Mastodon Heavy Assault Transport - Rules Clarification

osmosys

Read up on this beast I had a few questions.

It seems to support every single kind of dreadnought except Leviathan, and maybe not Deredeo? Although it does say Contemptor, so Deredeo should count too.

"The Mastodon can carry 40 models. It may also carry up to two Dreadnoughts of the following types in any combination: Space Marine Dreadnoughts, Ironclad Dreadnought, Space Marine Venerable Dreadnoughts, Chaplain Dreadnoughts, Blood Angels Furioso Dreadnoughts, Blood Angels Death Company Dreadnoughts, Blood Angels Librarian Dreadnoughts or Contemptor Dreadnoughts. Each Dreadnought counts as ten models respectively."

So the combinations are:

40 - Space Marines

30 - Space Marines X 1 Dreadnought

20 Space Marines X 2 Dreadnoughts

Although I'm still not sure about Terminators :/ ugh

1 Terminator = one space?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets//Mastodon-Rules.pdf

Thanks

Terminators are Bulky and this rule is described in the BRB.

As for the above, that PDF is the 40k rules. The 30k rules (and thus what can and cannot be carried) can be found in the latest 30k book.

For 30k you pretty much have it, but it can't carry Deredeo's.

The Mastodon can carry 40 models. It may also carry up to two Legion Dreadnoughts or Contemptor Dreadnoughts as part of its complement, each Dreadnought counting as ten models respectively.

As Jolemai said - Terminators count as 2 spaces as per the bulky rule.

The Mastodon can carry 40 models. It may also carry up to two Legion Dreadnoughts or Contemptor Dreadnoughts as part of its complement, each Dreadnought counting as ten models respectively.

That word. 'Also'. That's how arguments start. 

They could have just said 'The Mastodon can carry 40 models. It may carry up to two...', but no. The way this is written it looks like they're saying you can transport 40 and ALSO two Legion or Contemptor Dreads, which I'm almost completely certain is not supposed to be the case. Now someone's going to try and pull it on me because they're shifty and I can really argue against it because RAW, it's vague.

SIGH.

That word. 'Also'. That's how arguments start.

They could have just said 'The Mastodon can carry 40 models. It may carry up to two...', but no. The way this is written it looks like they're saying you can transport 40 and ALSO two Legion or Contemptor Dreads, which I'm almost completely certain is not supposed to be the case. Now someone's going to try and pull it on me because they're shifty and I can really argue against it because RAW, it's vague.

SIGH.

Not really, it says 'also' because transporting walkers inside a vehicle isn't standard. I wouldn't be surprised if the various drop pods mentioned 'also' under their transport capacity too.

It's 40 models and also 2 dreadnoughts, who each count as 10 models each.

It's just that the dreadnought space cannot be used for transporting normal models.

I'm afraid that's wrong Xenith, just as Ishagu says.

It's non-standard wording from FW but the "as part of it's complement" is what means it takes up the existing transport space.

Archived