Vulture Gunship Stuff

Ulrik_Ironfist

OK, so I have an unbuilt vulture gunship in my Queue, and the part that's been keeping me from doing anything is how to magnetize the weapons.

My last attempt felt rather inelegant. This time I was thinking of gluing the hardpoints to the weapons and using magnetic strip as the magnetic surface and then sinking the rare earth magnets flush into the wing. I Think this would end up cleaner, and I know the magnetic strip will hold securely enough to REM, that it'll get the job done.

I had also been thinking about modifications to the model. Since my Forces always have a bit of a Special Operations feel to them, I was thinking of a creative way I could use them as Vendettas.

I have been thinking about using some plasticard to make some troop benches, like you see here on this MH-6 Little Bird

Hidden Content
http://notreally.info/transport/helicopters/little_bird/mh-6/img/_werc/smak/prev//little_bird_eps_fries.png

I'd need to get my hands on some Twin linked lascannons, and the boards would be magnetized as well to clean the model up. I may or may not do this conversion, since FW recently released values for the Vulture and it's a bit more agile. The only problem from a rules perspective is that this looks very open topped -ish to me, and the vendetta is not. It may not even be feasible to do this I just kinda thought it would be cool.

The big concern is magnetization right now, because I want to get this sucker built.

Here's one with troops riding on the boards:

Hidden Content
800px-MH6_at_NASCAR.jpg

Here's another of the board themselves:

Hidden Content
9f3b9833af0cd2a57d5cf622fe111381.jpg

I hope those work. The occupied one doesn't show the boards, but it does sort of show the idea I'm going for...

I think that would be a neat counts as. I don't think too many people would complaint if you went through all that effort and it fits a theme. Just check with your TO if you're entering tournaments with it.

I wish I had magnetised my vendetta sponsons. If its the same mounts as that a couple of round 2x1mm magnets should do the trick. 2 on the sponson and 2 on the wing mount. I'd probably go for 3x 3mm on those side boards though.

Awesome idea. Rule of Cool should override all but the staunchest of opponents/TO's (and you probably aren't meeting either of those anytime soon). 

For Lascannons....got any spare ones from HWT's? 

....or a SM friend not using them for a Razorback? 

I know you are eager to get this thing done by I have rarely ever regretted magnetizing a model, especially one that is heavily customized. Fight through, brother!

I magnetized my other one, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I may not do the boards, I need to look at the model and see how much room there is.

I magnetized my other one, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I may not do the boards, I need to look at the model and see how much room there is.

I'd love to see Guard get a Little Bird-style Flier. A nice, light in-and-out job that could take a small squad where it needs to go, and has a bit of firepower to help out. Maybe give it Assault Transport as well but no Grav Chute Insertion?

Even if it looks cool i'd prefer Mi-24 concept for transport-gunship-infantry fighting flying vehicle. I don't like that troopers are exposed to enemy fire and can be killed even with a pistol. But i still would like to see the finished model. 

The Mil-24 is nice, though I think the idea of the Little Bird is, "hey if this thing gets hit by a rocket it's going down with everyone aboard anyway. Might as well be fast and light to avoid fire and developed in such a way that people can disembark in seconds, limiting the amount of time the chopper is sitting still."

I mean, the odds of lining up a decent shot on one are fairly low if it's moving fast. Its also probably cheap as all get-out, and easy to mount chaff flares on.

Even if it looks cool i'd prefer Mi-24 concept for transport-gunship-infantry fighting flying vehicle. I don't like that troopers are exposed to enemy fire and can be killed even with a pistol. But i still would like to see the finished model. 

Thing is, guard already has an Mi-24 type concept, in the Valkyrie. Now, maybe give the Valkyrie some more guns, and you've got more of an MI-24(Though to be honest, the valkyrie, even with it's weapons is more like a UH-60 with the stub wings attached). But as Coffee said the point of the MH-6 is to get in fast deliver it's payload and get out with minimal time on the ground, in most cases the MH-6 doesn't even really touch down (Working at Ft Campbell I got to see the 160th SOAR do all kinds of cool stuff). The other key difference is that the MH-6 is a Special Operations helo. I understand what you're saying but given my knowledge of US Air Mobile doctrine, the same could be said for the blackhawk or huey (in the Marines case). They typically fly with the doors open and legs dangling, still exposed to enemy fire. Fact is it so rarely comes up, and US Military Air Assault doctrine necessitates aggression. Also, regardless of how big something is, if it's moving fast enough, hitting it with something like a pistol or semi-automatic rifle is exceedingly difficult. The other reason it is that way, is because it was the easiest way to add transport capability to the airframe, and all that you have to do is swap the armament stations for a couple of benches, versatility and adaptability.

