Running a Corvus Blackstar

P3AKHOUR

Man I love this model.

From what I can see it can only be taken in the Deathwatch codex though.  As soon as I saw it I thought it'd be an awesome ride for an Inquisitorial allied detachment for my guard.  The idea of an Inquisitor and a retinue of inscrutable, black clad Inquisitorial stormtroopers in a Corvus rocking up at an inopportune moment and playing terry takeover (as inquisitors tend to do) appeals to me greatly. 

How would I realistically fit this into a legal army though?  I suppose I could model it with the rocket pods and a single lascannon in the nose and count it as a Valkyrie?  It looks about the same size.  Do you think the powers that be might release an FAQ to allow it to be included in an inquisition army?  I know that's a longshot but it just looks so right for that faction.

The easiest, but most expensive, option is to run the Corvus Dropship Wing Formation.  It consists of exactly three Corvus Blackstars and can be found on page 99 of Codex: Deathwatch.  As a Formation, it can be taken on its own without needing to include any Deathwatch Space Marine models in your Astra Militarum army.  The downside is that you need three of them.

Using Death from the Skies you can bring a flyer wing detachment.

If your opponent doesnt want to use the full rule set just ask to use the basic detachment outlined in the book.

It would also grant them obsec in hover. ;)

This way you only need 2

Technically there's nothing illegal about unbound either and just taking one.

TBH at this point in time with crazy formation bonuses people need to get over unbound.

@Capitano a hq, troop and blackstar sounds perfect, but would the HQ and troop need to be from the deathwatch codex without going unbound?  I don't personally have dramas with unbound but im not sure about the people I play with, we're a pretty inexperienced group, which means we're quite friendly and uncompetitive, but also suspicious of any complex list building shenanigans.

Yes, you would need to take the allied detachment from the Deathwatch codex. Probably what would give you the best bang for your buck would be a Librarian HQ, a 5 man veteran squad for troops, and the corvus.

As stated you could also use the Flyer wing, and just take 2 flyers for your army. Personally I like what deathwatch can bring to the table, so the allied detachment is probably the way I'd go, especially with the special issue ammunition, and the fact that you could just take stalker bolters on the veterans, take the shrouded relic on the libby, give the libby divination, and have twin linked heavy 2 snipers with special issue ammunition, just camped in your midfield, just taking potshots at whatever nasty thing wanders into their field of fire, it would also be an absolute nightmare for your opponent to deal with.

I can certainly understand why you would want to field this flyer, unfortunately, you'll need some supporting measures to ensure that you can use it most effectively. A skyshield landing pad would be the best, so you can start the flyer on the table, and then load whatever nasty thing you wanted to put in it. Then move it off the pad in the direction you want to go.

Preferred guard payload: Shield and maul bullgryns. I say this because to really get the most out of it, it needs to be transporting something, and it might was well take advantage of the assault transport rule it has...

I agree with Capitano and Ulrik, an allied force seems the easiest. Especially as you're thinking of using Inquisitorial elements, so adding some DW would fit the theme. You don't have to add loads of models for this either thanks to how the codex works, and they'd also make a great trouble shooting unit you could customise to help your Guard out smile.png

I agree with Capitano and Ulrik, an allied force seems the easiest. Especially as you're thinking of using Inquisitorial elements, so adding some DW would fit the theme. You don't have to add loads of models for this either thanks to how the codex works, and they'd also make a great trouble shooting unit you could customise to help your Guard out smile.png

Interesting, I had forgotten myself that with the Skyshield you would be able to load up an Allied Unit in Turn 1.

As long as you start the intended payload within embarkation range, and haven't moved the corvus, you can then take a 12" move. Then flat out in the shooting phase, to get in range of a charge target then your bullgryns can charge out and assault turn 2.

Using the Skyshield, this could be applied with other armies as well, though not as cheaply. Stormwolf and Stormraven come to mind, as does the Storm Eagle, but this is probably the best and cheapest option for getting that elusive assault transport that guard so desperately needs...

So it looks like:

A Blackstar, an HQ, a Troop is the same point cost as 2 Blackstars.

Wondering if it would be better to double up and use the 2nd Star just for fire support flying in Turn 2.

Problem with running a flyer wing, is that they operate as a squadron that can fire independently. They must be on the board at the same time, so you'd have to have them in reserves until turn 2 at least. That would relegate both of them to fire support, which would leave the transport capacity unused, and then you might as well just take a 2 Vultures for 25 points less each, and which have strafing run, and TL Punisher cannons. Not to mention those can be taken natively to guard, and would arguably be better options than the corvus.

I like the Blackstar so much, I will be adding a squadron of three to my Militarum army and I will be counting them as Valkyries. 

They are much better looking than Valkyries, have the same capacity for troops and with a few very minor modifications will be WYSIWYG ... so for me, it is a no brainer.

Add to that, they are much chunkier so would suit my Astra Militarum perfectly (because they are Squats :) ).

Problem with running a flyer wing, is that they operate as a squadron that can fire independently. They must be on the board at the same time, so you'd have to have them in reserves until turn 2 at least. That would relegate both of them to fire support, which would leave the transport capacity unused, and then you might as well just take a 2 Vultures for 25 points less each, and which have strafing run, and TL Punisher cannons. Not to mention those can be taken natively to guard, and would arguably be better options than the corvus.

Oh right, I forgot about the same time Deployment. Guess HQ & Troop it is.

IIRC in order to use them in the intended transport role you have to get a skyshield since you can't start the game in reserves embarked on a battle brother's transport.

We've hit that point already.

Hidden Content

I can certainly understand why you would want to field this flyer, unfortunately, you'll need some supporting measures to ensure that you can use it most effectively. A skyshield landing pad would be the best, so you can start the flyer on the table, and then load whatever nasty thing you wanted to put in it. Then move it off the pad in the direction you want to go.

Interesting, I had forgotten myself that with the Skyshield you would be able to load up an Allied Unit in Turn 1.

Oh right, I forgot about the same time Deployment. Guess HQ & Troop it is.

Yeah, it's a real pisser, but there it is. Still though, It's not a bad option at all, considering how awesome the Deathwatch troops are.

Archived