Black Templar shoulder heraldry

Helias_Tancred

I try to stick to our established shoulder colors with rare exceptions.  Almost every Templar of my Crusade has one plastic Templar Upgrade shoulder and one with a variation of the heraldry unique to that one model.  Tis an arduous approach, but worthwhile. 

A related question is, how do you differentiate crusade squads if the shoulder heraldry is either the same on every model, or unique to every model?

Off the top of my head, I am thinking weapon casing colours might be a start. Knee pads perhaps? What is everyone else doing?

I usually have a designation for each Crusader Squad as they would have some sort of heraldry similar to the one incorporated by the Sword Brother that leads them... one of my Sword Brother has the personal heraldry of a sword on a white shield, then most of the Initiates would have a symbol somewhere on their armor of a similar design... or would carry a similar token... this is not to denote squad markings however, but more of a symbol of respect for the Veteran which leads and teaches them by example...

Yup we're pretty lax on that stuff. Still if you want to follow the book yes we do the chapter symbol on both shoulders. I mix it up some with veterans and HQ usually having a BT upgrade sprue on one side and a standard veteran "fancy" one on the other, but really go with what you like.

581ad1a52cbc1978528ba56d3fe48baf.jpg

Squad number on one knee is what they show in the book, but really whatever you want (if anything, I like to mix and match).

Before the 4th ed codex. Either in armageddon or in a white dwarf or black gobbo of that era there was a section on templar heraldry that said initiates often deviate their hereldry based on their own accomplishments.

The examples included using red, multiple crosses, inverted colors, litanies etc.

This was before the image posted in this thread ever saw light of day I beleive.

Often templars go to battle with their personal heldry upon their armour.

The shown page is from our codex, when some sort of army coeherncy was attempted by GW.

Still, my marines don't follow that pain scheme, they have some pieces that show they are part of the same crusade, but that's about it, I mix and match elements as I go, some squads have their own schemes because of shared honors and so on, its pretty much up to you. 

I follow the traditional heraldry with the exception that white cross on field of black is not just for chaplains, but Marshals and Castellans as well.

Regarding how I differentiate my squads, I don't. Basically they don't belong to any particular squad and I just pull out models I need as I go along. Feels more Templar that way ;)

Regarding how I differentiate my squads, I don't. Basically they don't belong to any particular squad and I just pull out models I need as I go along. Feels more Templar that way :wink:

This.  And as a practical excuse, something that always bothered me about painting models to fit in individual squads was how you would occasionally want to switch up a list to use different weapons.  Too much of a hassle really.  And like Ace alluded to, Templars are known for their ad hoc organization anyway. 

Just as some examples of personalized heraldry/Cross variants of mine:

gallery_38474_6916_133963.jpg
gallery_38474_6916_71157.jpg
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz201/Wills40k/Black%20Templars/IMG_2000.jpg
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz201/Wills40k/Black%20Templars/IMG_2207.jpg
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz201/Wills40k/Black%20Templars/IMG_2665.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz201/Wills40k/Black%20Templars/IMG_3078.jpg

Oddly enough, several of those are Photobucket from ages ago, but I don't have a $$$ subscription. :huh.:

Edited by Firepower

Brothers, I rarely speak, but I am a long time follower of this and most other BT related sites. Of course, when starting with BT, I thought the same way as most of you. A squad# here, some piece of heraldry there...

After countless battles and years, I can say, all what counts is your zeal and devotion. Wear our Cross with pride ( left or right shoulder or both... doesn't matter ) Squad markings are unneccessary as we are all brothers and we stand to aid each other as a whole chapter, not in artificially separated small squads.

One day we might fight as five brothers in a group, hours later we will find ourselves among a squad of up to 20 brothers and 

neophytes.

One day we use our holy Bolters, Bolt-Pistols and Chainswords, the other day might might grab the Missile-Launcher or the Plasma gun of a brother who had to leave the eternal crusade.

As we are all experts on most ways of fighting, we have no need for fancy artwork on our holy armour. Let the blood of our enemies paint our armour.

For me, there is one exception though :

our brothers in dreadnought armour have earned the right, to fully display all the battle honors they earned over the centuries.

They, along with our Priests, Champions , Castellans, Marshalls and our High-Marschall are the guiding lights of our Chapter in the darkness of this foul and xenophobic universe of today.

Let us not waste our precious time talking about such unimportant issues. Rather join the prayers , keep your weapons ready and bring fear to the hearts of our foes.

No Pity ! No Remorse ! No Fear !

I follow the traditional heraldry with the exception that white cross on field of black is not just for chaplains, but Marshals and Castellans as well.

Regarding how I differentiate my squads, I don't. Basically they don't belong to any particular squad and I just pull out models I need as I go along. Feels more Templar that way :wink:

This.  And as a practical excuse, something that always bothered me about painting models to fit in individual squads was how you would occasionally want to switch up a list to use different weapons.  Too much of a hassle really.  And like Ace alluded to, Templars are known for their ad hoc organization anyway. 

This is my reasoning as well.