Lost Patrol review (1st & 2nd editions)

Thanks for the review!

Just a note though, you only need to kill about 2 Genestealers a turn, which is do-able. But more importantly, you need to keep the Genestealers from consolidating into groups of 3. As long as it's 2 or fewer Genestealers in combat, the Sergent has a better than even chance of winning in close combat. Even more so if he has heavy support.

That doesn't mean the above is easy, but I think the difficulty is right, but that's just my preference.

Thanks for the feedback- I totally get the principle that you can get some pretty tough groups together to push the odds in your favor, but how exactly do you prevent the group from forming and advancing/getting reinforcements when a group reduced to 2 at an entrance has an effective threat range of 3 tiles after growing to 3/a single has an effective range of 2 tiles after growing to 3 (not counting attacking through walls in either case)?

Statistically, about the only way, short of fantastic rolling or a lucky straight away, to actually prevent such a concentration is to start to mob up and get everyone shooting, which will get extra scouts killed if you gamble and lose. I found it extremely easy as the GS to just grow until I had 3's then advance into melee. If I was under strength, I'd just wait until the marine had a bad turn. since even if you're constantly attacking, you generally won't have enough actions to also advance in a coherent way and make progress- at least certainly not reliably. Three marines wholly unloading are likely to kill one genestealer, and you need to kill two in most cases for them to not be a threat, and you still haven't gotten anywhere.

Cool, yeah, it's a decent enough game if you use the 1st ed rules and have a use for the minis- if not, there are some custom sets of tiles people have come up with over the years, and that, minis you own, and the PDF GW put out way back when are a better plan.

(Space Hulk, this, and Deathwatch can get a pretty sizable genestealer swarm together, which I think's pretty fun...)

That's actually what I have. 3rd and 4th edition space hulk (one for blood angels, one to covert for black templars), Deathwatch overkill, shield of baal death storm... if I add lost patrol, I have a lot of bugs to swat when friends come over. Plus lots of seperate board games.

Archived