Assault marines: which power weapon?

Master of Asgard

Hello all,

I've got a squad of 10 assault marines with combat shields who will be joined by an apothecary, a praetor and a librarian in bigger games. So a pretty nice squad that can do some damage and hopefully take a bit as well.

I've got 3 power weapons for the squad (one on the sergeant) and one on the apothecary. The libby has a force sword and the praetor has a perdition blade.

So the real question is... I'm thinking 2 power swords on the 2 marines, but I'm not sure whether to give the sergeant and the apothecary axes to get a bit of AP2 going or if striking last leaves them too vulnerable?

What's the general consensus?

He apothecary can only take a Power Sword so thats sorted.

Give the Sergeant a Power Fist. Denies FNP in most scenarios and punches through 2+ armour while wounding most things on a 2+

For the rest of the squad, I'm partial to power axes but with BA having +1 to wound, swords are Ok enough an option.

Use an Axe on the Libby though. That way your attacks dont bounce off 2+ saves unless you're rolling on Biomancy and get the Smash Power.

Good shout on the apothecary I hadn't noticed that! 

Not a bad idea for the fist too, that way I can use the 5 points for his melta bomb to supplement the extra cost.

I'm still a bit torn between axes and swords for the rest of them. If I give everyone axes I may as well not give the apothecay a sword because the squad will be geared out for TEQ. I reckon the sheer weight of ap- attacks and the praetor's ap 2 at initiative counteracts the fact that there's quite a few attacks hitting last.

2+ saves are common enough that a cc unit needs at least some way of dealing with them. And for me, with the +1 to wound, I love the Axe and MB's, for extra attack over the fist, but if your running up against a lot of FNP, or Multi-wound Termies, fist all the way. Libby always gets either an axe or a maul (since its modeled that way thanks to Gallans staff in 40k)

Though a brief note from personal experience, the Mauls are usually severely overlooked. Against T4 Power armor, the sword wins out just barely, but against literally every other target, the Maul is better. You don't deny saves vs marines, but you wound on 2s, rather than 4s, unless you have a way to buff your own strength. And of course, against 4+ armor saves like the mechanicus, or even the 3+ saves with high toughness, the mauls are a livesaver.

I would go with ol' faithful powerfist on Sgt (with combat shield), and power swords for the generics.  I see the argument for axes, but I wouldn't want my assault marines anywhere near anything with a 2+ save, as those things tend to murderize power armoured units.  Your Sgt should ensure mutual destruction with their artificer Sgt in a challenge unless they have some wonky gear (Deathscythes, Glaives, Phoenix Spears on the charge, etc.), while characters will be sporting an invulnerable save that would ignore a portion of your AP2 anyway, so may as well get those attacks in as soon as possible.  Assault Marines I see as a more mobile scoring unit that can bully popular units like Veterans, Seekers, Support Squads, Tactical Marines, and Rapier batteries. Being only 15 points more than a tactical squad in a Rhino, with more weapon options, they are super viable now in my opinion.

I think how you arm assault marines really had a lot to do with your row.

In something like angels wrath, I would really want melta bombs and a chaplain more than wanting an apothecary.

That said, I like axes and a powerfist and combat shield. Although I play raven guard, so I kinda love running a sgt with raven talons

• 8 months later...
How would you guys arm your Assault Squads for a NL Drop Assault Vanguard list? I was thinking 15 man with 1 axe, 2 swords and the Sarge with AA, Powerfist. Also put a n Apoth with Jump Pack in there. Is that viable or what would you change. Never played Assault Squads before, so any Tipps are appreciated

I'd either go all or nothing when it comes to swords vs axes. If I want to have an assault marine unit that's going to have a shot at being able to attack +2 armor targets, one axe won't cut it I'll take the full three. Since you need two assault marine units maybe do one with 3 axes and one with 3 swords. Sarge of course should always have ap2, though I do often take chainglaives just for rule of cool. 

There are good arguments for both sides.

Best was would be to make unit wide Melta Bombs upgrades cheaper.

I don't know if there is a "good" argument against using the FAQ other than "I don't like the rules as written." That being said, they should decrease the cost of unit wide melta bombs given the rules change/clarification

Archived