Echoes of Imperium

Izlude

Curious to see what people thought about this. It is my first audio (I have to admit the cover art got me!) aside from the Meduson LE which came with the two audios that I liked. Also got it more to put me over the threshold to get free shipping to the US since I got the hardback version of Shadows of Treachery (awesome by the way). In general I prefer to read the books. Some of my thoughts without spoilers:

CONTENTS
The Herald of Sanguinius by Andy Smillie

The voice acting was not bad actually. The Lion's voice was ehh...I think I have this preconception of what a Primarch should sound like which is not this but the other voices were pretty good. The story itself was okay, just was confused about the idea of why two of the guards have to draw straws. 

Stratagem by Nick Kyme

As a UM fanboy I really didn't like this short story which I already read...this audio made me hate it more. Guilliman's voice is awful and sounds like a 80 y/o decrepit ghoul. I guess my main beef was how surprised/shocked that Guilliman was about Thiel's red-marked thing. I always liked Thiel's sort of British thing going on, seems to fit well with him. 

The Watcher by C Z Dunn

I like the story itself alot. Space Wolves sent to watch over Cruze...not sure how that will end...I like the sound effects, story is good and Cruze's voice (brief) was good. The only thing that seemed off was that one of the main Space Wolf had such a strong Russian accent right out of Command and Conqueor. 

The Shadowmasters by Gav Thorpe

Didn't listen to was going to get Corex and read it all. 

How popular are these audios? Was just curious, these weren't bad but more of a book person anyways but I can see the appeal if your walking to work or traveling in a car. 

I'll just copy & paste what I put down on Goodreads when I added the release to the database:

Not exactly a stellar collection.
Nothing new, The Shadowmasters doesn't match the theme (and will be printed in Corax just a month later anyway), Stratagem and Herald of Sanguinius were part of Eye of Terra months ago, along with the stories that make them more relevant, and The Watcher was in The Silent War .

While yes, the audio productions were enjoyable (Guilliman's voice aside), there is no reason to pick this one up at this point. Chances are you already own them. What could have improved the situation? Adding The Heart of the Pharos, for example, as that has not been collected/in print/on CD yet, and directly ties into Pharos, and fits the theme of the collection (unlike Gav's story). A new story wouldn't have gone amiss either.

Compared to Echoes of Ruin, this one is weak and pointless, even though the individual stories are mostly good.

It has some neat ideas in there, but honestly, there's nothing groundbreaking about it. It's more about little tidbits which lead into other stories than anything all of its own. Should've been a two disc release including Heart of the Pharos and something new at least to make it worthwhile.

I'll just copy & paste what I put down on Goodreads when I added the release to the database:

Not exactly a stellar collection.

Nothing new, The Shadowmasters doesn't match the theme (and will be printed in Corax just a month later anyway), Stratagem and Herald of Sanguinius were part of Eye of Terra months ago, along with the stories that make them more relevant, and The Watcher was in The Silent War .

While yes, the audio productions were enjoyable (Guilliman's voice aside), there is no reason to pick this one up at this point. Chances are you already own them. What could have improved the situation? Adding The Heart of the Pharos, for example, as that has not been collected/in print/on CD yet, and directly ties into Pharos, and fits the theme of the collection (unlike Gav's story). A new story wouldn't have gone amiss either.

Compared to Echoes of Ruin, this one is weak and pointless, even though the individual stories are mostly good.

It has some neat ideas in there, but honestly, there's nothing groundbreaking about it. It's more about little tidbits which lead into other stories than anything all of its own. Should've been a two disc release including Heart of the Pharos and something new at least to make it worthwhile.

Totally agree with you, so strange biggrin.png

Archived