Praetorian of Dorn

Izlude

There's no need to post spoilers in a non-spoilers thread.

This is not a spoiler-free thread. Why are you assuming it is?

This is an open discussion...do you're browsing at your own peril.

That said, you could avoid all troubles by starting a spoiler-free thread.

I actually think most ppl here are using the spoiler tag quite well

To be fair the whole browse at your own peril is a bit of an insult really

I actually didn't realise that the ebook was out before the actual book so didn't think there would be spoilers as I was more looking to see what was the actual release date as soon as I saw there was spoilers I got the hell out of this thread and brought the ebook, sometimes it would nice if there was some sort of warning like spoilers inside on the thread title like a warning especially in the black library section. After all the title doesn't really suggest it's spoiler free or not and wanting an idea of whether a book is good or not without major parts being ruined shouldn't be that much of a problem even in a thread topic based around the book regardless of how easy it is for people to find out exactly what happens in a book without reading it

Perhaps Alpharius' spear has something to do with the Soul Drinkers?

Also, one of Alpharius' (what I assumed are prized possessions) is a winged sword pedant locked in Stasis. I wonder who gave it to him. Luther or the Lion?

The Swearing of Oaths with a hand in a flame -- Crimson Fist connection?

Not really - the Crimson Fist was specific to Polux himself - There's a passage in Unremembered Empire where it's marked how his new hand is crimson or something along those lines.

If anything I'd say it's a nod to the Pain Glove albeit in the most literal sense

But that's part of the problem - this isn't designated a spoiler free thread. If it were, then it would be pretty cut and dried. Granted it isn't distinctly labelled "Spoilers Inside" either which it perhaps should be but that's not really the issue. The book has been out a couple of days for people who buy ebooks. And if those people want to discuss parts of it with others who have read it and/or people who really have no interest in reading it and just want to know what happens what's wrong with them doing that in a thread?

It's not wrong of them to do so, as long as the replies to spoiler posts are also posted in spoilers.

In principle this should be a fairly spoiler free thread. If you want to post spoilers marked as such, you can of course do so and I'm not saying people shouldn't, I am just saying that it then requires discipline on everyone's side to keep marking them as spoilers.

It's easier to just start a specific spoiler thread where you can spoil at leisure.

Anyway that is the last I'll say on the subject as this wasn't meant to be a discussion on spoilers.

Was the words in orange? No? Then I wasnt wearing my mod hat, just another poster on B&C.

There is a report function if you feel the post was harmful or needs specific attention.

No need for any of that I'm sure. I didn't know that moderator's posts were in orange anyway smile.png

Spoiler 

So, after finishing this I can mildly say I'm heartbroken. Poor, poor Alpharius. But did someone catch what his gig was about? It almost felt that he wanted his fleet to be massacred by Dorn so that VICTORY was given to him [Dorn]. Or did he want to spoil all the traitor primarchs' weaknesses? Did he want to tell him about Omegon? What was his plan (except of making a futile megalomaniac monologue)? Though the last duel between Dorn and Alpharius was nothing less than epic.

Agree with Marshall Loss on a suposed IF book it was AL that shined.

IF were just in the book to be the victims of the worf effect.

IF are the best when defending but AL already infiltrated your defences even before you built them. So you already lost and everything you do is acording to our plan. Its silly.

Agree with Marshall Loss on a suposed IF book it was AL that shined.

IF were just in the book to be the victims of the worf effect.

IF are the best when defending but AL already infiltrated your defences even before you built them. So you already lost and everything you do is acording to our plan. Its silly.

That was not my impression after reading the book. It was a dualistic story between the Imperial Fists and the Alpha Legion, of two ways of fighting a war that has turned the galaxy upside down. And if anything the Fists do shine in this novel. Dorn beats Alpharius in his own game (sure, giving Alpharius the moral victory of forcing Dorn to play the Hydra's game, but hey. He's dead).

Dark chaplain does this book

give any indication to the loyalty of omegon after Al gets it?

I haven't fully read it yet, just jumping through, reading dialogue here and there (good stuff!).

That causes me physical pain.

You are a heretek Dark Chaplain! Who reads the books this way, omg.

Wasn't sure it'd actually be Alpharius to be offed until Omegon had his bit.

True biggrin.png

Also, and bear with me while I double tap the horse on the ground, but does anyone have the description of Janus on hand? Because we have the statue of Alpharius wearing a crested helm and leaning on a spear...

That was trolling from A D-B side in 'The Emperor's Gift' biggrin.png A D-B, i'm joking msn-wink.gif

Wow...that is indeed quite a big plot twist.

Will be picking this up for sure.

You could say biggrin.png

We have Abnett to thank for the foundations of the Vlka Fenryka and Alpha Legion

Wraight and French are building upon thst beautifully

And Rob Sanders too! His XX story, 'The Harrowing', was very good too.

It was the best - up to this amazing novel from John msn-wink.gif

The last few HH 'progression' novels have been fantastic. I personally loved Pharos, and was a huge fan of Path of Heaven. John French, no doubt, just wrote one of the best novels of the HH series. The Crimson Fist was great also, but sometimes I think certain authors are better at shorter formats and that has been my experience generally with John French. The Ahriman books were ok to me, but nothing like his short stories and novellas. That has changed, this story didn't let up from start to finish. It started with a fast beat, calmed down (but still with this feeling of something inevitable coming), then brought it right back over the top.

