Special Weapons Shock Troops

One thing I have been considering lately is an objective storming special weapons team. Not objective holding, these guys will be easy to kill, but objective storming.

I'm thinking either a tri flamer or double flamer demo charge. In either case, in a Chimera. Move up, hopefully be ignored, kill units who are mostly useless when not holding objectives. Their numbers are too small to hold the objective against a sustained attack, but it would force them to park some elite unit on it.

Do you guys think this is viable, or is it overshadowed by a veteran squad with similar equipment?

They're good choices for SWSs. Aside from three flamers being nice and cheap they'll also hit particularly hard for it, and the option to sub one for a demo charge gives them some potential - though at a cost in points and target priority! Their smaller size may mean they're more likely to be ignored than a Vet squad but realistically that depends on what your opponent has available. Certain opponents/units wouldn't want three flamers getting close for example too.

What about three grenade launchers as an alternative? Gives them good range to keep further away from enemies and you'll struggle to find an upgrade weapon more likely to be ignored and underestimated than the grenade launcher :lol:

They seem to end up being the perfect target for ragged spare squads that don't have any other good targets, but hey, at 45pts with three Flamers they're not terrible. Could have them dropping from a Vendetta as it flies over.

They seem to end up being the perfect target for ragged spare squads that don't have any other good targets, but hey, at 45pts with three Flamers they're not terrible. Could have them dropping from a Vendetta as it flies over.

This ^ .... Treat them as a suicide squad, keep it cheap. I have had some luck keeping them buried among a sea of infantry, opponents lose sight of them (until you're throwing a demo charge on them)

I've done this quite a few times and it's great. It's also a balance against the Vendetta's anti armour weapon loadout to have dedicated and cheap anti-infantry inside.

If you put them in a vendetta, the tallarn upgrade might help. Gives them rerolls on 1's and MTC, which will greatly increase their survivability with the grav chute insertion, as well as giving them the ability to move faster. Additionally, they have protection from gets hot!(reroll 1's) so if you decided to add in a bit more plasma you have that too.

SWS are a great idea, and I really like them. Especially in light of how I seem to be building my lists, I'd rather chuck my grenade launchers in a SWS than in my line squads so I can get maximum effect from FRFSRF, as I tend now towards blobbing my platoon up.

If you put them in a vendetta, the tallarn upgrade might help. Gives them rerolls on 1's and MTC, which will greatly increase their survivability with the grav chute insertion, as well as giving them the ability to move faster. Additionally, they have protection from gets hot!(reroll 1's) so if you decided to add in a bit more plasma you have that too.

SWS are a great idea, and I really like them. Especially in light of how I seem to be building my lists, I'd rather chuck my grenade launchers in a SWS than in my line squads so I can get maximum effect from FRFSRF, as I tend now towards blobbing my platoon up.

Ulrik what Tallarn upgrade are you referring to? I assume FW, but im unfamiliar which book/rule set?

Ulrik what Tallarn upgrade are you referring to? I assume FW, but im unfamiliar which book/rule set?

Indeed I'm talking about the FW rules for Tallarn Desert Raiders. It's out of IA3.2 I think. It's basically you pay 20 points and get rerolls on 1's for shooting, and Move through cover. Additionally, you cannot take carapace armor (Platoons, Vets, and CCS's may take this upgrade).

Archived