The Word of the Silent King

Jim Shady

So I'm reading one or two of the stories from the Shield of Baal series and there's this paragraph that pops up in TWotSK, which is interesting.

It is curious what the humans choose to know of their past, and what remains unremembered. They do

not heed the lessons that they have already learned, because they often elect to forget them. Perhaps, had
he not fallen to illogical and prideful infighting, their Sanguinius-Angel might have steered them towards a
more enlightened destiny.
Certainly, he would have made a more amenable emperor than a preserved witch-corpse.
If ever there were a human to be mourned, noble Szarekh would say that it was him. That alliance – the
first alliance, perhaps? – might have ended the threat of the Devourer before it ever surfaced. At least, the
tyranids might never have been drawn to this galaxy in the first instance.
Like the humans, the Silent King was blind to this possibility at the time.
But unlike the humans, he is humble enough to learn from his own mistakes. The High Chronomancer’s
temporal mastery merely afforded him the insight that he required, and the opportunity to prepare a new

truth for them.

Not quite as it then goes on to say...

Through gritted teeth, Dante cursed.

‘Your Silent King had best learn to speak, and explain to me why he insults us with this… this…
mockery of our Lord Sanguinius. It is a travesty, and I shall not suffer it! If he thinks to make his demands
more pleasant by skinning them in the face of our holy founder–’
‘This is not so, Dante of the Blood Angels,’ said the herald. ‘Mighty Szarekh, last and greatest of the
Silent Kings, honours your angel-father and the accord that we wished to strike with him in ages past.’
Numbness spread through my chest at these words. Even Dante twitched.
‘That is a lie,’ he murmured. ‘Our gene-sire would never have treated with xenos filth.’
‘The Silent King cannot lie, Dante of the Blood Angels, for he does not speak. He will not speak. Not to
you. But your angel-father would have seen the wisdom in this alliance, and we hope that you will also.
The tyranids are coming, whether you or we choose to remain, or not. The conflict between us was an
error. Our success has already been calculated.’

I bet this will factor into the Horus Heresy before long. We know the Pharos is what draws the eyes of the Great Devourer in the first place, and that it is of Xenos origin. It is still somewhat functional on a lower level, and I'd be surprised if the Silent King didn't show up and maybe turns out to be what speeds Sanguinius towards Terra.

Keep in mind this was written by Laurie Goulding, the main editor and lore guru for the Horus Heresy series. He knows what's going to happen years in advance.

I wonder if Pharos also disturbed the Silent King's self imposed exile but looking it up, it states in the Necron 5th ed that he returned to the galaxy in the 744.M41.

Slight retcon?

I also wonder at what the Necron's knew of the Big E and the Primarch's (The one's that were awake, at least).

Do I get it right that there were possibly Necs during the heresy? At least the silent king?

Or is it referring to the Pharos or just a trick to lure the 40k BAs into something?

Do I get it right that there were possibly Necs during the heresy? At least the silent king?

Or is it referring to the Pharos or just a trick to lure the 40k BAs into something?

The Silent King was in a self imposed exile in the galatic void. It's how he came to know about the 'Nids.

He might have secretly returned during the Heresy just before the BA go to Terra, in order to meet with Sanguinius but missed him as they made all speed for the Throne World.

The Triarch Praetorians never slept, so they, at least, were certainly awake and possibly active during the Heresy.

Similarly, any of the canoptek creatures would have been active if anyone was poking about in dormant tomb worlds.

What involvement, if any, they had: who can say? It's not been detailed, to the best of my knowledge.

Personally, I'd be happier seeing the Triarchs make overtures to various factions than the way the Eldrad's Special Guest Star appearances have been handled. (Which is to say: clunky and without much merit.)

Something says the Necrons first made contact during the Great Crusade or Horus Heresy (though if I remember they didn't know it was Necrons until much more recently).  Possibly the "Dark Millennium" part of the BRB?  I don't think I have ever read the Necron codex but I know I read that somewhere.  

The Triarch Praetorians never slept, so they, at least, were certainly awake and possibly active during the Heresy.

Similarly, any of the canoptek creatures would have been active if anyone was poking about in dormant tomb worlds.

What involvement, if any, they had: who can say? It's not been detailed, to the best of my knowledge.

Personally, I'd be happier seeing the Triarchs make overtures to various factions than the way the Eldrad's Special Guest Star appearances have been handled. (Which is to say: clunky and without much merit.)

Exactly my thoughts

So I'm reading one or two of the stories from the Shield of Baal series and there's this paragraph that pops up in TWotSK, which is interesting.

It is curious what the humans choose to know of their past, and what remains unremembered. They do

not heed the lessons that they have already learned, because they often elect to forget them. Perhaps, had
he not fallen to illogical and prideful infighting, their Sanguinius-Angel might have steered them towards a
Certainly, he would have made a more amenable emperor than a preserved witch-corpse.
If ever there were a human to be mourned, noble Szarekh would say that it was him. That alliance – the
first alliance, perhaps? – might have ended the threat of the Devourer before it ever surfaced. At least, the
But unlike the humans, he is humble enough to learn from his own mistakes. The High Chronomancer’s
temporal mastery merely afforded him the insight that he required, and the opportunity to prepare a new

truth for them.

Based on the last sentence, and my own reading session, I do believe the Silent King knows that Sanguinuis accepted the help from the other Necron via his High Chronomancer.

Remember how Orikan make sure his 'prediction' works? Sending his consciousness back to his body in the past. The Triarch High Chronomancer probably did the same to witness who cooperated with the Angel.

truth for them.

Based on the last sentence, and my own reading session, I do believe the Silent King knows that Sanguinuis accepted the help from the other Necron via his High Chronomancer.

Remember how Orikan make sure his 'prediction' works? Sending his consciousness back to his body in the past. The Triarch High Chronomancer probably did the same to witness who cooperated with the Angel.

Very constructive and good theory

Archived