One of the things I liked the best was the continuing humanization of the astartes, along with the continuing dehumanization of the primarchs. Showing the astartes as altered humans, but the primarchs as things that look human is genius. Can you tell I thought this was an awesome story?

Path of Heaven is a masterpiece and I officialy declare - that none beat this novel for the last 4 years! Praetorian of Dorn come close, but still Path of Heaven is the best !

Did anyone else realise that

Arkos the Faithless (from the Siege of Vraks)

was in the epilogue?

Why do you think it is him? Some definite proof?

Don't read the spoiler unless you are entirely certain you want the potential fun spoiled. Just trust me on this.

Turn back now!

It is indeed the real Alpharius.

He dies to Rogal

Omegon becomes Alpharius for good

Is this a joke?

Nope, lol. I'm still Alpharius through, and we are still Legion! biggrin.png

nope

But indeed it is questionable. Cause there are a lot of us msn-wink.gif

Perhaps Alpharius' spear has something to do with the Soul Drinkers?

Also, one of Alpharius' (what I assumed are prized possessions) is a winged sword pedant locked in Stasis. I wonder who gave it to him. Luther or the Lion?

The Swearing of Oaths with a hand in a flame -- Crimson Fist connection?

Not really - the Crimson Fist was specific to Polux himself - There's a passage in Unremembered Empire where it's marked how his new hand is crimson or something along those lines.

If anything I'd say it's a nod to the Pain Glove albeit in the most literal sense

Let's be honest, and I totally agree with John on that - Imperial Fists are flagellant zealots. They are immersed in pain from the creation and even before that from youth (they find the most broken/beaten boys available).

How many Primarchs know Alpharius has a twin? Horus probably, Magnus & Lorgar probably. Is that it?

Lion El Jonson, strangely Angron, and off non-primarchs Sigillite

I'm not sure how to use spoiler tags, so be warned...

Great book. Loved the myriad Sol-cultures. John French is very much a rising star in my eyes.

Did anyone else connect the Swearing of the Oath to the Fire Lords, who's symbol is a fist in flames?

I'm not sure how to use spoiler tags, so be warned...

Great book. Loved the myriad Sol-cultures. John French is very much a rising star in my eyes.

Did anyone else connect the Swearing of the Oath to the Fire Lords, who's symbol is a fist in flames?

Yes - it's definitely seems like them

Great book. Good to see the quality recently back to a good level. I really liked the Alpharius/Omegon thing so I am a bit let down for the alpha legion. It ain't like they are going to have their primarchs getting big scalps after all. I hope that Guilliman does not kill the other twin now and that Omegon gets some high points from here on out

To be fair the whole browse at your own peril is a bit of an insult really

I actually didn't realise that the ebook was out before the actual book so didn't think there would be spoilers as I was more looking to see what was the actual release date as soon as I saw there was spoilers I got the hell out of this thread and brought the ebook, sometimes it would nice if there was some sort of warning like spoilers inside on the thread title like a warning especially in the black library section. After all the title doesn't really suggest it's spoiler free or not and wanting an idea of whether a book is good or not without major parts being ruined shouldn't be that much of a problem even in a thread topic based around the book regardless of how easy it is for people to find out exactly what happens in a book without reading it

Two points in response:

1. A lot of spoiler tags here...don't see many (if any) naked spoilers really

2. Your ignorance of the release date could've been easily cured by a quick look at the BL website.

Nothing about this thread suggests that it's spoiler free

No, this forum's.

Mission statement from B& C:

The Bolter & Chainsword promotes constructive discussion about all aspects of the Warhammer 40,000 hobby in relation to Power Armor armies. This is a public forum that is viewed by members from a wide range of age groups and cultural backgrounds. Please be considerate of others when composing your replies.

You are suggesting the opposite of that idea.

Furthermore, it is general practice on message boards to mark spoilers as spoilers. That is why it is done here as well. 

Your suggestion that it is perfectly normal to find spoilers in a standard thread for a book that has just been out for 24 hours is..... outlandish and surreal. They should at least be marked, and it is not standard to expect plot spoilers.

If anything it shows that the Fists are more than ready for the traitors, given the time they have prepared themselves. I loved the fact that French balanced the power between the two factions, giving them both solid ground to enact their favorite fighting style. Don't mock a Fist where he plants his feet and say "Not an inch more".

This book follows Path of Heaven (and in part Pharos) in that it gives the feeling that the endgame is nigh. :cuss is coming for Sol and no one can stop it. A big + in my world!

I liked the book, and i dont believe the real Alpharius is dead.

I think Solonius was himself, and was psychic manipulated to fool everyone, including himself and Omegon, so Alpharius could fake is own death.

The psychic rekonstruktion, and the talk between Alpharius and Solonius about the spear made me doubt the kill.

Right im going to throw a spaniard into the works. It could be pure balderdash buuuut hear the theory out. For those that do not wish for spoilers dont read this next bit

the alpha legion have the necessary tools for cloning thanks to the raven guard/high probability they've seen what fabulous bile is up to, plot twist, although omegon felt the "death" is it not implausible that Alpharius had protocols for cloning in place given that we "know" guilleman kills someone he believes to be alpharius, also in hand with the information that it seemed apparent that omegons missions were directly at odds with alpharius (assumption that omegon wouldn't need to fight Bobby G)

Archived