ART - Modelling the Brotherhood of the Lost

apologist

Iron Bear WIP

IMG_4556.JPG

...and he's a big chap. The Iron Bears are described as twenty to thirty centimetres taller than other marines, which caused a few wrinkles for me! I've ended up still using the same principle as I usually do for my marines (based on Terminators), but more built up.

IMG_4557.JPG

Edited by Apologist

Sooo, the big one is closed to finished. A few details to add. Some.melterbombs (normal grenades are too small^^) and some poor godslayers.and Gravestalkers beeing crushed by the bear himself.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/9/12/826682-Brotherhood%20Of%20The%20Lost%2C%20Daer%27dd%2C%20Lost%2C%20Primarch.jpg

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Haha. He plays a private match of bloodpowl with kawil and koschei where the marines are the ball^^.

I try to get as close as possible to draks painting although i will have a few things different like the gauntlets of ares and less armor in the crotch. So i will add more to the pads. Maybe you have an idea? Always happy to try a few things out

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

• 4 weeks later...

Phew, all finished. Pics tomorrow (once Redd has seen them first - only fair); but in the meantime, which Legion is next?

How about one of the Drowned Men or a Scion Hospitaller?

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

I still say we prioritise those without models. And there's plenty of room in the Insurrection for a hitherto unknown Scion Hospitalier to cause some ripples...

So my preference would be Scion ≥ Drowned Man ≥ Warrior of Peace ≥ Warbringer ≥ Predator ≥ Void Eagle ≥ Jackal

Thing is with the Scions is that the regulars, Depthstriders and Phantoms are all pretty singular. Damn, if I had the money, time and man-cave to answer the call of resin and plastic, I'd totally do a Scions army. Or dive straight into madness and build the Black Legion/Doom Bringers/Nemesis Legion/Dark Conquerors... I just can't find a combination of words that's properly satisfying. I feel it needs to be the Something Legion Edited by bluntblade

Oh this guy? He was mostly a proof of concept :P

The Red is literally just Blood for the Blood God and the White is a Pearlescent White I found from Liquitex who also have some clear paints with colored metallic flakes in them. 

Warpathman Dohmnall Sakima of the Iron Bears

IMG_4764.JPG

In terms of modelling, I went for a bare head with a neat beard (the plastic power armoured Librarian) then sculpted on some short hair. This gave the figure a slightly Nordic feel without stepping on Space Wolf imagery. I played around with this by using a relatively dark skintone and dark hair; which gave a good background for some warpaint.

With such a rich range of areas to draw from, it's easy for a figure to become over-complicated or too busy, and not work as a finished piece. He also had to read as a 'Space Marine', so I didn't want to cover him in bits and bobs. By keeping the silhouette clean, he doesn't read as an odd-coloured Space Wolf.

IMG_4723.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

Armament is a good way to introduce character; and 'power tomahawks' are mentioned in the background. I couldn't resist adding one, using the Justaerin weapon pack. This shot also details the Legion and Clan symbol – a bear's paw (top) surmounting a stylised deer's head.

IMG_4765.JPG

Hope you all like the result, and thanks to Redd for letting me have a go at making and painting an Iron Bear.