So I have decided to return to the hobby after a four(ish) year absence. I'm sad to see that the Terminator librarian is now out of production and has been replaced as that was my favourite model sad.png

I have located and unpacked the boxes of stuff stored in the garage and set about deciding what I would do.

The last project I was in the middle of was Relictors and I had some ideas for a Salamanders force as well.

In the end the Relictors won so here we go...

After this long I was expecting to have to repurchase paints but they all seem to be fine, with only some of the older screw top paints are to far gone.

All my glues are long dried up with only a single plastic glue surviving,I think this was unopened. A quick purchase of some new brushes and I'm good to go.

To ease me back in I'm going to aim to paint a small collection and then build on that with successive goals. I have not played since 5th edition (I think) and don't foresee me getting the 7th edition rules or codex for a while so please excuse any weird unit combinations in the meantime.

My first goal is all scout based and using models I already have. I'll expand on this after my first goal has been achieved.

HQ

• Sergeant Telion counts as model
Scout squad one
  • Scouts with sniper rifles and camouflage cloaks (5)
Scout squad two
  • Scouts with boltguns and camouflage cloaks (4)
  • Scout with missile launcher and camouflage cloak (1)
Scout squad three
  • Scouts with boltguns (4)
  • Sergeant with Combi melta
Scout Squad four
  • Scouts with close combat weapons (4)
  • Sergeant - Not sure what to chose here, any advice? goes with the Scouts with close combat weapons
Scout transport one
  • Land speeder storm with Multi-melta or assault canon
Thanks for reading. Hopefully some of you will will come along for the ride biggrin.png

Well it is nice to see another jump on the Relictors band wagon, our numbers are few. Considering the old WD publications, we were the first to have unique wargear, allies and missions outside the normal Astartes. Now everyone is getting a supplement of some kind. We need more people being interested and vested in the chapter, and hopefully they will one day update those rules to be used again!

Lookin forward to seeing your project.

The background did provide such an open end for conversion and customisation which is what drew me to them. I'm not up to date on any fluff changes so this army will probably represent the older publications.

So far I have purchased a box full of useful (some not so useful) bits that arrived today, started painting six scouts and started stripping my Telion model of paint.

If I make decent progress with the painting I will post up some pictures. I'm going for my old colour scheme with some tweaks for the grey armour and streamlining some stuff where possible. I used to be a slow painter so hopefully I can speed things up a little and keep the quality good.

I don't think my graveyard earth will last much longer so I'm going to have to replace that sad.png

I was thinking about basing options on the way to work. I heard that the standard base size has gone from 25mm to 32mm?

With all the grey I'm either going to compliment it with an urban style basing or go for an opposite and do a lava style with green or purple lava. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any?

So I've made steady progress. After all this time i'm not as good a painter as I used to be so hopefully I improve as I get some practice in.

I'll try and sort the photo rig out for next time, it was all a bit wonky haha. There all works in progress, I couldn't help restarting my Terminator Librarian..

gallery_23360_12196_189894.jpg

If you're looking to replace the Graveyard Earth paint, the new version of it is Steel Legion Drab I believe.

I use it on almost all of my bases.

Otherwise, for a person who claims to be "not as good as I used to be" I'd say you're not giving yourself enough credit. Those minis look nicely done to me.

Thanks you for the nice comments on my painting. I'm having problems with my faces and metallic areas, just need to get back into the groove of where to highlight and shade and I'll be good to go. I lucked out a bit as I had printed off my Relictors colour scheme and had a copy in one of the boxes (extra thank you points to my old self).

I'll have to pop into a GW shop at the weekend and stock up on a few paints so I'll pick up some Steel Legion Drab whilst I'm there.

Thanks for the answer on the bases, not sure if I'm going to get some of the bigger size for my existing models.

I've managed to almost finish off six scout bodies. I just need a little highlighting on the metal areas, some chipping/damage,the base rims tidying up, and some static grass. After a bit of experimentation I think I have the full colour scheme nailed down. These are a little lighter grey than my first models in the thread and I think I prefer it.

gallery_23360_12196_263095.jpg

Here is the start of a Predator turret. It has been magnetised so I will add other weapon options in due course. I have also magnetised some heavy bolter sponsons and have plans for a razorback Las/Plas turret with some Plasma cannon Devs.

gallery_23360_12196_69823.jpg

And here is my Telion fresh from his paint stripping bath. If I remember correctly this model has a massive gap between the arm and hand so will need to sort that out.

gallery_23360_12196_53712.jpg

On the model front I have another two metal scouts stripping and have dug out a single scout biker so I will get that ready for painting. I have plans to magnetise the land speeder storm and there is a nice tutorial I found online so will add that to my list of things.

Next on the painting table are the arms/bolters and heads to go with the six bodies and Telion.

I'm making progress and my first bolter scout is almost there, needs the squad markings and a dodgy eye sorting out. I have used an alternative head to the scout one after I saw someone else on this forum use them in an older thread. I thought I'd borrow the idea.

I have gone with black bolters as I thought red stood out to much.

gallery_23360_12196_167230.jpg

I'm making progress and my first bolter scout is almost there, needs the squad markings and a dodgy eye sorting out. I have used an alternative head to the scout one after I saw someone else on this forum use them in an older thread. I thought I'd borrow the idea.

I have gone with black bolters as I thought red stood out to much.

Nice conversion on the boltgun, what did you use for that barrel extension?

Thanks Rossjk.

I purchased them (along with the scopes and other bits) from Anvil Industry back in 2012. I have 8 left and wanted all my scout bolters to have them but I don't see them on the website anymore unfortunately. I'm going to send them a message and see if they have any knocking around or if they have any plans to cast anymore as I'll want some more if I can get them.

Just a quick update; whilst I work on the boltguns for my scouts I have been creating my first Vanguard veteran. He has no shoulderpads at the moment as I will be painting them separately so its easier to paint the chapter badge. I have also started basing up some Sternguard

gallery_23360_12196_346969.jpg

So I ran out of scouts to model up.

In my box I had

5xCCW scouts

6 bodies to use as boltgun scouts

4 full bogun scouts,

4 sniper scouts

Telion

1 Land speeder storm

1 Scout biker with grenade launcher.

I needed some more scouts and I have managed to adopt some from a well known auction site.

All this (and 2 metal bolter scouts) cost me less than a 5 man squad of plastic scouts new, bargain!

gallery_23360_12196_168839.jpg

Some of them are a little rough and lots of glue was used in some places (you get what you pay for!) but I should be able to salvage most of it.

There are 10 scouts, 3 scout bikes, a land speeder storm and the two metal bolter scouts. Half of them are already having a bath to strip off the paint and I separated pieces where it was easy to do so.

Archived