Space Wolf Fiction

Icarus1138

I'm not really up to speed on the recent Space Wolf fiction, other than being aware it exists. I know there's a collection of new short stories, and a novel, and a campaign book? I was hoping someone could break down what exactly had come out, and in what order. Any notes on what's important/good and what's not would be great too.

Chris Wraight: Space Marine Battles: Battle of the Fang & The Hunt for Magnus, collected in War of the Fang.

There's a series by Chris Wraight currently still running, being Blood of Asaheim and Stormcaller.

Ragnar Blackmane via Space Marine Legends by AD-B

Legends of the Dark Millennium: Space Wolves is collecting 8 "short story" parts:

1. Feast of Lies by Ben Counter

2. The Caged Wolfby Ben Counter

3. Eye of the Dragon by Steve Lyons

4. Dark Cityby Steve Lyons

5. The Darkness of Angels by Rob Sanders

6. The Wolf Within by Rob Sanders

7. Scent of a Traitor by C.L. Werner

8. Wrath of the Wolf by C.L. Werner

Curse of the Wulfen by David Annandale is the direct tie-in to the Campaign book of the same name.

Legacy of Russ by Robbie MacNiven is the sequel to it, released in 8 parts before the upcoming novel-format release:

1. The Lost King

2. The Young Wolf's Return

3. Lying in Flames

4. The Broken Crown

5. Infurnace

6. Wolf Trap

7. The Wild King

8. Fate Unbound

Sequel novel to Curse of the Wulfen/Legacy of Russ is planned, Robbie was supposed to write it but was rescheduled, no idea who is working on it now.

Lords of the Space Marines: Arjac Rockfist: Anvil of Fenris by Ben Counter

Anthologies:

Sons of Russ

* Kraken by Chris Wraight (SMB)

* Twelve Wolves by Ben Counter

* Deathwolf by Andy Smillie (SMB), + Script

* Thunder from Fenris by Nick Kyme, + Script

* Runes by Chris Wraight

Wolves of Fenris by Chris Wraight

* Bjorn: Lone Wolf (HH)

* Kraken (SMB)

* Iron Priest

* Wolf's Claw (HH)

* Wulfen

* Failure's Reward

* Bjorn: The Fell-Handed

Individual Space Wolves short stories not collected yet:

Engage the Enemy by Lee Lightner

Hunt-Sense by Chris Wraight

In Hrondir's Tomb by Mark Clapham

Question:

How good is the Wolves of Fenris Anthology in comparison to his other Vlka stuff like War of the Fang or Wolf King?

Is he getting better from novel to novel, making his first mediocre and the last ones awesome? Or were these stories well done as well?

Let's see...

I thought Kraken was great. Lone Wolf story, dealing with both the hunt and his trauma.

Bjorn: Lone Wolf was a quick action piece (for the advent calendar, 1500 words iirc), so kind of a bummer. It does, however, set up Bjorn: The Fell-Handed, which was good. It was told by other Space Wolves among themselves, and was basically a rematch of the former story.

Iron Priest I didn't like, didn't do enough.

Wolf's Claw is the story of how Bjorn got his claw during Alaxxes (I believe), since he'd lost his hand at the end of Prospero Burns. Good but short character piece.

Wulfen I remember loving when it came out. Its actually an Inquisition story, featuring Torquemada Coteaz himself. They're on to the Curse of the Wulfen there, and it was quite well executed.

Failure's Reward is another 1500 word advent short and deals with a rejected recruit who became a serf. Its a rare story to tell, and I loved it. Its part of why I appreciate those advent shorts so much. They allow authors to experiment and shine the spotlight on things we usually miss.

Its not a long anthology by any means. I believe it was 128 pages, novella length. The longest stories were Kraken and Wulfen, both of which still hold up I'd say. Quality wise I can't compare them to Wraight's Asaheim novels, though, since I haven't read those.

Battle of the Fang released a while before Kraken, though, and everything else came later.

More like a bridge between Scars and Vengeful Spirit. Path of Heaven ends after VS' involvement of the Space Wolves.

Yes, but I was talking about Wraight's stories only. In general state it's like:

Scars > Wolf kIng > Vengeful Spirit (for obvious reasons for anyone who read it) > The Path of Heaven.

Archived