang guard or DC. The 3 Ravens in the spearhead is a huge price but I find that them coming in on turn 1 is just so huge plus charging sang Gaurd after deep strike on t2 with Dante is really hard to deal with. Then you also have 30 tact marines who can combat squad and are ObSec.

At what point level are you using that?

At what point level are you using that?

So I put to you brothers is there another way to run All drop pods besides MSU that works? Jumpers will be my number one but like anyone I do like to get the most bang for my buck if possible. Thus I'd like to be able to pod in as well. For whatever reason I have an aversion to MSU that I haven't been able to get over Since you all have been so helpful maybe you could help me with this as well?

So I put to you brothers is there another way to run All drop pods besides MSU that works? Jumpers will be my number one but like anyone I do like to get the most bang for my buck if possible. Thus I'd like to be able to pod in as well. For whatever reason I have an aversion to MSU that I haven't been able to get over Since you all have been so helpful maybe you could help me with this as well?

I mean basically you remove the jump packs and give them free drop pods in my 1500 point list. you can take out dante and remove the power fist from the priest as well as remove the vanguard vets for something else entirely and beef up the units, you want. You will have over 8 drop pods and units for each one.

Don't need to use MSU with drop pods at all, extra wounds that are (for a marine) Very cheap is something that the assault squads do well.

Lots of synergy with running extra guys if you have flamers on them too!

If you do need a Tac squad, making them full to go into a pod unlocks two weapon slots which is great, lots of people have differing opinions on this but personally I run the Heavy Flamer/ Flamer/ 2 Hand Flamers on the Sergeant loadout. Lots of synergy with the bolt guns plus you can throw a frag grenade (or two if you combat squad!)

That said, fraters swear by the Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Combi-Melta on Sergeant too. Combat squad and blow up a transport then toast the innards.

Sternguard are fine. Ours are pretty much exactly the same except they can assault in a pinch too with +S/I on the charge.

They give us access to our only real source of massed Grav outside of bikes, but bikes are probably still better...

And yeah, the BBQ load out is pure fun. Seeing an entire huge unit of bloodletters deleted from existence is the highlight of it for me right now.

Archived