Index Astartes - War Spears

Miyu

Toward the "which chapters can have successors" debate:

I always figured that chapters only listed the primary legion not because they got it from there, but because it is usually the only information that is relevant. It matters a lot that some chapter traces to a specific Primarch, but the exact method or steps of that tracing never seemed terribly important as far as I am concerned (in most cases).

I.e. a chapter founded from ultra successors would just consider themselves ultra successors, particularly since the admech seems to organize geneseed primarily by line, rather than specifically by chapter for other than testing reasons. Many chapters might not even know where their seed line came from, but it is easy enough to check which line it matches with.

I think another reason the older chapters are more likely to have successors is that choosing a founding chapter seems to do with the amount of geneseed that can be offered up by them, as well as the glory they may have accrued over their history. And I've always gathered that first and second founding chapters had most spare geneseed, even from before their separation and I wouldn't be surprised if later founding chapters provided genetithes to their forefathers if the need arose (much like the Imperial Fists in the Beast Arises and the Blood Angels in recent times (the thing with Rafen, and Shield of Baal)

Could this discussion be moved to the greater Liber Astartes or to the Liber Surgery? It's interesting for everyone, but shouldn't overtake Miyu's article :)

Eh, that bit of lore from Forgeworld is a bit wonky. In the Codex lore, only First and Second Founding Chapters are specifically described as their genes being isolated and forming distinct genetic lines. That in itself doesn't mean that this was not then also done for every other subsequently created Chapter of a later founding, but it is also described that more than half of all currently existing Chapters can trace their lineage back to the Ultramarines, "either directly or indirectly through one of the Second Founding Chapters". That does make it sound like every Chapter that is created is a successor either to a First or Second Founding Chapter.

This piece of lore is wonky too, because the list of Chapters sired by Ultramarines Legion is, in-universe, incomplete.

Edit: The War Spears could claim to be Iron Snakes descendant. After 10,000 years of history, nothing is certain.

~ NightrawenII

Could this discussion be moved to the greater Liber Astartes or to the Liber Surgery? It's interesting for everyone, but shouldn't overtake Miyu's article smile.png

For the time being, I advise that a new thread is created in the Liber with the intent to carry on any more of the discussion in-depth, if it is so desired. I will leave that as your prerogative, brothers. Any comments pertinent to Miyu's thread here should carry on as normal.

Something I recommend a little down the line is using the BBC Code to make headers. It's a small touch that adds quite a bit.

Uhm, make headers regarding? I am a little confused smile.png

Yes! Quite a bit actually, but always interested in hearing more.

I am revising the entire background, using the feedback from especially Lord Thørn. But do fire away if you have any ideas or questions :)

Archived