Sisters of Silence Tactica

norngahl

Ew, itc with 30k.

Unmodified Invisibility is literally cancer. ITC version is miles better.

Hear, hear!

Looking at what they might be able to do I wouldn't mind grabbing them if I do a loyalist legion. Just so they can act as the figure towards any person using invisibility.

• 3 months later...

OK, Sisters. I'm not sure anyone else has been covering their rules in much depth so let's dive into it. This'll be my last rules coverage tonight as I'm getting really fatigued, but hopefully someone follows with a bit on the Sisters units themselves. This will make describing and discussing those easier, so if someone lists "Vratine Armour" and "Execution Blade" as wargear we're all on the same page.

Main Special Rules

Psychic Anathema:

• Models with PA are immune to all psychic powers and cannot be affected by them, and this includes the effects of Telepathy Discipline Blessings on enemy units that would hinder a unit with PA (so, if something has Invisibility...). Rule does not extend to Transports.
  • ALL UNITS w/in 12" of a model with PA sufer -1 to their leadership, -2 if they're a Psyker. Fearless models and other models with PA are not affected (models who are Immune to Fear are affected; sorry Death Guard)
  • Units w/in 12" of models with PA must re-roll failed Deny the Witch rolls
  • Daemons w/in 12" of models with PA sufer -1 to their Toughness, or if they have an armour value (chariots), you add +1 to any rolls they have to make on the vehicle damage table while within range
  • For models attempting to manifest a psychic power near a model with PA: -1 if within 12", -2 in base contact

Ex Oblivio:

• Deadlier version of the soulless PA rule above
  • Psychic models or units w/in 6" of a model with this rule at the start of their Psychic phase generate no additional Warp Charge dice
  • Psychic models in base contact with a model with EO at the start of any Psychic phase must make an immediate Ld test or suffer an immediate Perils at -1, and may not use any powers in that phase even if they survive

Fanatic Discipline:

• Fearless + Hatred (Psykers)

Company-Cadre:

• Cadre Structure: To field any units with this rule in a Talons list, the detachment must contain at least one HQ unit with this rule for every 3 non-HQ units
  • Cadre Tactics: all units in the detachment with Company-Cadre may take one of the following -> Infiltrate, Crusader, Stealth or Overawe (+1 total assault score)

Weapons

Psyk-out weapons: 

• Variety of grenades & missiles, all S2 and with the Psi-shock special rule (if a unit with at least 1 Psyker is hit by a weapon with the rule, a random Psyker in that unit suffers Perils)

Vratine Armour:

• It's a 3+ save.

Execution Blade:

• S+1 AP3, two-handed, Duellist's Edge and "Piercing Cut" (to hit rolls of 5-6 are at AP2)

Proteus Neuro-lash:

• S+1 AP-, two-handed, Electro-arc (roll a D6 for each hit made, each 3+ causes an additional AP- Poisoned (4+) hit), and Sweeping Strikes (may choose # of enemy models within 3" locked in combat with the bearer, instead of using their Attacks score to determine # of attacks they can make in Assault phase) 

Stake Crossbow :P

• 24" S5 AP- Psi-shock

10 Sisters with a tank...?

Anyway, yeah. A Sisters HQ model would be great to make them more accessible, because you definitely need at least 6. There's also an HQ unit that can be used instead of a character, but only for a Sisters Detachment of 500 points or less :( Still, that's only two sprues. Then you can run 9 Vigilators or Prosecutors and one as your Knight-Centura.

10 Sisters with a tank...?

Anyway, yeah. A Sisters HQ model would be great to make them more accessible, because you definitely need at least 6. There's also an HQ unit that can be used instead of a character, but only for a Sisters Detachment of 500 points or less :sad.: Still, that's only two sprues. Then you can run 9 Vigilators or Prosecutors and one as your Knight-Centura.

WRONG TOPIC YO D:

But they do have an assault Vehicle and will probably get the same bundles as the Custodes.

Oh, duh. You were thinking about the Custodes bundle. But yeah, definitely! I hope they get that vehicle and a Sisters character model out quickly; they can hold on the rest, but those two things will make Sisters very playable and easy to integrate as allies or into Talon lists. I guess we'll know in 4-5 hours.

I keep waking up with a start, coming out of light sleep dreams thinking it's time to head down and see new models. DAMN YOU BRAIN

While I'm stuck awake, is there any more SoS stuff anyone wants info on? I'm having a hard time keeping track of what's been info-dumped and where, except Garro's usual solid updates. edit: ah, it's all up on /tg/ or something. That didn't take long!

Edited by LetsYouDown

Does anyone know if the custodes non-transport tanks keep the "can only be taken if there is a custodes infantry unit in the army" rule? I want to make a sisters army with no custodes, but their only vehicle support would otherwise be just a transport unless they can jack the custodes tank.

If you're referring to the rule from the bottom of the Caladius' rules on the Forge World site, then no, there's nothing like that in the rules proper. There doesn't seem to be any kind of restrictions on how you go about combining Sisters of Silence and Custodes units in a Talons of the Emperor list, at least not that I've seen.

