My army needs reinforcements

Gloomfoe

Vets in Chimeras is a good solid combo. I actually find that my sentinels do a ton of damage, and rarely see any retribution. I have yet for one of my sentinels to die. So I'd hardly say that sentinels are garbage. Though I run Armored Sentinels with plasma cannons. As for vets in chimeras, It's definitely my go to arrangement, but it's hardly the only viable way to run the army.

I made a gallery, but I cant embed cuz my phone/I'm a caveman. Ok, now Im gonna get a little fluffy:

My original idea was a sort of "martian winter" theme, then I was thinking of adding a penal colony. Or maybe a servitor processing center, where convicts go to become servitors, and servitors work until they're sent off to a master. But the more fluff I read the more it seemed that the adeptus mechanicus would handle that business.

Then I bought an Inquisitor and 10 empire flagellants (going to proxy as arcoflagellants. Because I've always loved the models and wanted to use them however I could) and that got me thinking maybe the Inquisitor has a private palace, or fortress/prison in the wilderness of mars. It seems a bit more likely that a high ranking Inquisitor would have that privilege, and maybe even the use of an Imperial Guard regiment.

Could the guard be hanging out on mars in a relatively secret fortress run by an Inquisitor who tortures heretics to the point that they become raving lunatics for the emperor? Is that more of a marine role? Would the Martians put up with it?

I doubt any inquisitor will be allowed to own residences on mars as mars is owned solely by the mechanicus. 
An inquisitor will surely be able to operate there, but as far as I know the imperium tries to piss off the martians as little as possible due to their strategic value. 
But as always you can write your own story. 
It is quite possible the inquisition operates from some unsuspecting apartments scattered around the hives without the mechanicus' knowledge nor approval. 

I'll second Maverick, since Mars is the sole domain of the Adeptus Mechanicus. As for your idea of a Guard regiment from Mars, you'd more likely be looking at skitarii. Though, it's possible. You might want to get some skitarii models and maybe use them as carapace vets. I'd also recommend getting some Militarum tempestus scions to add to the force to get that victorian era/steampunk look that the mechanicus has.

As for the Inquisitor, again, I'm with Mav, I doubt that an Inquisitor would be allowed to live on mars. Though he might be able to acquire the services of some of the Mechanicus's forces, especially if the Inquisitor was from the appropriate ordo.

Your fluff is not entirely possible as it stands, but there are enough workarounds to make something similar work. Then as Canadian says, the Galaxy's a big place, there have to be some mars look a likes.

In that vein, Mechanicus owned Forgeworlds often have their own standard PDF regiments, which are often times as well equipped as the guard, and being mechanicus aligned, might be as, or more, proficient as guard, due to some... enhancements?

Maybe this helps.

Archived