Getting Started with RG (phobos dudes and better photos)

SanguinaryGuardsman

The army... 95% done.

3jwWKYX.jpg

Company Support.  The Reclusiam is here to address any concerns you might have about your "purity".  No topic is taboo!

LG0MxnN.jpg

Big guns never tire!  These guys always do the majority of the damage in my games.  Sometimes it is truely spectacular!  My damage rolls with my lascannons are way above expectation in 8th.  Regression to the mean is going to suck. :(

1gDznI4.jpg

The 5% of unfinished... Mostly vanguard vets.  For some reason I really hate painting jump pack marines.  I also ran out of astrogranite and my FLGS didnt have any... hence all the unbased stuff.  Good enough for the tabletop!  I've yet to play a game in 8th with models that fail to meet a 3 color standard and hope to maintain this until 9th edition.  

sCedFPs.jpg

The big boys.  This land raider has been a complete boss in all my games.  In my only game against guard the beast went on a guardsmen shredding rampage with shrike granting rerolls on the hurricane bolters.  I plowed through well over 60 guardsman and survived to the end of the game.  The only game where the LRC didnt do well he still dished out massive punishment by exploding in my backline on turn 1 and killing about 500 points of models including Shrike. :<  Wish I had that on camera.  

These Chaplains just dont see the tabletop in my games.  Space Marines just arent well suited for close combat which makes Chaplains pretty much useless.  A shame really.

I4oGy03.jpg

Chapter command... Shrike, a captain with storm bolter/teeth of terra, librarian with force sword, LT with a grav pistol and power fist.  My captain has been a huge star in my games so far.  He won me a game against alpha legion on the final turn by slaying the enemy warlord(not Alpharius, *SADFACE).  The teeth of terra combined with Champion of Humanity warlord trait is savage.  You hit on 2s rerolling 1s and wound on 2s vs T4 and do 2 damage per wound.  With might of heroes you can even punk a daemon prince in close combat.  Shrike is obviously great... he has also won me a game on the final turn by charging 5 scouts holding an objective and shredding all 5 to take the objective.. a 6 point swing.  My LT hasnt had any epic highlight, just an endless string of rerolled 1s to wound that has certainly turned defeats into victories.  An unsung hero.   

54ObRK7.jpg

The 1st Company.  Sadly they are seeing less and less playing time because terminators and vets arent that point efficient.  I sneak them in whenever possible.  The terminators are completely underwhelming and never kill more than they cost and dont really absord enough firepower to be a good distraction.  The vets have done well just not for their cost.  When they shoot with rerolls, things die, horribly.  My melta vets have got to liquify an enemy captain... he took 5 wounds within melta range and I rolled the damage dice just for fun: 22!  The plasma vets just do consistent damage with rerolls... nothing really spectacular just super reliable damage.  

BHUXdFj.jpg

So I'm basically done with this army for the foreseeable future.  I have to finish my plasma/power axe vanguard vets and I have 5 grey scouts to paint but then im done for about 6 months or so.  I have 2 other armies in the works.  One of them is secret and the other is a Slaneesh/Tzeentch flavoured chaos renegades army.  The core of my chaos renegades will be 30 possessed marines and 2 daemon princes.  They will just run at the enemy in a mindless straight line attempt to rip their face off.  I might add some rhinos if the possessed get blasted too easily.  I may also go full competitive and make it a chaos soup army with the changling and alpha legion possessed that are -2 to hit and start the game 15 inches away from the enemy lines! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1PYp-fsZOA 

I just popped in and haven't looked at the whole thread but... THAT. BANNER. DROOL.

Is that freehand, a decal, something else? I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE.

I actually assembled the model from scratch using homemade plastic in a custom designed template. Then I mixed my own paints using pigments from various flowers in my backyard and mediums I made using my kid brothers chemistry set. The banner is of course 100% free hand. Oh.. those arent photos either. I painted a portrait of my army.

Ok im obviously messing with you. The banner is just vallejo paints and a few decals from the FW raven guard sheet. The model is a primaris ancient from the 8th edition starter set. I grabbed the model from ebay for like $3+ :cuss US shipping rates. Sorry but shipping rates out of the US mindnumbingly high. *RANT

Edited by Race Bannon

Nice army, I like the blue highlights and guns, really brings it all together

Are your captain and Lt just assault marines with extra bits?

To be honest I dont even know.  I had extra bits and needed more HQs and just grabbed stuff from my junk pile and from canabalized sprues.  I think the LTs powerfist is from the dev kit.  My captain's jump pack is a vanguard vet pack.  The rest... dont really know.  

One thing I learned when building an amry... the only bit then is ALWAYS in short supply is legs.  No kit comes with more legs than you need but comes with more of everything else.  I've bought 3 boxes of tacs, 1 box of devs, 3 boxes of assault marines, and a bunch of 3rd party and ebay bits which is what my army is made from.  The ebay stuff was mostly beaky helmets, spare arms, extra plasma.  The 3rd party bits were mostly legs, raven helmts, plasma guns, arms, and jump packs.  Actually... I dont think a single squad in this army is made out of 100% official GW kits.  

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

One thing I learned when building an amry... the only bit then is ALWAYS in short supply is legs.  

This is so true. I have enough bits to build another 10 man tac squad if I wanted but I don't have the legs for them.

I thinking of picking up a sternguard leg set and using those to make some LTs and captains.

One thing I learned when building an amry... the only bit then is ALWAYS in short supply is legs.  

This is so true. I have enough bits to build another 10 man tac squad if I wanted but I don't have the legs for them.

I thinking of picking up a sternguard leg set and using those to make some LTs and captains.

Good idea.... every space marine army accept maybe Ultramarines should have some cheap chainsword/stormbolter captains and LTs and a half dozen sergeants with various combi weapons.   

• 1 year later...

Yep, that gunmetal grey looks a lot better than the usual 100% black approach. For pictures - this one is fine, but you could try using daylight. Pretty much every camera, including really cheap phones, can work with that pretty well.

I was aiming for a "batman" style black with it being blue enough for someone to notice but still very dark.