Repurposing grey knight shoulder pads

henrywalker

So as always my creative juices are flowing far too much and I'm finding myself wanting many more models for deathwatch than I thought. Power armour is not a problem as I've got loads of deathwatch shoulder pads for power armour however I am completely out of termie shoulder pads and I still have plenty of terminators I want to build.

I'm thinking of repurposing grey knight terminator shoulder pads as deathwatch shoulder pads

How do you guys think we can best go about doing that?

Here's what we have to work with:

http://megabitzshop.com/bilder/produkte/gross/Warhammer-40k-Bitz-Grey-Knight-Terminatoren-Schulterpanzer-I.jpg

I was going to do this, but to be honest it is the strong symbolism of the Librarius component of the Grey Knights that make me shy away from it. To be honest buy a box of Terminators and you get so many shoulder pads you'll be fine.

Well you get 6 shoulder pads and you've bought 5 additional termies. I've already got the termies so adding more doesn't really help.

I was thinking of using Insta-mold to take the =I= off the old style deathwatch termie pad, then trimming away the book and covering where it was with a mold of the =I=

However I can't find my damn insta-mold. When I find it I'll post the results

Well you get 6 shoulder pads and you've bought 5 additional termies. I've already got the termies so adding more doesn't really help.

I was thinking of using Insta-mold to take the =I= off the old style deathwatch termie pad, then trimming away the book and covering where it was with a mold of the =I=

However I can't find my damn insta-mold. When I find it I'll post the results

Sorry, I missunderstood as you needing more of the PA pads, not the other way around.

Yea, I see what you mean, and for myself I haven't needed -that- many Termies. I mean that Sally guy in Overkill is great (comes with Pad). Then I bought 2 Characters (that weren't Termies) and ended up with 4 more Termie pads from their box. I even bought a Razorkback and ended up with 2 more.

I think you'd have to be building a lot of Termies. ;)

I think you'd have to be building a lot of Termies. ;)

Let me give you an insight into the dumbass way my brain works.

"Wait you can have a squad of 5 termies with cyclone missile launchers?! That's so cool. And assault cannons too, FIVE ASSAULT CANNONS!! And if I have my promethium pipes down I could have 5 termies with torrent heavy flamers that would look so awesome."

On top of that I have 5 robed DA termies that feel like signing up for the Watch as an assaulty command termie squad and those power fists with meltas built in are too cool and too irritatingly easy to make out of chainfists.

So yeah.... :( a lot I probably won't do it all in the end but since I've got a lot of termies I never use in other armies that I don't mind stealing all that's holding me back is the pads

laugh.png ..yeah i feel this too, after my initial stuff of bikes and vets i'm looking at doing the assault cannon squad too (just for fun mind you rolleyes.gif )

if i recall there was a an old sprue from either a marine squad or was it the commander box?!? that had a termie DW style pad in it...

as Prot said i bought 2x boxes of vets, a commander and a chaplain clam pack and got about 6 pads from that...but i see you'll need much more than that eek.gif .

that casting idea seems to be your Best/cheapest option so far,let us know how it looks !

cheers mithril

http://www.bitsbay.it/pimages/Wh40k-SM-Terminator-Spallaccio-Deathwatch-big-4784-293.jpg

That's the one. I have a couple but I think it's more obviously different than just using a grey knight shoulder pad unmodified as it doesn't have the writing.

I'm actually wondering if the odd grey knight shoulder pad sprinkled in unmodded would actually be ok. Obviously I wouldn't paint the book. Just leave everything silver. If you look closely you'll notice but it might be ok.

If not, that shoulder pad above is where I was planning to take the mold from as the smooth surface will let me take it quite neatly. Also the =I= is nice and square and big so it will cover any sins.

I'm about to start digging for instant mold so with any luck I'll have something to show

So I couldn't find my insta-mold but I cheated a lot and i think the results are actually pretty good.

This one is simply a load of purity seals, works nicely on the space hulk termies i'm repurposing as they have lots of purity seals already.

gallery_59654_12365_529726.jpg

I swear this guy had a decent bit of rope sculpted to hold his parchemnt on and then I went and picked it up for the photo and wrecked it with my thumb. Never mind, i'll repost when i've fixed him

gallery_59654_12365_627416.jpg

This ones my favourite, it doesn't quite look right in the photo but the fur i've added over his shoulders does come down into the pelt and it all fits together quite nicely.

gallery_59654_12365_1211860.jpg

gallery_59654_12365_64421.jpg

This finally let me finish all 20 of my termies, If you want to see them, including full squads of heavy flamers, assault cannons, cyclone missile launchers and melta fists then check out my Deathwatch Plog

Archived