Possible New AM Update

M@verik115

Me too. 
I took part in both the original 13th black crusade and the fall of medusa V global campaigns. 
Those were probably some of the highest points of my hobby experience and these younglings dont know what they are missing... yet ;) 

With the absolute flop of the Cadian Battle Group rules, I sincerely hope this is something good. 
All campaigns so far have released new rules and formations for the belligerents at hand.

This one will feature the Astra Militarum and a little bird tells me we can expect to be updated a bit before 8th drops next year. 

I'm going to stay hopeful that we'll get a bone thrown to us at some point - everyone else has, it seems. I absolutely love the Regimental Standard but I also feel it is more of an in-universe propaganda tool used to get us excited about new releases.

I just know that I'll be ordering one of the flashy Limited Editions when they come around happy.png!

Well the fluff of the Eye of Terror campaign was essentially retconed out of existance, prehaps this is a second try.

EoT really was one of the most fun things GW ever did. The concept they used of tracking war victories and sectors was really cool, though i remember it was a tad suspect (being "on your honor" to report victory/defeat). They should do another one and include a gamer tag ID in each codex.

I can't imagine a Black Crusade campaign without something for the good ole Imperial Guard. I have to think we'll get something thrown our way, especially because there seems to be a "Black Crusade series" or something of the like due to the black tags in the top right of the new Chaos *BLAM* book. That seems to suggest everyone involved will get some sort of expansion/update. (I hope)

I'd forgotten this site was a thing... I'm not sure if this means anything at all with regards to new things for the Guard?

Other than trying to cram in as many links to the GW store as they can it seems :confused:

Don't think website post means anything in my opinion either, seems more like a advert for the upcoming GW campaign. Hope I'm wrong would like some new toys for the guard.

Who knows - with 8th edition rumoured to be in development they may use this as an 'end times' piece to drive the narrative forward a bit.. chaos was never driven back into the eye so it would be easy enough to follow up with a second wave trying to capitalise on the gains of the first but keeping it all part of the 13th BC.

I'm just excited as my Finreht boys could do with a bit of chaos bashing - been fightin nothing but xenos for months :)

That said reckon Baz and 'Fish are on the money here and the link in the OP is just a bit of extra marketing for the chaos release

The Regimental Standard is just plain fun. Come on, a pictograph on how to defeat an Ork in hand-to-hand combat? Survival tips from Captain Catachan? The site is amazing.

I would not read too much into it terms of release augery. They tend to put out stuff on everything and it's just fun reading about how Imperial Guard propaganda works: "if you see this, report the offender and yourself to the Commissariat for reeducation." 

It will be curious how they do Guard with all this last-of-7th edition stuff. My guess is that they will either push for Cadian everything as a way to clear shelves before a product line refresh, or if they change it up with new stuff.

Let's take a look at the "board" for a moment, if you will:

Space Marines: everywhere

Orkz: pending

Eldar: pending...but do they need it?

Chaos SM; Traitor's Hate fresh off the presses

Chaos Daemons: Warzone Fenris and supposedly more to come in p2, 3, etc...

Tau: mini-update not too long ago

Tyranids: pending

Necrons: pending, but really, do they need anything?

Imperial Guard: Cadian Battle Group in same time frame as Tau, however, rumors (need to find the link) from a while ago said that they would be making an appearance as part of this flush of new material

AdMech: supposedly getting something in Traitor's Hate Act 2 or 3

Dark Eldar: pending

Sisters of Battle: take a wild guess on this one

Harlequins: vs Deathwatch box set (no new rules)

Blood Angels: supposedly getting something in Traitor's Hate Act 2 or 3

Space Wolves: Warzone Fenris

Dark Angels: Warzone Fenris p2?

Grey Knights: Warzone Fenris p3? 

I thought it mentioned something about Sisters!!!! and IG vs Tyranids.....but that was basically Shield of Baal: Leviathan, so I am doubtful about that, though a box set of Guard vs 'Nids would be amazing for the value alone (hordes everywhere!)

I am curious to see something like a supplement of IG vs Orkz or IG vs Dark Eldar. Something interesting. 

The Cadian battle group was utter rubbish. 
I was so happy that they got a decent fluffy rule set, until I read the actual detachment composition and found out you need upwards of 150 guardsmen just to unlock it! 

I have a tad over 100 guardsmen and I am not painting up anymore any time soon. 

Now also imagine having to transport and even worse move those odd 150-200 guardsmen in every game?

We lost so much since 4th.... so much :( 
Then again so did my black templar...

The Cadian battle group was utter rubbish.

I was so happy that they got a decent fluffy rule set, until I read the actual detachment composition and found out you need upwards of 150 guardsmen just to unlock it!

I have a tad over 100 guardsmen and I am not painting up anymore any time soon.

Now also imagine having to transport and even worse move those odd 150-200 guardsmen in every game?

We lost so much since 4th.... so much sad.png

Then again so did my black templar...

Yea CBG was horrible. Some of the sub-Formations had potential...but the points cost for IG these days is SO out of line. For example, the Emperor's Wrath is like 575 minimum. It's an ok Formation but about 100pts (minimum) over priced for what it can do. If the CCS got their Chimera for free, then it would be B+ to A- territory.

And the other Core Formation basically can not make use of any of the Decurion bonuses at all. Strange.

