Crusaders of Dorn by Guy Haley.

Sete

Just bought the book. Its an antologhy that brings together the short stories written by Guy Haley.
There were a couple of stories that i didnt previoulsy own and the new story Uncanny Crusade explains what happened to the Cythors in the Ghoul Stars Crusade.
It also gives a look into the traditions of the Black Templars, and I particulary enjoyed to know how a Initiate is promoted to Sword Brother.
Im no book critic but overall a good read in my opinion.
There is Zeal, Neophyte Scout Squad, and holy retribution.
Also High Marshall Helbrecth in Terminator armour. Praise be.

Also the Cantus Maxim Gloria is the oldest Black Templar Dreadnought. I strongly suspect he is Rogal Dorn. Or Sigismund.

He is referred quite a few times.

I'm disappointed they didn't put The Eternal Crusader in with it. It's Haley's parallel-to-Helsreach novella, and would have bumped the page count to ~400. Especially strange since the placeholder cover was from said novella for a long time.

I'd strongly suggest getting the Glorious Tomb audio drama too, as it was very powerful in delivery and production. It was great.

I'm disappointed they didn't put The Eternal Crusader in with it. It's Haley's parallel-to-Helsreach novella, and would have bumped the page count to ~400. Especially strange since the placeholder cover was from said novella for a long time.

I'd strongly suggest getting the Glorious Tomb audio drama too, as it was very powerful in delivery and production. It was great.

Such a shame that The Eternal Crusader was omitted from this release, was really looking forward to seeing the void based side to the battle for Armageddon, Helsreach is such an amazing book!

Glorious Tomb is very powerful, made all the more so by the audio production and acting skills of Toby Longworth. I usually have audio's on while doing something else (work, driving, gardening, cooking, dishes etc...) on the first occasion listening to this i was Ironing and didn't realise until it finished that i had stopped and was just standing still enthralled for the last 15 mins... absolutely incredible!

I always wanted to understand more about Helbrecht and why he was so set on almost seeing Grimaldus sacrifice his life for the Helsreach Crusade. I am part way through the audiobook of Helsreach again (such a gripping story) and was really hoping to pick up Blood and Fire along with The Eternal Crusader following it but the formats of the printed books are all over the place and i'm not an ebook buyer... if only every release had the audio treatment lol biggrin.png

The Templars are finishing the Ghoul Stars Crusade and receive the astropathic message to go to Armaggedon.

It shows how Helbrecth assumed the command of the fleet, the tension between him and Grimaldus, and the boarding actions on the Ork Hulks. I consider that the prologue to Helreach. Might not be the proper word fo it tho. Its the Eternal Crusader book.

Ohhh I thought you meant like a prologue explaining the new fluff. My bad. :D

My mistake! I should have explained it properly.

But i liked the new story Uncanny Crusade.

It explains a lot about the xenos of Ghoul Stars and why the Crusade "failed". Also if you model High Marshall Helbrecth in terminator armour his Helmet is Bronze colored :)

And he uses Power Sword (Sword of the High Marshalls) and Storm Bolter.

I'd recommend not buying Blood and Fire on its own. Grab the Armageddon re-release of Helsreach and BaF instead, its out in paperback by now. Fits right in line with the other SMB books.

Awesome, i think i'll go with that as would be nice to have Helsreach in print too... looking at it there appears to be quite a few SMB combination releases from this year (War of the Fang, Damnos, Flesh Tearers etc...) i wonder if The Eternal Crusader will get a release with something else in the future?

Did they reedit helsreach for the new fluff?

What is the new fluff you refer to? Helsreach is only a few years old, has a new Codex been released which invalidates some of the plot?

Yes. Grimaldus was killed trying to save the enterprise from Khan by being exposed to too much radiation, but in this new fluff they have Helbrecht do it and Benebatch plays Khan.

A true slap in the face to Templar fans.

Yes. Grimaldus was killed trying to save the enterprise from Khan by being exposed to too much radiation, but in this new fluff they have Helbrecht do it and Benebatch plays Khan.

A true slap in the face to Templar fans.

Really Bro? biggrin.png

Where is this new fluff...who is the Khan?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, so in spite of me looking like an idiot maybe... he's making a reference about Star Trek.

No mate, thanks

I had no idea what he was on about haha

Where is this new fluff...who is the Khan?

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, so in spite of me looking like an idiot maybe... he's making a reference about Star Trek.

No mate, thanks

I had no idea what he was on about haha

Uncanny Crusade was really good - that explains a lot, why Black Templars were soooo frustrated at Armaggedon biggrin.png

Just got my copy. It clocks in at barely over 200 pages, and the spine-mounted Space Marine all SMB books spot is far smaller than usual due to the halved width of the spine. It really wouldn't have killed them to keep The Eternal Crusader in it, and even then they would've pages to spare for another story before getting to 400.

This feels pretty annoying and cheap of them, seeing how they put Flesh of Cretacia, Sons of Wrath and Trial by Blood ALL into the Flesh Tearers SMB book, which is a bit over 500 pages, and cost me less.

Thanks for the detail on this re the book, considering the price this does seem questionable re the removal of what would have been the backbone of this release... only thing i can think of is they're planning a 3rd War for Armageddon anthology of The Eternal Crusader, Dante's Canyon & Angron's Monolith?

Even then I'd consider it more logical and better form to include The Eternal Crusader with the book that is in large parts about Helbrecht and features his art, is by the same author and has 150+ pages below the normal length, and instead add another few stories to another anthology like that.

Not like they couldn't commission one if needed. There's Unbroken and In the Depths of Hades left, for example, and Yarrick: Sarcophagus, featuring Black Dragons and thus tying into Death of Antagonis.

Good call re the extra tales they could use... so many tales from the 3rd Armageddon war, is there much that covers the 1st and 2nd? The world of 40k is still very new to me (i am way more familiar about 30k) and i do find it confusing at times binding all of the loose threads into one coherent picture... though with a galaxy wide setting that shouldn't surprise me laugh.png

Archived