why the white arms?

Lord Kallozar

Reading the text in the book, it's deliberate. Not what I plan to do personally, but the flexibility is codified.

Back to the arms, it's been that way since 3rd edition, yet I've always promoted that people should play the game for themselves. So, if anyone doesn't like the white arms, then don't do it.

Heck, want green camouflaged Racven Guard, do that. ^_^

Near as I can figure, it is simply something to break up all the black on the gaming table.

Older Raven Guard were difficult to distinguish from Iron Hands. White arms on the Veterans helps to tell them apart a little easier. 

As far as stealthiness goes, perhaps the theory is any Raven Guard that makes it to Veteran status is good enough at being stealthy that it no longer matters what color his armor is. I mean, Imperial Fists Scouts manage to be stealthy wearing bright yellow. If they can do it, I imagine veterans of a chapter that specialize in stealth can do it with white arms.

I've never seen a fluff reason for it and personally I'm not fond of it. In my army veterans are marked with a single white shoulder pad with a black chapter badge. Squad leaders have a white face plate. Only Shrike has a full white helmet and arms. I think it looks pretty good.

There is a little bit in the extract from the upcoming Shrike novel by George Mann that may be of interest.

"Hirus had drawn them out, of course; the Adeptus Mechanicus who crafted their ebon armour had long ago disvovered how to make it light absorbent, rather than reflective, goving the Raven Guard the aspect of living, ghostly shadows and ensurimg that they were only ever seen when they wished to be."

This makes me think that the white is nothing more than a status symbol within the Chapter, and if the white does show a little more than the black when non-reflective, that their experience & skill with counter it.

• 1 year later...

Archived