Corvus Blackstars and compatibility with Rhino doors

IVIilitarus

I want to build Corvus Blackstars, but want them as part of my Space Marine chapter, not the Deathwatch. I do not want the comical amounts of Inquisition insignia on my Blackstars. This starts with the two doors on the front, which I hope to replace with Rhino doors. Then I'll have to do something about the giant inquisitorial sigil on the top as well. But first the doors. Before I buy, I need to know if Rhino doors would actually fit.

Would the first person to get their hands on a Corvus Blackstar and a Rhino kit (or have Rhino doors lying around) please tell me if the Rhino Doors fit on the Corvus Blackstar's front.

At a glance, the Rhino Doors and Corvus Blackstar doors have the same shape and design. Two hinges at the bottom, 3 polygonal teeth and 4 cut corners.

However, looking at the Corvus Blackstar sprue on the GW website shows that the Blackstar doors have a small protrusion for the two little lamps next to the doors. That protrusion can simply be cut off and re-attached. I'm mainly worried about the doors not fitting the Corvus Blackstar.

There is no hole in the hull where the front doors go onto the Blackstar - its simply a flat surface that you stick the 'door' onto.  From memory the Blackstar doors seemed bigger than a Rhino door, so it might look a little odd with Rhino doors on it.

Pretty sure the doors are wider on the Corvus.  A bit of plasticard or something like that will work to refit the doors, but it may look a bit naff without some serious sculpting work.

i wont have one this weekend up next week i will and ill let you know

My thanks!

I'll be picking one up this Saturday I can let ya know then.

Please do! Thank you!

Pretty sure the doors are wider on the Corvus.  A bit of plasticard or something like that will work to refit the doors, but it may look a bit naff without some serious sculpting work.

I'll know as soon as I get those measurements and I can start making a plan.

There is no hole in the hull where the front doors go onto the Blackstar - its simply a flat surface that you stick the 'door' onto.  From memory the Blackstar doors seemed bigger than a Rhino door, so it might look a little odd with Rhino doors on it.

I had a look and you're right. I also noticed that the Blackstar doors have a long protrusion underneath, like some kind of long hinge.

If the door size is a real hassle, you could shave the skull flat & plasticard a plate directly over the =][= symbol.

Add your chapter symbol of choice and ...viola!

sml_gallery_8429_8832_26896.png sml_gallery_8429_8832_30665.png

Here's a quick pic of the rhino doors and also a land raider door (GW has a separate sprue on their site).

sml_gallery_8429_8832_3108.png sml_gallery_8429_8832_28708.png

Sorry...

the rhino doors are a bit too small for a clean fit (definitely need to add a little plasticard)

the land raider doors are a bit too big...

Well played, GW. Well played...

FW planning any Corvus Blackstar door upgrades soon?

Sorry...

the rhino doors are a bit too small for a clean fit (definitely need to add a little plasticard)

the land raider doors are a bit too big...

Well played, GW. Well played...

FW planning any Corvus Blackstar door upgrades soon?

Ah crap.

Any other feedback from any other owners of rhino doors and a Corvus Blackstar?

Doesn't look that dire to me; the re-cut to fit some plasticard behind a Rhino door should be relatively painless and you have the perfect pattern to work from (the Corvus' stock doors).  That said, I have no idea why we're trying to door swap in the first place, as the doors it comes with are absolutely gorgeous.

Doesn't look that dire to me; the re-cut to fit some plasticard behind a Rhino door should be relatively painless and you have the perfect pattern to work from (the Corvus' stock doors).  That said, I have no idea why we're trying to door swap in the first place, as the doors it comes with are absolutely gorgeous.

I want to run Corvus Blackstars in my homebrew chapter in place of other models and don't want giant inquisition insignia everywhere.

The top plate will have the the big I unless you do some heavy duty cutting or plasticard work. In the RG forum is some work using liquid green stuff to fill in the =][=, but it is still very prominent across the ventral hull for my taste.

Well, darn.

I had just wanted to eliminate the heavy "bling" and hand paint some RT-era mottos like "Born to Kill" and "Smile as you go under" to depict the hard-bitten image I have of the Deathwatch.

guess I'll need to get out the sandpaper (which is a shame, because the bits are pretty).

Archived