Converting stalker pattern bolt guns

henrywalker

I don't have any photos, as I don't currently have access to them (all packed away some where after coming back from uni), but I took the scope and silencer off the SM Scout Bolt Pistols to make Scouts with Silenced/Scoped Boltguns that could work - although obviously on the Deathwatch or other SM Boltguns rather than Scouts - I think they look pretty cool.

Looking at the specific bit all you need are some spare scopes and bolters/Sternguard bolters and some correctly sized styrene tube to replace the barrel.

Technically you also need some strip sheet styrene, as the "silencer" on the Stalker Pattern Bolters have four square-shaped nubs on the edge that connects to the Bolter's barrel.

DO NOT PANIC. I HAVE YOU COVERED. I DID THE STALKER BOLTER CONVERSION LITERALLY LIKE TWO DAYS AGO.

All you need are the little separate scopes that come with the Tactical Squad kit and Evergreen 224 1/8"/32mm styrene tubing. And ruler, side cutter, toothpicks, pliers and a permanent marker. Oh and a pin vise with a 1.5mm and 2mm drill bit. You should have most of these lying around somewhere except for maybe the Evergreen 224 and the scopes. The scopes you get from the tactical squad kit or can buy from 3rd party sites like Anvil Industries. The Evergreen 224 is readily found online or in train hobby stores. If you have some kind of electric saw or cutter, then you can just skip the toothpick, side cutters and pliers and make things much simpler.

Also do remember that if you're ULTRA insistent on WYSIWYG, the standard Sternguard kit does NOT come with Stalker Pattern Bolters. Those are just fancier boltguns with scopes and straps. A Stalker Patter Bolter is defined by its combination of being scoped and having a large noise/flash suppressor mounted on the front. This is the 'stalker' part of not being seen when you shoot at things. The scope is only the precision part. You need both to be precise and hard to see.

1. Measure out the length of barrel you want and mark the length on the tubing with the marker.

2. Shove your toothpick into the hole in the tube. Smack it with your cutters to get it a bit deeper if you want. The reason we do this is if you simply cut into the tube with sidecutters, you pinch the end you cut shut and have to re-open it and it'll be cracked and it'll look bad. The toothpick helps hold the shape.

3. Do not cut all the way through, but score a reasonably deep cut around the tubing with the toothpick inside it.

4. When it's deep enough, pull the toothpick out and snap it off with your pliers.

5. Sand as necessary.

6. Now use your drill and a hobby knife to widen the whole you've made.

7. When the hole is wide enough, you can simply shove it onto the muzzle of a bolter. It holds on its own. No glue or cutting the muzzle off necessary.

8. Stick the scope on top.

You can skip steps 2-4 if you have some kind of electric cutter or you're good with a knife.

Great things about this conversion:

1. It looks like the real thing basically.

2. You get to decide on the length of the barrel.

3. You can skip drilling your bolters because the tubing is hollow.

4. It's cheap and mostly uses things you already have lying around.

Cons about this conversion:

1. It's a pain in the ass to do it for 10 marines using the toothpick-pliers-sidecutter method (this is what I did). If you have a good sharp knife or a saw or cutter, you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

Results below:

http://i.imgur.com/kIxaejA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XhzNZV5.jpg

Here's a write up of how I converted mine - a bit more labour intensive and requires more parts than IVIillitarus version:

Required items:
- Deathwatch bolter
- Sheet styrene/plasticard - .25mm thick
- Styrene rod/plastirod - 3mm diameter
- Styrene rod/plastirod - 2mm x square
- Space Marine Scout sniper scope

- Greenstuff (optional)

Method:

1- Take the Deathwatch bolter and tidy up mould lines, etc.
2 - Remove the scope.
3 - Cut the front end of the bolter off - in line with the raised part of the bolter which has the two boxes (difficult to explain, see the completed image below.) Keep hold of this as you'll need it.
4 - Cut 2 pieces of your square rod styrene - this is to extend the length of the bolter. In the completed photo the extension is roughly 2mm. You'll need to file down one of the sides to make it sit flush with the sides of the bolter and the top. Cut longer and file down is your best bet here.
5 - Cut a section of your styrene tube - 4mm in length.
6 - Cut the front end of the bolter barrel off - in line with the protrusions at the front of the bolter, just above the barrel. Feel free to glue on the styrene tube during this step or after.
7 - On your 0.25mm sheet of plasticard, measure out a striproughly .5mm wide and make it as long as you want. Cut this into 2mm strips and glue them onto the barrel for the decoration/gubbins - use the plastic stalker bolter here for reference or the image below.
8 - if you've damaged the top of the bolter (like I have), use a couple of strips to repair the rail along the sight. Greenstuff is also an option, as I've used on the bottom rail.
9 - Cut into the top of the bolter - above teh boxes that protrude from the side - using the scout sniper scope as a reference for width/depth required. Glue the scope in.

If these instructions are worth a damn, you should end up with something like this:

Hope this helps!

3 - Cut the front end of the bolter off - in line with the raised part of the bolter which has the two boxes (difficult to explain, see the completed image below.) Keep hold of this as you'll need it.

FYI, in-universe the "two boxes" are "shot selectors" - they're what allow the Deathwatch Marines to switch between their different types of ammunition.

Also, sweet conversion and tutorial smile.png

I'd imagine Scout sniper rifles would work well.  Just clip off the silencer bit and glue it to a bolter (along with a scope, of course).

I've done it before but it looks a little odd. The Silenced Scout pistols would look the best IMHO.

Shown on a B@C bolter

hmm used the grey knight back pack thing on the normal boltgun from vet box, looks ok, shame its not a bit wider like the legit silencer

Personally I prefer the sleaker look of some conversions than the official model. The barrel isn't really extended and it's too bulky for my taste.

I'd imagine Scout sniper rifles would work well. Just clip off the silencer bit and glue it to a bolter (along with a scope, of course).

I've done it before but it looks a little odd. The Silenced Scout pistols would look the best IMHO.

Shown on a B@C bolter

Yeah, I'd definitely cut down the barrel about halfway. That does look a little wonky. blink.png

• 2 weeks later...
I came up with a conversion last night. If you clip the heads off the smoke launcher bit for vehicles and shave it flat, it fits perfectly on the bolter once you clip off the tip on the bolter. It looks a little large but it is an elongated barrel and looks very much like the stalker bolter. Ill post pics when I have a nice day to take them.

I think the way to go is GK backpacks, just use the knobbly bits from the top of the packs:

gallery_25187_12379_784358.jpg

Only challenge is keeping your cuts square.

Not quite finished building the models but I'm happy how they are looking:

gallery_25187_12379_454756.jpg

gallery_25187_12379_386993.jpg

gallery_25187_12379_157911.jpg

gallery_25187_12379_405689.jpg

gallery_25187_12379_211060.jpg

Awesome great job! Bonus points for drilling out the gun barrel. I think this is the best part of Deathwatch: customizing every guy! Plus you can steal any space marine model, put a deathwatch shoulder pad on it and BOOM Deathwatch! That blood angels librarian in terminator armor is looking pretty good.....

Archived