Good uses for "Suppressive Fire!"

What targets are good for hitting with this order? Here are my suggestions:

Ork Boys.

Poor leadership. Relies on assaulting. Being forced to chill for a turn in rapidfire range of guardsmen will really stink for them.

Pathfinders.

Low leadership, not a great save, unless in cover. T3, so even lasguns can force a test. If these guys have to snapshoot, it's a really crucial link of the Tau warmachine gone.

Fire warriors.

Lower priority, but otherwise, see above. 

Kroot. 

If your Tau opponent is running Kroot, it's probably because he wanted two minimum squads of cheap troops for more battlesuits. Lasgun shots will decimate these guys, and you can force his only objective secured to stand still and do nothing. Great, if you've gotten good board control and you have blobs sitting on crucial objectives.

Marines.

Even MEQ are vulnerable, I think. Leadership 8, to be sure. But you can force multiple pinning checks a phase. He may succeed 2 thirds of the time. But if you can force three tests, hey ho for neutered tacs/Assault marines/scouts/devs.

Guardians.

I mention these only in passing, because everyone takes bikes. But this order could work well on that one guy who takes them.

You guys have any suggestions? 

I think you highlight some of the obvious targets, but anything with a lower leadership is a good shout. Outside of that perhaps not, it depends on your needs. Marines could be Ld9 with a Veteran Sergeant so not easy to get a fail but it might be worth the gamble in certain situations. If you're looking at lasguns though you might be better off with FRFSRF to try and kill off the squad, perhaps Suppressive Fire would be better on something with better odds at killing something e.g. plasma guns that will go through any armour?

I didn't think you could trigger more than one pinning check in a phase on the same unit, are you sure about that one?

BRB, page 168:

"As long as the test is passed, a unit can be called upon to take multiple pinning tests per turn, but only once for each unit shooting at them."

It further says that a pinning test is taken as soon as the attack is resolved, not at the end of the phase.

This is something I only realized last night, and it seems very powerful to me. You could order 4 units with this order, fire at one unit til it fails a check, and then immediately switch targets with the remainder. In elite, but non fearless armies, it could be crippling. 

I think you highlight some of the obvious targets, but anything with a lower leadership is a good shout. Outside of that perhaps not, it depends on your needs. Marines could be Ld9 with a Veteran Sergeant so not easy to get a fail but it might be worth the gamble in certain situations. If you're looking at lasguns though you might be better off with FRFSRF to try and kill off the squad, perhaps Suppressive Fire would be better on something with better odds at killing something e.g. plasma guns that will go through any armour?

Perhaps, but if you're using a 10 man guard squad, it'll be rare that you can finish any one unit off with lasgun fire. I was thinking Special weapons teams would be nice. Either snipers, or, if you're feeling cheeky, flamers. Heavy weapons teams, or cover camping veterans seem like other good targets. Not going to finish off a target, but they can really harass it.  

Necron Warriors and Immortals are also susceptible. They do not have fearless, unless a formation grants them fearless. So keep that in your back pocket.

It can be very good, but those ork boyz, are going to have a Nob, with a bosspole, and they have mob rule. Just like guard, they have a mechanic for getting around failed leadership.

You'll find that pinning is going to be a game changer when it works, but getting it to work is the hard part.

Archived