To ask a question of my own: Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the Pursuer Cadre? I'm really not seeing why I might want to take a unit like that instead of Vigilators or Oblivion Knights.

Edited by Brightstar

To ask a question of my own: Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the Pursuer Cadre? I'm really not seeing why I might want to take a unit like that instead of Vigilators or Oblivion Knights.

Because they are the coolest thing ever! :)

But in reality, I'm not sure yet. Perhaps a combination of both beasties is the trick:

- Cyber-jackals have T4 & FNP, so that makes the unit more survivable (if you max them out to raise the average Toughness). They also have 4 S4 attacks each on the charge, but their not going to punch through armour saves. Flamers are cool, especially when they're coming out of their mouths. Meltaguns are a waste of points firing at BS2.

- Steeltalon Wings are basically swarms. 3's across the board, with I5 attacks that Blind the enemy. They won't help raise the average Toughness of the unit though - being T2 they may lower it!

- maybe use Steeltalon Wings to Blind the enemy when combo-charging with other units?

When they do models for these, I'm buying them so fast though! :)

Does anyone else have the impulse to make a Seeker Cadre with 10 Sisters, all with grenade launchers so that they can pump ten psyk-out grenades into Magnus?  I just picture him standing, glorious and powerful, and then just having his mind torn apart as he goes insane as he's hit by a barrage of grenades.

Edited by Ficinus

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever make a list with a ten woman Seeker Cadre, much less with grenade launchers, because it would only be useful against Thousand Sons, Lorgar, and Daemons, and it would make most games un-fun.  I might make up two or three squads of them anyway for Apoc level games: then I wouldn't feel as bad about killing Magnus first turn. EDIT: Actually, after reading the insane levels of magic shenanigans going on in the Thousand Sons Tactica thread, maybe taking one unit of ten against them wouldn't be so unfair... the only question would be whether hitting a unit with eight psi-shock attacks would require every unit in the army to take eight pinning tests (because eight perils were rolled), that might be a bit much.

I was wondering if people see much use for Vigilator Squads?  They're essentially the same number of points as Oblivion Knight cadres (I think a full squad of Vigilators is five points cheaper).  Oblivion Knights have two attacks and a better anti-psyker rule, while Vigilators have Preferred Enemy.  I feel like I'd rather run Prosecutors (or Custodes) for troops.

Oh, and Oblivion Knight Cadres in Kharon Pattern Acquisitors with Outflank (from Infiltrate), yes please.  Give me four.  Give me a second detachment so I can have eight.  The Acquisitors have a pretty impressive amount of firepower and the next turn the squad can jump out and assault. Oh, and in case you face a lot of shooting, the Acquisitor can jink for a 3+.

Edited by Ficinus

Yeah, Vigilator squads feel a little bit lacking on their own merits, and their pricing when set against Oblivion Knights is just plain nonsensical. I'd been thinking about taking a squad of them for compulsory Troops choice in an Allied Detachment and sticking them with a Knight-Centura in a Kharon as a lesser version of Oblivion Knights, but as soon as I got away from that idea and started considering Prosecutors instead I quickly realised that there was far more value in saving 250-ish points.

So am I right in thinking that Jenetia Krole could allow a unit in a Kharon to Infiltrate and then make a 12" Scout move before the start of the game?

Yes, I believe you can, but the Scout rule prevents you from coming with 12 inches of an enemy unit and both the Scout and Infiltrate rules prevent you from assaulting on turn one. It could still be useful for a Seeker Cadre with flamers for some first turn burning. Unless you plan on doing that, though, it might be better to give the Scout moves to any Custodes units you have in the force? A Scouting Dread or Termies/Hetaeron Guard in a Coronus might be better. Or scout up some Jetbikes or a Caladius to get some turn one side armour shots. Edited by Ficinus

I'd go with this:

Jenetia Krole 150

Oblivion Knight Cadre of 10, Raptor Guard 170pts

-Acquisitor 125pts

Vigilator Cadre of 10 145pts

-Acquisitor 125pts

Add Krole to the vigilators and you have 2 decently scary CC units in assault transports that most importantly have Ex Oblivio. 715pts is harsh but not unbearable, could always run fewer sisters if you want to.

I'd go with this:

Jenetia Krole 150

Oblivion Knight Cadre of 10, Raptor Guard 170pts

-Acquisitor 125pts

Vigilator Cadre of 10 145pts

-Acquisitor 125pts

Add Krole to the vigilators and you have 2 decently scary CC units in assault transports that most importantly have Ex Oblivio. 715pts is harsh but not unbearable, could always run fewer sisters if you want to.

Nice. 715pt is actually perfectly reasonable for 3k, so I am definitely doing this. Plus, the transports look amazing. :D I am already brainstorming painting them! 

I'd go for black as the black ships (or Black Ships? It's their name after all).

Should look cool and scary.

I was going to do Aluminum or Chrome basecoat, then blue/purple/brown inks for tonal variety and likely in somewhat swirled patterns, and then hit it with Tamiya Smoke. 

I figure that will give it the strange look that they describe in the fluff. :D