As someone said (I think on FrontlineGaming.org): "the Cadian Battlegroup basically confirms my suspicion that GW has no idea how IG are supposed to work."

So, I would have liked to see the core formations in CBG work a bit differently. Maybe similarly to the way the demi company from C:SM. Free CCS (pay for upgrades) if you take three Emperor's Shield infantry platoons. That way the core formation could have remained cheap. Also the Fact that the vet formation was not a core formation, and the fact that it also came in at a heavy cost, was ridiculous, if you drooped the hellhound, it could be a good core.

The tank commander, while a good idea, is a case of "Good initiative, poor execution" as many an NCO I know would say. The TC's squadron should be optional.

Vehicles in a squadron should be counted as single units (allowing them to move and fire independently of the others, similar to the way platoon squads work). Now, the way you get people to play a traditional vehicle squadron is to offer bonuses when the units stick together.

Simple changes like these, taking advantage of Guard's ability to ignore FOC slot restrictions to field massive amounts of models, would also reduce competition for FOC slots.

Granted, it seems that GW is trying to move away from the traditional detachment and to these Decurion style unique detachments. The CBG was a bad detachment for a low powered codex, and that hurts us. We can't really field our best unit combos with the CBG.

I really need to figure out how I can become a codex writer for GW...

So, I would have liked to see the core formations in CBG work a bit differently. Maybe similarly to the way the demi company from C:SM. Free CCS (pay for upgrades) if you take three Emperor's Shield infantry platoons. That way the core formation could have remained cheap. Also the Fact that the vet formation was not a core formation, and the fact that it also came in at a heavy cost, was ridiculous, if you drooped the hellhound, it could be a good core.

The tank commander, while a good idea, is a case of "Good initiative, poor execution" as many an NCO I know would say. The TC's squadron should be optional.

Vehicles in a squadron should be counted as single units (allowing them to move and fire independently of the others, similar to the way platoon squads work). Now, the way you get people to play a traditional vehicle squadron is to offer bonuses when the units stick together.

Simple changes like these, taking advantage of Guard's ability to ignore FOC slot restrictions to field massive amounts of models, would also reduce competition for FOC slots.

Granted, it seems that GW is trying to move away from the traditional detachment and to these Decurion style unique detachments. The CBG was a bad detachment for a low powered codex, and that hurts us. We can't really field our best unit combos with the CBG.

I really need to figure out how I can become a codex writer for GW...

Ulrik: you have been granted an imaginary license to write a Supplement's Decurion for the IG. What kinds of things can we expect to see in there?

Ulrik: you have been granted an imaginary license to write a Supplement's Decurion for the IG. What kinds of things can we expect to see in there?

The formations need some tweaking, but as they are are mostly decent.

The Emperor's Shield platoon would be a core choice, also, The wording would be changed so that you had to have 5 squads of any kind (5 infantry; or 3 infantry and 2 heavy weapons; 3 infantry and 2 Special weapons; or any legal combination of 5 squads). The Infantry company would not be a formation, Rather if you take three of the Emperor's shield platoons you have an Infantry company, and you get bonuses for that, like a free Company Command squad (pay for upgrades). And it would gain the infantry company's current bonuses. Additionally, the ES platoons would have Obsec. Because why have that many guardsmen without it?

The Emperor's Blade would drop the required hellhound, and offer the choice of hellhounds or armored sentinels or nothing. I like sentinels and I find them useful, but I wouldn't make players take them. It would keep it's rules, as I think those are pretty decent.

The Emperor's Wrath, would dispense with the required chimera for the CCS, and would open up to all the FW options for artillery, like the platforms. I would also make the manticore or deathstrike optional, since there is no reason to force players to take something like that if they don't feel they need it. But it remains their only option to get it in the Decurion.

Emperor's Fury, would stay unchanged.

Emperor's Fist, would drop to a Tank Commander (I'd want to rewrite the codex entry for this one, so the TC doesn't need to take a squadron) and 2 squadrons of leman russes, plus an engineseer, with a third LR Squadron optional.

Emperor's Spear, Would open up to Vultures.

Imperial Navy Support, would encompass Marauders, Thunderbolts, Lightnings, and Avengers. Rolled for as a squadron.

Hellrain Brigade, essentially what you think. Except, able to be bigger. It would consist of a Commissar, an MT command squad, and 1-3 Militarum Tempestus Scion squads. Additionally, the scion squads may "deploy from deep strike". Which is to say deep strike turn 1. This would be a third core option. The only restrictions is that the Command squad must take a taurox prime as a dedicated transport.

Now, there would be some basic rules that would need to be addressed. Squadrons would count their vehicles as separate units, with benefits for remaining in coherency. Also, some units would need to have their rules redone. The Militarum tempestus platoon, for instance would essentially be a mix of everything good about MT, and everything good about 5th ed stormies.

MT would have Stormie equipment and Special operations. Sgts, would just have the HSLG as standard wargear, and be able to trade their pistol and CCW for upgrades. They would also gain the vox casters, and be able to take orders, as well as have the 18" order range.

Most of the Changes GW made during the Switch from 5th ed Imperial Guard, to the 6th ed Astra Militarum illustrate that GW has no idea what it's doing with the faction. They've shoehorned us into a monobuild mentality (which is exacerbated by the fact that IG has never really been a top tier for tournament level play).

If you're interested, check out my 5th ed codex update project, which has a lot of the changes I discussed here.

Archived