Iron Hands support for my tanks

Brendaen

I usually run an IA Armored Company list. The FAQ change for grenades has helped some, but I was thinking of running some Iron Hands to support my tanks. Use a Tech Marine in the backfield to keep my Command Tank repaired and two Tactical squads moving up with my Demolisher and Thunderer. The tanks can provide cover for the Marines and the Marines protect the tank from assaults.

I also have the Stormhawk Interceptor for my AA support.

Would 5 man tactical squads be enough?

I think 5 man squads will be fine. You don't want to spend too many points on an allied force, and with an armoured company you're not planning on outnumbering the foe. Smaller squads should be more agile to help protect your lines too and prevent charges and flanking shots etc. You'd not want a heavy weapon so no need to worry about unlocking extra upgrades with a larger squad.

The only consideration is that they'd likely be the only infantry on the table? That would make them the targets of all anti-personnel weaponry, so use of cover will be vital. If you were to add bodies to add durability I'd spread them across more units (or combat squads?). With a tank list you've already made your bed so to speak, so I wouldn't be too concerned with tweaking the infantry to get them "perfect" smile.png

I'd personally go 2x 10 man squads maybe with flamers and possibly a heavy weapon.

This way you can potentially have 4x 5 man obsec squads for versatility or 2x 10man squads for durability.

Space marines might be tougher than guard but with the game these days theyre almost as squishy. If you have the points I'd definitely go with 10. Interceptor would be great AA.

I was considering 10 man squads and combat squading them. Sgt and special weapon moving with the tanks, heavy weapon and his friends hanging out in the back field protecting artillery and command tank.

I've used Armored Fist units before, buy even in a Chimera, my IG troops die so quickly...

Archived