30K/HH WS Fluff and The Destroyers

Draakur

Hey folks, I posted this in the WS forum but just had a thought that this may, in fact, be the better place for it:

Hi all,

From what I can tell via a fair amount of research, the answer to this is "no", but I thought I should ask here... has there ever been any fluff regarding when the White Scars were broken down from their post-Heresy Legion into Chapters? Specifically, details on names of marines or the character/personality of various marines and where they went ("X kinds of marines were chosen for the Rampagers, while warriors that gravitated towards a Y mindset were split off into the Destroyers", etc etc).

I have close to zero knowledge of this side of GW fluff these days, and honestly just don't have the time to buy and read all the relevant source material.

Any knowledge or details would be highly appreciated :)

I'm no loremaster but I don't believe that point has been addressed. (Thw White Scars are very underrepresented outside of Chris' works.)

That being said, I believe BL plans to write about The Scouring once the Heresy Series is over, which could very well cover the splitting of the Vth legion.

Lovin the speedy reply, my thanks brother smile.png

Good to know! Has that been officially stated somewhere then, their imminent covering of the Scouring?

Piece of string this. It will 'happen' once they finish up the Horus Heresy series...whenever that finally happens. I expect (at least) another dozen books before that rolls up.

Lovin the speedy reply, my thanks brother smile.png

Good to know! Has that been officially stated somewhere then, their imminent covering of the Scouring?

Piece of string this. It will 'happen' once they finish up the Horus Heresy series...whenever that finally happens. I expect (at least) another dozen books before that rolls up.

Yep ok, fair enough. Appreciate the help gents :tu:

40k White Scars feature in Space Marine Battles quite frequently.

* The Hunt for Voldorius

* Damocles (Blood Oath & Hunter's Snare)

* Master of the Hunt (audio)

* The Shape of the Hunt (audio)

* Dante's Canyon (novella)

* Overfiend (Stormseer)

* Storm of Damocles

Hunter's Snare features a Dark Hunter who was sent as part of an Astartes exchange program or the likes to the White Scars, and of course there's Dark Hunters: The Blind King and Umbra Sumus.

I got that impression from my brief searching, yes. People generally seem to prefer Scars, of all those, for quality WS fluff it seems?

Scars and Path of Heaven are full novels, so they get read and recommended more. Brotherhood of the Storm is a novella and the other two are short stories. They're all by Chris Wraight and form a pretty coherent picture of the WS. Definitely all quality.

Everything by Chris Wraight on the WS is well-written

EDIT: The reading order should be...

1. Brotherhood of the Storm (Chondax, outbreak of Heresy)

2. Scars (legion schism between loyalist and pro-Horus WS)

3. Brotherhood of the Moon (exile of pro-Horus WS)

4. Grey Talon (post-exile story with Hibou Khan)

5. Little Horus (forgot about this one...subsequent post-exile story with Hibou Khan)

6. Path of Heaven (some exiles return to the legion and fulfill final purpose, the legion reaches the Sol system)

Everything by Chris Wraight on the WS is well-written

EDIT: The reading order should be...

1. Brotherhood of the Storm (Chondax, outbreak of Heresy)

2. Scars (legion schism between loyalist and pro-Horus WS)

3. Brotherhood of the Moon (exile of pro-Horus WS)

4. Grey Talon (post-exile story with Hibou Khan)

5. Little Horus (forgot about this one...subsequent post-exile story with Hibou Khan)

6. Path of Heaven (some exiles return to the legion and fulfill final purpose, the legion reaches the Sol system)

This is super handy, thank you!

I wouldn't be surprised if - and am hoping that - Shiban Khan becomes leader of a 2nd Founding Chapter, so maybe he'll form the Destroyers

Ooh, ok, now you've really got my attention. I'll be sorting out this reading list very soon now!

Other then Chris Wraight's 30K works

1. Brotherhood of the Storm

2. Scars

3. Path of Heaven

4. Grey Talon, Brotherhood of the Moon

Not much else about the WS or their history

WS 40k stuff is quite limited and shallow

you forget about Josh Reynolds works as Dark Chaplain mentioned and a lot of WS audios

I wouldn't be surprised if - and am hoping that - Shiban Khan becomes leader of a 2nd Founding Chapter, so maybe he'll form the Destroyers

Ooh, ok, now you've really got my attention. I'll be sorting out this reading list very soon now!

Shiban Khan becomes leader of a 2nd Founding Chapter, so maybe he'll form the Destroyers - not gonna happen

2. Scars

3. Path of Heaven

you forget about Josh Reynolds works as Dark Chaplain mentioned and a lot of WS audios

Shiban Khan becomes leader of a 2nd Founding Chapter, so maybe he'll form the Destroyers - not gonna happen
Without having a clue either way on my end, could you possibly explain why you think this is unlikely? Is the character you're referring to just not Chapter Master material?

I'm gonna preempt this and try and answer any argument that Shiban wouldn't be suitable by the time of the Scouring. During Path of Heaven he admittedly isn't, he's become fatalistic and holds massive grudges, even if they're quite understandable. By the end of the book, however, he's realised he seriously misjudged another character, and cast off the weight of his despair despite the people he's lost.

You forgot about 'Allegiance' by Chris Wraight .

Yes I did, thanks

2. Scars

3. Path of Heaven

Honestly, I think after reading Wraight's 30K WS, the 40K stuff strikes me as pretty weak in comparison

I did like that one script, with the WS librarian who refers to the RG as crows

2. Scars

3. Path of Heaven

Without having a clue either way on my end, could you possibly explain why you think this is unlikely? Is the character you're referring to just not Chapter Master material?

Exactly like bluntblade said. Plus he will probably not live up to scouring at all.

You forgot about 'Allegiance' by Chris Wraight .

Yes I did, thanks

2. Scars

3. Path of Heaven

Honestly, I think after reading Wraight's 30K WS, the 40K stuff strikes me as pretty weak in comparison

I did like that one script, with the WS librarian who refers to the RG as crows

They are good stories as for a W40K Scars. In 30k WS are quite different - and they are lucky enough to have Chris Wraight writing them. They could have had a Kyme of Thorpe writing them and would have been added to the list of sacrifices like Salamanders and Raven Guard biggrin.png

Archived