Are the Deathwatch models bigger than previous Space Marines

Thunder_god

I was working on my Vow last night, and I got to thinking that these new models were, well, bigger. Not true scale but definitely bigger.

So I did a quick comparison to one of my Space Wolves. Both are on a 32mm base do that is a non-factor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/wrnjr/9C7D8621-FCC4-4DAE-902C-754744D1E296_zps19mrwgla.jpg

Am I seeing things or are the models bigger? Is it the more upright stance?

Thanks for looking.

I've been working on my Sternguard too... mixing them up with the Kill Team boxes, and it immediately struck me. But I think a big part of it is through the ages Marines have always kind of been bent over, or leaning funny. Now the Kill Team guys are almost all in some form of motion, and definitely standing upgright. But otherwise, I noticed it too. Leg wise they seem a bit more filled out.

I feel like they are much bigger as well. It might be just the more standing narrow stances, or the extra equipment molded on, but it definitely feels noticeable. Will have to see how it stacks up as I intend to replace many of my sgts with deathwatch models.

Using the deathwatch as sgts would also help them stand out (sorry) from the rest of their squad for quick reference on the tabletop... especially if they're carrying weapons similar to the rank-and-file members of the squad.

Just shoot the big ones!

If you break it down the Deathwatch are a touch bigger, but the main thing that creates an impression of disparity is the straighter legs, increased height on the connection point between legs and torso (trim it down a bit) and hilariously high collar.

hilariously high collar.

You don't like Mk VIII? I think it's pretty cool . . . unsure.png

But yeah, this has come up a couple times. It does seem like the new DW Veterans are somewhat larger than older marine models, especially those from the early 2000s. I think my plan will be to model them up as Sergeants, Black Shields et al. "important" marines (as Nuclear Fridge said), though I think it's fine to have a bit of height variation in models as there is obviously going to be some disparity between space marines physically, regardless of genetic engineering and organ implantation. happy.png

hilariously high collar.

You don't like Mk VIII? I think it's pretty cool . . . unsure.png

Oh no I like Mk VIII but I much prefer the versions that came in the recent Dev, Stern, and Tac boxes (and the old Tacticals). They don't feel as tall or as broad and don't need special helmets with smushed noses. There's also the one BT torso, the GK torsos, the command squad company champion and Sevrin Loth Honour Guard; though as those are gorgets I'm not sure they count as Mk. VIII

I'll stil use the 5 I've acquired, but I wish they were more similar to previous designs.

It does seem like the new DW Veterans are somewhat larger than older marine models, especially those from the early 2000s.

But the issue is, they tower over all marines, even last year kits. Though, it would be unfair to say DW started the trend, new mk VII marines in Start Painting set are visibly taller too:

http://i.imgur.com/zTdFmlo.jpg

They have no collars, body is one solid piece (no waist connector), legs are bent, so none of the excuses for DW work in their case - GW really started making bigger marines for some reason they never bothered to explain to anyone...

I wouldnt get too excited, its just one kit affected.

The rest of the marine range has only been recently updated, only 3 years ago that the current Tactical squad, Sternguard and Vanguard came out.  Just over a year for the Assault and Devastator squads.  I wouldnt expect them to be redone again for another 10 years or thereabouts. 

The previous marine kits were around for 15 years or more before the tac squad redo, with some parts still present now in the Captain, Command squad and Space Wolf kits!

As for the the starter marine pictured there, I think they are taller because of the way their feet molded on the base connect to the legs.  I dont think their legs, joints and torso plates are taller like the Deathwatch.

Archived