A Skjald's Tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

Thanks a lot guys! The green stuff is curating right now so he'll be ready for paint soon.

This thread is fantastic - excellent melding of bits. 

Which head did you use for your Lord Bulveye? I see that it's a Forgeworld head but I'm not sure. Is it Loken?

Hahaha that's quite the eyesight you have there. Indeed it's Loken's. I decided to use Loken's head for my Lord Bulveye/ Ragnar Lothbrok and Abaddon's for Hvarl Red Blade/ Rollo Lothbrok to enhance the feeling of rivalry between brothers.

Looking pretty swish there mate, I didn't spot it on 30k till just now.

I really like the notion of the wolf pelt on the shoulders, would a resin Njal or Ragnar make a suitable donor or press mould?! I agree the plastic one didn't really cut it. I just think this guy needs something more!

DSC 0550

I used the Grimnar pelt on my praetor. In this case it adds height as i messed up when incorporating tartaros legs and he ended up a little stumpy. It's probably the best pelt available in plastic at least so i vote for that one.

EDIT: Better still if you can graft it to the Abaddon Torso you had planned to use.

I used the Grimnar pelt on my praetor. In this case it adds height as i messed up when incorporating tartaros legs and he ended up a little stumpy. It's probably the best pelt available in plastic at least so i vote for that one.

EDIT: Better still if you can graft it to the Abaddon Torso you had planned to use.

When I stood out of bed at 1:30 am that might have been the thought that was keeping me awake. A lot of sawing, blading, cutting and greenstuffing was involved for sure.

Thank you so much guys :smile.: Hope you like the final version since after yesterday's delirium tremens it's pretty much irreversible.

I love it! Were is that head from btw?

I may end up blowing alot of cash so i can recreate your awesome conversion!

So the head is a modification of three elements: Abaddon's FW head as a base with the hair from the plastic upgrade kit for SW grafted onto his skull and some green stuffed beard. Might be easier to see in the picture below before it was primed. I was trying to recreate Rollo from Vikings lol.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/26992FEE-A620-4B49-B20C-173F82A63F54_zps2acjvetv.jpg

Ok so went mildly ballistic and I wrecked Abaddon and Grimnar's miniatures to make a new creation:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/59B42F3B-9961-44C5-B5B0-53D45BC0316D_zpshtvfwhop.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/8248A7CD-C9B2-4DF9-B8E9-0D0F55AF3E2A_zpsjslhrbak.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/61EAA41E-5308-4C96-B918-457A47723E90_zps2wmvbqhi.jpg

Still the final touch of greenstuff needs to be done to integrate pelt and armor 100%. Some parts that don't look smooth are like that because green stuff has been applied in several layers and consistency but it's soft to the touch so it will look smooth after primer.

Head is out of the picture because I changed the hair to flow to the right with the rest of the mini. Will prime it and show it assembled next week :)

This way I keep the chest plate of Abaddon with the pelt of Grimnar and the normal terminator torso base so it meshes in with my tartaros honor guard upgraded with the FW indomitus torsos.

EDIT: The right arm is magnetised to be able to run him as Hvarl or a centurion / squad leader.

On a side note, I really like that praetor Quin! It looks fab with regular tartaros legs. Are you also going to build a command squad in Tartaros with the FW upgrade kit?

I suppose I'm going to have to, I prefer Cataphractii but the Varagyr will satisfy those needs so will be looking at my unbuilt Tartaros sprues soon. Probably won't use the Forge Wold Indomitus upgrades as apart from the two bare heads they aren't much better than existing plastics. Plus I feel the Praetor isn't quite obvious as to what mark he's wearing so will go full Tartaros on the bodyguard to tie him back into that look. Got some nice 3rd party bits to wolf them up sufficiently.

Your Praetor is a beast! He's shaping up to be the grandest conversion I've ever seen and I'm sure his bodyguard will look appropriately epic alongside him. Awesome work as always.

In regards to the heads on sticks, I can't help but feel the second one from the right in the back row (double beard braid) looks like Ron Perlman.

Thank you so much Soric! I never had noticed but fab lol, everybody loves Ron Perlman and he´d make a hell of a Space Wolf!

Tru dat. He'd be the most fitting actor if they ever made a Horus Heresy movie/series.

Also because you called him a Space Wolf I had to respond with one of my favourite quotes in Vengeful Spirit :D

"Space Wolves? Ha. I forgot that was your idiot name for the Rout. If I didn't think you were being completely serious I'd rip your arms off"

Bror Tyrfingr - Knight Errant, formerly of the VIth Legion

Haha yes that Bror is epic. I actually started a conversion for a knight errant from the Rout just because I had some spare mkvi legs from tylos rubio and I was a fan of Blackmane as a kid so thought I might do him a new mini and make it count as a knight errant in 30k. Might as well make him be Bror!

• 3 weeks later...
Help!

I'm about to post quite a big update, but for now I'm trying to sort out the fluff and composition of my army based on the show Vikings. So far here's this:

Leaders:

Ragnar Lothbrok (Lord Bulveye / Geigor Fell-Hand)

Rollo Lothbrok (Hvarl Red-Blade)

Floki (Caster of Runes)

Harbard (Speaker of the Dead)

Athelstan (Speaker of the Dead)

Ivar the Boneless (Iron Priest)

The Seer (Navigator)

Leman Russ

Units:

Hunters of Kattegat (10 Veteran Space Marines), led by Huscarl Arne Bale-Eye and including Kauko, Leif, Knut, Torstein, Erik, Tostig

Raiders of Hedeby (10 Veteran Space Marines), led by Huscarl Kalf and including Einar and Siegfried

Kingslayers (5 Varagyr / Command Squad), led by Thegn Borg and including Earl Haraldson and Earl Horik

The Bloodied Claws (15 Grey Slayers), led by Bjorn Ironside and including Ubbe, Sigurd, Hvitserk and Guthrum

Gugnir (Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought

So far these are the cast choices, but I've since decided I'll build too a command squad with a standard bearer and two chosen to be Russ retinue and grant him Hit and Run in the Pale Spear, so I need to elevate three Vikings to that command squad.

My questions for any other fans of the show (I just finished season 3 so no spoilers please lol):

- Is Arne the best to lead the veterans of Kattegat? I only think of Torstein, Bjorn or Rollo as alternatives to be honest

- Rollo being Hvarl is too much? He's quite more powerful than Ragnar who, most often, will use Geigor's rules to go with the vets and have warrior's mettle

- Floki: Rune Caster or Speaker of the Dead?

- If don't make Rollo be Hvarl, would Harbard fit the bill since he's massive too and quite powerful?

My current thoughts are:

- Torstein as Standard Bearer (modelling him with one arm only)

- Really torn on using Floki as a Speaker of the Dead or keep him as Rune Caster, since I want to use the models I make and I feel the Speaker of the Dead is best almost always

- Any ideas on how to beef up named characters in the Hedeby squad without including massive :cusss like Erlendur?

I always saw Rollo as more of the beat stick rather than the crafty one.

Aethelstan as Rune caster and Floki as Iron priest... After all Floki is the builder of ships!!  

Brorn as Hvarl, Rollo as commander of the Varangi!!

Deal with Rollo and Bjorn!

In terms of Floki and Athelstan, I wanted them to be spiritual in manner since they represent the two religions for Ragnar so I think I'll keep them as caster and speaker unless I find a better replacement :)

Archived