Anyway, that's enough of that, Like I said, I'm more worried about how to magnetize this model. I think I'm going to try the magnetic strip Idea, since my last attempt was messy and I didn't really like how it turned out. When I get the model built I'll post pics. I may be working on it tonight, since tomorrow I have a day off.

Well there's always an option of barrage fire (don't know if this term can be used when a whole unit is firing into the piont ahead of the target creating a 'sheaf of fire' on the target's trajectory, not really trying to follow but catching it). Of course this option is used by well trained troops with experinced officers in command, which american army (Thanks God!) do not fight against very often. And rapid deployment without landing is good too. So ok, that's the point. Still i'd prefer armour and speed. and I agree that Valks and Vends are already the closest analog of Mi-24 from the box.

I'm sorry for missleading the discussion. As i already said i'm looking forward to see the result of the conversion.

Eh, if the entire enemy force is free to concentrate fire on the incoming air, then the support for said air isn't doing its job. They should be suppressed enough that they don't have the chance to put significant fire down on them. Combined Arms, yo.

I like the idea of the mag strips for versatility, by the way. More surface area for magnetic attraction should make them more solid, too.

Camo don't stop dat steel rain, yo. :P

As you say, no strategy can ever be perfect, but you can cause enough disruption that the enemy is unable to properly coordinate a resistance. The US hasn't fought a comparable power in a long time, so they don't need to worry about the sort of threat a more modern nation might present.

Anywaaaay, commenting on silly designs is silly. We're the Guard! Our tanks make Landships look modern and our aircraft are so chunky a cross-eyed Lootah could hit them!

At the end of the Day, the idea of making the boards is to give the illusion of transport capability, because let's be honest, who actually uses the Vendetta's transport capacity? We take it for the guns. Basically the way it would be equipped is to have the two inboard lascannons be the "hull mounted" TL lascannon, while the outboard cannons would be "wing mounted" TL Lascannons. They're at about the same place, so "modelling for advantage" really won't be a factor.

Looking at the model, it's going to be hard to figure out where to mount those seats without damaging the details though I do see a flat spot just behind the heavy bolter turret, that with a strong magnet might be a place to mount such a thing.

I'd be looking at sort of creating a platform with braces. basically it would be a magnet between two bars with platforms on either side. The whole thing would end up looking like a stylized "H". However, there is then the concern of looks, since the troopers would be sitting very close to the intake which doesn't sit well with me (I suppose you could imagine a screen to prevent FOD (Foreign Object Debris, namely dudes and equipment) from entering the intake (I know that the Imperium doesn't really put too much value in human lives, but it needs guardsmen and if you ever saw what a hat, much less a man, could do to a turbine...).

is it possible to put magnets inside of the hull? so those benches would be attached to it without any additional detail-destroying stuff

Camo don't stop dat steel rain, yo. tongue.png

Common sence does. You won't shoot emptiness. And you won't launch artillery strikes infront of your small strike team all their way to LZ and back to base. Really this game is endless. we won't know for sure if the little bird will survive in a fight with well equipped and trained enemy. cause it was build for war with barely armed ex-peasants. So let's stop it right here.

is it possible to put magnets inside of the hull? so those benches would be attached to it without any additional detail-destroying stuff

Camo don't stop dat steel rain, yo. tongue.png

Common sence does. You won't shoot emptiness. And you won't launch artillery strikes infront of your small strike team all their way to LZ and back to base. Really this game is endless. we won't know for sure if the little bird will survive in a fight with well equipped and trained enemy. cause it was build for war with barely armed ex-peasants. So let's stop it right here.

To answer the first thing, simply, no. The cockpit area is almost solid resin.

The second thing, you'd not really see the little bird deployed against a large force except in a raid. You'd more likely see an MH-47 come in to deliver the boys. It's just a tool. And you pick the right one for the job.

Yeah, the central fuselage is a solid brick of resin. Best you can hope to do is integrate the magnets discreetly.

Also give that baby twin-Punishers. Now you got a ground-attack bird that can support the troops when-needed. :)

IMO they're also the best weapon you can put on it, as HKs are a lot of one-shot missiles with only BS3 against air targets, and 4 against ground. Good, but not great. The Punisher reaps a bloody toll, though.

Archived