47th Sassenach Rifles

The_Mad_Hatter

Greetings all,

Ive been lurking about for a while now and recently started being active over in the wolves forum so thought it was past time I showed up for muster here too.

A bit of the background behind this force before we get to the pics.... the models were some I had lying about and thought I could use to practice my painting with (my hands shake) and when discussing with my Scottish mate what I should do with them, it was decided in a friendly l'il wager that the indy ref would decide their colour scheme..... If Scotland left they would be painted in Scottish colours but if they stayed in the UK then it would be the redcoats meet 40k, with the loser getting the naming rights and so the 47th Sassenach Rifles were born......

(Apologies for the poor quality phone pics)

Platoon Command Squad

gallery_85560_12312_211122.jpg

Commissar

gallery_85560_12312_76689.jpg

Infantry Squad 1

gallery_85560_12312_37066.jpg

Infantry Squad 2

gallery_85560_12312_63747.jpg

Infantry Squad 3

gallery_85560_12312_140836.jpg

Special Weapon Squad

gallery_85560_12312_235892.jpg

Ratlings

gallery_85560_12312_216160.jpg

Future updates as and when I finally manage to get it painted.

Thanks for looking :)

Welcome to the glorious Imperial Guard, trooper! You'll be manning the hole that just appeared in the western wall. Grab a lasgun and hop to it!

You have come supplied with pictures, I see. Well, you'll fit in with us nicely!

Keep it up thumbsup.gif!

Welcome, your models look great. A lot of character but still looking 40k! The kit bashing is great and the colours do them justice (you must let me know where you got your tartan paint, the kilts look amazing!), I'm looking forward to seeing more - especially if we get some Rough riders... ;)

Many thanks to all for the warm welcome :)

Son_of_Dorn and Inso are correct... the models are the victrix napoleonic highlanders with Pig Iron heads (Kolony rebel no 2). The special weapons are from the mantic corporation range, except for the grenade launchers, which came from the Cadian sprue and were just trimmed down to a more suitable size.

I'm glad you like the kilts.... they were a right pig to do lol. I originally tried copying several actual tartan patterns but a combination of the smaller scale and my shakes just made them look a busy mess. So I went with the K.I.S.S principle, removed a few lines and was left with the above, that in my mind at least, gives the effect of Blackwatch tartan without all the intricacy.

Rough riders are most definitely scheduled for the future....probably a whole platoons worth just incase GW ever share the krieg love with the rest of the guard lol, but maybe some augmented mounts would be safer incase they don't ;)

Thanks Akrim.

So whilst trying to clear some of the unfinished projects, I found myself being distracted by the small mountain of unassembled sprues kicking about. Fast forward a few days of tinkering about and I came up with this. Please excuse the picture quality and the painting...... It's not finished, i just slapped some colour on so I could get a better idea if I liked it or not.

gallery_85560_12312_279294.jpg

gallery_85560_12312_68802.jpg

gallery_85560_12312_309791.jpg

Think that on the whole I like the look..... I did try sculpting several different helms, but my green stuff skills are almost non existent, and the bicorne was the only one that at least looked vaguely like it should lol. The mount may get swapped out if I find something I prefer but until then I have enough horses to make up a squad (or three) so more to come in the near future.

Thanks for looking :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys..... Progress has been slow as life has been busy with the kids back to school routine but I've managed to knock up another 4 rough riders so pics will be coming soon :)

Thanks Dantay..... I've been looking for those lol..... I knew it wasn't just Victoria lamb's site I'd seen kilted legs on.

The only problem is that due to the napoleonic models used so far the scale won't be the same and I'm not sure how much of a visual difference there will be between the two. Im hoping it will at least be ok in separate squads as it's alot easier to make vets from heroic scale bits.

I plan on making some up at some point to see one way or the other and if it's workable then I can explain the size difference away in that, as far as I'm aware, historically grenadiers were originally recruited from amongst the largest men anyway ;)

Archived