Special Character additional Wargear?

disease

If a unit (i.e. special character) doesn't have the option to take something in it's unit entry, it can't take it unless there is a specific other rule overruling that.

Example: Saul Tarvitz cannot take a Phoenix Power Spear because the spear requires you to be able to choose a Power Fist as an option in order to take it. He can't take a fist, so he also can't take the spear.

Different Example: Armillus Dynat may take a power dagger for 5 points, because the legion rules for the power dagger specifies that any character with Legiones Astartes (Alpha Legion) may take one in addition to their normal options.

I don't know, in my mind a special character has always only had options that are in their entry and cannot get anything else unless it actually says so. Like how Calgar can use his artificer armour or terminator armour. 

Some characters can, some can't. Another example is Strike Captain Maun; he's an IC with the LA:RG rules so he qualifies for camo. It depends on the legion rules. The Unique rule only prevents duplicates, nothing more.

Also remember that FW doesn't always follow GWs rules language or format. At best it's mimicry. They also use outdated rules, don't notice changes in rules, rewrite definitions unnecessarily, and sometimes their rules just flat out don't function. While I love them, don't get me wrong, this format is clearly 'fun-first'.

The formatting of the question shows the wrong mentality. It's not a question of whether there is something that's stopping you, the onus is on you to prove it is allowed.

Special characters had a specific rule preventing modification when all armies had a general wargear section everyone bought gear from, and that restriction I guess disappeared with the wargear section. I think the restriction of fielding only one of each special character doesn't exist either anymore, people just take both of these things for granted in 40K.

FW's notorious careless word choice does open up a can of worms, and while they have clarified their intent, if you want to play it RAW it is technically allowed in certain circumstances.

For whatever it's worth, it's not a huge deal. Dynat already has 2-3 fewer attacks than generic praetors, having a dagger doesn't break him. Mortug should have probably had Chem munitions from the start.

Actually, Forge World special characters all have "Unit Composition: 1 (Unique)", so you're right about that part of the rule stopping multiple Dynats.

Apart from the fact that there is a specific allowance to take them (which is in each item's description), I don't think these items break any of the characters. This is what it would allow:

- Cameleoline on Alvarex Maun,

- infravisors on Alvarex Maun & Kaedes Nex,

- power daggers on Armillus Dynat & Autilon Skorr,

- Cyber-familiars on Autek Mor & Shadrak Meduson,

- Dragonscale storm shield on Nomus Rhy'tan,

- Trophies of Judgement on Kheron Ophion,

- chem-munitions on Crysos Morturg.

Now, how about we look at 'Hammerfall Strike Force'... it allows all Independent Characters the ability to take Teleport Transponders for +10 points. Does this mean that Sigismund & Alexis Polux cannot take one? No, it is totally fine. Similarly, Durak Rask can take rad grenades in 'The Reaping'.

At least that's how I see it. ;)

Archived