Inquisition attachment with Grey Knights

SanovichKai

Hello,

I intend to put together an inquisition army (500-750pts) that can work solo (for small, non-competitive games) but also ally with Grey Knights. 

I'm relatively new to Warhammer 40k (started up with friends) and inquisition seems pretty difficult to understand composition wise (and models). 

I've seen some army lists, and I'd like a similar composition:

1x HQ with warband (8 acolytes bolters, 3 acolytes melta/plasma)

- chimera (not sure about upgrades)

#1(9 acolytes bolters, 3 acolytes melta/plasma)

- chimera 

#2(9 acolytes bolters, 3 acolytes melta/plasma)

- chimera

#3 (9 acolytes bolters, 3 acolytes melta/plasma)

- chimera 

I like this sort of composition, for mobility and ranged firepower. What are thoughts on removing one unit and replacing with a mix of psykers/mystics/servitors? Or maybe that is best with the HQ instead of acolytes? I'd love acro-flagellants for fluff! Any recommendations for models (or many models) to build acolytes? I'd like to deviate from normal cadian guard outfits. 

Also, I don't know the rules too well. I only play with my friends, but how do allies work in terms of point capturing matches? I've seen a lot about CADs not counting for that, etc.

Thanks for your input!  

Well, there's nothing wrong with the Inquisition list you've got there ... it's basically a cheaper version of the typical Imperial Guard "chimeltavets". Replacing one unit with psykers/mystics/servitors all depends on your intended use. Servitors have heavy weapons so they can't move-and-fire, so if you want mobility, they are not your best bet. Psykers are okay, they're nice and cheap. I like putting one psyker per acolyte squad for some extra firepower. Remember that the psychic phase is sperate from shooting, so they can "shoot" their psychic power out of the top hatch and it doesn't take away from your shooting from the acolytes.

I've also found adding a crusader to acolyte squads gives them much greater survivability once they are outside of their chimera. You'd be surprised how much shooting a single 3++ can soak up. And it's still pretty affordable.

Mystics are only worthwhile if you plan on using deepstrikers since there is no scatter if your deep strikers land within 6". Could be useful with Grey Knights.

As for Arco Flagellants ... I wish they were better. For the same cost, sadly, Death Cult Assassins are a lot better. If the Arcos had the same stats and price as Sisters of Battle Arco Flagellants they would be better but DCA are probably still superior because they are just so darn good. These are fitting for a close-combat squad of course which you usually want to have inside a Land Raider so they can assault. If you have spare points, though, having one hidden inside a squad like the ones you have listed could make your acolye squads a bit of a threat in close combat.

As for models ... well, your imagination is the limit, really. If you want plastic, the only plastic "regular" humans are really just Cadians and Catachans. I have seen some people use Space Marine scouts, they are about the same size. Kit-bashing is probably the way to go for a unique look. Mix-and-match bitz from Cadians/Catchans/Scouts with WFB boxes was always a great way to go. I haven't been following the discontinuations of WFB kits though so I don't know what's left of the Empire and Bretonnia lines but those were usually the way to go. Try searching this forum and you should see some examples of interesting kit bashes.

I had a look at GW's site ... if you look under "Free Peoples" there still seems to be a fair number of old Empire kits available. Bretonnia seems to be gone gone. :(

But you could make a pretty nifty renaissance  clockpunk/steampunk look with the Empire stuff. You could also kitbash that stuff with Mechanicum models, that might work even better since mechanicum models are already pretty speampunk-ish. You can get scout bolters pretty easy from bitz dealers.

Thanks for the feedback! 

I'll look into those options for appearance. I suppose I'll need to find bitz as a whole, but empire parts with guard could help. Also, scouts is what I was thinking about for bolters.

I'm sort of in between. I like the idea of bolters on acolytes (if I'm not mistaken, per acolyte is the same cost as a guardsman but with bolter over lasgun?). I'll have most my GKs in combat, so improved ranged appeals to me. The addition of a single DCA or Crusader in a group is interesting too. 

If I were to include servitors, maybe I'd do so with the HQ group. 

Any experience with acolytes just as base loadout (laspistol + chainsword)? I'd assume adding a crusader and some DCAs into the back would work well. As a detachment, I would prefer numbers cause GKs pts/model make them a smaller army. 

Any experience with acolytes just as base loadout (laspistol + chainsword)? I'd assume adding a crusader and some DCAs into the back would work well. As a detachment, I would prefer numbers cause GKs pts/model make them a smaller army. 

Yeah, I use stock laspistol/chainsword acolytes in my close-combat warband just to add some more models/wounds. As one might expect, they get cut down like grass and they don't really offer much. But at the price, they're pretty decent bullet-catchers/cannon fodder.

I would also recommend old Necromunda models where ever you can find them, and actually I would also recommend repurposing Chaos Cultists and Genestealer Cultist models.  You can kit bash a lot with Cadian and Catachan guardsmen mixed in with say, Space Marine Scout bits or Kasrkin.  In short, let your imagination roam.  I'm working on a kitbash with a Tau Pathfinder pewter I hacked the weapon off of and a bolter with a few other bits as an example.  I also have a Squat Plasma gunner that I added an axe on his back, and found a 3rd party mowhawk helmet bit to make him into a space-Slayer.

Archived