3D Printed Terrain - Zone Mortalis

Col.hertford

the major downside of SketchUp is that it's really intended as an architectural 3D modeling program, so that's the scale it works best at. The upside in this case is also exactly that; since it's intended to create architectural environments, it's perfect for this project. Being really easy to learn doesn't hurt, either.

If you try to get down to 28mm size hardware, like shoulder fire weapons and other model sized things, it really struggles to produce even simple curved details and features. However, if you keep it reasonably simple, and stick with the larger subject matter of the board environment, and scenery elements, it should have enough control and fidelity.

• 2 months later...

Errrr, sorry for the delay. Some major problems with work interfered with this project. I'm still working on it, but I've had some technical glitches I need to sort out first with my 3D files.

In the mean time I'll just leave this here

IMG_0849.JPG

The long hobby war continues...

Oh, it's a Colford pattern Thunderhawk ^.^

Cool name... I'm thinking of mounting the front Heavy Bolters on the front wings.

Thoughts?

To be honest - I'm sure if FW would do a new pattern of Thunderhawk today, they would go with something like this:

gallery_79873_10492_22651.jpg

:P

@ Thanks Atia, will look at that. I need to learn how to work with balls...

Right, so back on the Zone Mortalis, I finally printed a wall test section to completion. I think it looks pretty good. The model has changed a bit since the original mock up. I realised that the detail was too much for Sketchup, so I have left some off. Maybe I can do a detailing pack later.

IMG_4703.JPG

I also printed a Mighty/Planetary Empires blank tile. This was a challenge and took a few goes to get it right.

IMG_4699.JPG

Any comment and criticism?

The long hobby war continues...

I'm impressed with the sharpness of detail on the wall section, not sure if quality of photo or my screen is hiding the layers but that almost looks like a resin cast and not 3d printed.

No doubt there is some surface texture there though, I shouldn't worry too much about cutting back on the detail, by adding it back later with a combination of 3d printed parts and also plastic kits/bitz box spares you'll be able to have an easier to manage library of walls which you can finish and draw a line under that part of the project as finished, and then customise them for more variety by designing the details separately. 

Archived